Wil the tardis ever change from a police box?

jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
Forum Member
✭✭
now before you ask i don't mean permanently :) id love to see a scenario like Attack of the Cybermen where 12 fixes it for a episode only to break it again :) i think it would give younger views and those who are new to who the chance to see what happens when i really works. i think it changing into something funny and random like a car or a statue :)
Although it looks like it may somewhat happen in series 8 with the mini tardis police box pictures.

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far too iconic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I agree with jxbrenna. It would be fun to see the chameleon circuit "fixed" before breaking down again not long after. Or the Doctor changing the appearance on a whim, before changing his mind again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    More likely for the inside to change.I'd like to see the secondary control room again.would be a nice change.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,056
    Forum Member
    Now the Doctor can make the TARDIS invisible when it lands or leave it in orbit above a planet and 'beam' down, I don't think he'll bother with fixing the chameleon circuit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something occurred to me while watching Mark of the Rani for the first time in years.

The Rani's chameleon circuit also appears to be knackered!
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the sort of gimmick they'd try if the series starts floundering,that or another Ken Dodd appearance
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a good way to do it is he decides to fix the circuit within the opening moments of the episode, only to change it back when he starts to miss the police box and starts to find the constant change irritating and walks into the tardis and just deliberately breaks the circuit reverting back to how it should be.
  • kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 2,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or it changes without him knowing and then he can't find it again in an emergency.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,324
    Forum Member
    Could be fun for one episode, as long as it is back permanently as a police box at the end.

I think that a good idea for an episode would be that the doctor lands on earth in the 50's or 60's and then the doctor and companion get thrown out mid flight, and then they have no idea where the TARDIS landed and there are loads of police boxes around making it really hard to find. Could imagine the doctor at the third one he's seen holding the door handle going 'c'mon, tell me it's you this time' only to open the door and find it's just yet another police box.

Obviously there would have to be some sort of alien problem where he was searching as well to give it a bit more flavour so he's saving the town and searching for the TARDIS at the same time. I imagine as he finally finds right when he wasn't expecting to at a pivotal moment during a fight with the enemy.
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the TARDIS lands at a public event and changes into a portaloo.
    And some different person open the doors and runs into the TARDIS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    What about the TARDIS lands at a public event and changes into a portaloo.
    And some different person open the doors and runs into the TARDIS.

Don't want to sound rude but are you actually genuinely asking this question as a fan or is this trolling?

The construction of your post looks more like a piss take than a question!

Apologies if genuine!
  • dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Don't want to sound rude but are you actually genuinely asking this question as a fan or is this trolling?

Apologies if genuine!

asking as a fan,what other fan with think of the idea,

my grandpa had a nickname for portaloos
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't object to the Tardis having a new 'disguise' for a one-off story. But the police box must always remain in my eyes!

Speaking of which - The Master's Tardis wasn't that clever was it? For something that is supposed to 'blend in with the surroundings' his was a bush in a planter on the rocky planet of Logopolis, then a stone Roman Column. Previously it was a grandfather clock on the alien planet Traken!!
  • KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't object to the Tardis having a new 'disguise' for a one-off story. But the police box must always remain in my eyes!

Speaking of which - The Master's Tardis wasn't that clever was it? For something that is supposed to 'blend in with the surroundings' his was a bush in a planter on the rocky planet of Logopolis, then a stone Roman Column. Previously it was a grandfather clock on the alien planet Traken!!

Far too Ionic
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and then they have no idea where the TARDIS landed and there are loads of police boxes around making it really hard to find. Could imagine the doctor at the third one he's seen holding the door handle going 'c'mon, tell me it's you this time' only to open the door and find it's just yet another police box.

Like in Doctor, Widow, Wardrobe?
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This should NEVER happen.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot see it ever happening. The Blue Police Box is far too iconic. When people talk about the Tardis, and someone says, "what does it look like on the outside?", the reply is "A Blue Police Box from the 1960s."

It would be nice, if the Doctor could get the Chamelion Circuit working properly again, so the time-machine could blend in with it's surroundings, but I personally want it to stay as it is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    now before you ask i don't mean permanently :) id love to see a scenario like Attack of the Cybermen where 12 fixes it for a episode only to break it again :) i think it would give younger views and those who are new to who the chance to see what happens when i really works. i think it changing into something funny and random like a car or a statue :)
    Although it looks like it may somewhat happen in series 8 with the mini tardis police box pictures.

What?!? :confused: They're not shrinking the Tardis in Series 8 are they? :o:confused: They did that back in 1981, in Logopolis. If you ask me, the special effects when the Tardis began to shrink, were not all that good to be honest.

Let's just hope that the effects are better this time, if they do decide to shrink the Tardis, and that it is only temporary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could imagine the doctor at the third one he's seen holding the door handle going 'c'mon, tell me it's you this time' only to open the door and find it's just yet another police box.

That happened in Logopolis in 1981. The Fourth Doctor and Adric succesfully managed to get a Tardis to fit inside his, and when he walked inside that one, and went out the other side, he was back in the main Console Room again.

A simillar thing happened in, I think it was called 'Time'. That was a minisode filmed for either Comic Relief or Children In Need. We had two Amelia Ponds, and we also saw the Blue Police Box inside the Eleventh Doctor's Console Room.
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Did we all forget what the 9th Doctor said? When asked by Rose he mentioned the circuit was damaged, but now fixed, but he keeps it that way because he's grown to like it. Not to mention the later upgrades the TARDIS got like the perception filter (Series 3) and the Stealth Cloak (Series 6), it really doesn't have a need to change form anymore.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    Maybe also the TARDIS itself likes it that way too?

I wouldn't mind if it change it's appearance for an episode or even a short run with a variety of appearances. So long as it reverted to the police box form.

Easily done with a new Doctor, as we are about to have now. He might have a different attitude to start with, or even just be curious to try different appearances.

The real reason why it would always have to revert to a police box is not "in story" at all. The police box form has become iconic for the show's audience. It allows the audience to recognise it and the show instantly. It's the same reason why many regular characters (companions, the Doctor himself) wear the same costume throughout, particularly in classic Who and other old TV shows. Recent Who has changed that a little, but costumes remain the same for long periods nonetheless. Instant recognition is valuable to show makers.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    It already does change - as Eleven said:

"Every time the TARDIS materialises in a new location, within the first nanosecond of landing, it analyses its surroundings, calculates a twelve-dimensional data map of everything within a thousand-mile radius and then determines which outer shell would blend in best with the environment.... and then it disguises itself as a police telephone box from 1963."

So it does change... it just changes into the exact same thing (more or less).
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,475
    Forum Member
    A riff on the Nutrimatic Vending Machine from "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :) As has been noted hereabouts before:
    "He [Arthur Dent] had found a Nutri-Matic machine which had provided him with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea. The way it functioned was very interesting. When the Drink button was pressed it made an instant but highly detailed examination of the subject's taste buds, a spectroscopic examination of the subject's metabolism and then sent tiny experimental signals down the neural pathways to the taste centers of the subject's brain to see what was likely to go down well. However, no one knew quite why it did this because it invariably delivered a cupful of liquid that was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea."
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    A riff on the Nutrimatic Vending Machine from "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :) As has been noted hereabouts before:

Another hit from the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation, and we all know what happen to them.

;-)
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »

Apologies if genuine!

In response to a suggestion that the TARDIS could look like a Portaloo, you wondered if this was a piss take... well I thought it was funny... :)