The Return of Sharon WATTS

Comments

• J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filiman wrote: »
    I love this "dean is a poor actress" line. Id take it a bit more seriously if it had been a continuous criticism but few had a problem with her acting on here in the 00s (most of the criticism was directed at the characterisation). I find it very interesting that all of a sudden there is this mass wave of Sharon-loathers who all have "always" had a problem with dean's acting.

Maybe it's a mass coincidence and they're all genuine... And maybe the other theories are more probable.

I don't know about other posters as I wasn't on here in the mid-2000s but I've always thought her poor as long as I've been watching. Personally I've seen very few criticisms that 'she's poor now and she's always been poor', mostly just people saying they think she's poor with no quantification of how long they've thought that.
  • Dr K NoisewaterDr K Noisewater Posts: 11,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she does at least marry phil just so she can get divorced and be Sharon watts again. I mean I liked Dennis, one of my fav male characters, but rickman carries none of EE iconicity and whiffs a tad of retconning. I think id even prefer Sharon Mitchell.:o

Lol that brings to mind a scene in 2001 where Sharon was looking at an earlier deed for the vic. Proprietors: grant Mitchell, Sharon Mitchell, phil Mitchell.

Them old days.

I agree she should definitely go back to being Sharon Watts it's iconic, Sharon Rickman doesn't suit her. I would like to see her change little Dennis's surname to Watts as well if you think about it he should be Watts. Dennis was his father and although he was Rickman he was the son of Den Watts so Watts was his rightful surname.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really get the obsession with Chrissie and why would she want to go anywhere near Sharon when she murdered her dad.

As Filiman pointed out she is one of EE greatest ever characters and Tracy Ann Oberman played the role to absolutely perfection. Chrissie returning would definitely bring the drama up a notch or two. Walford would definitely change forever if Chrissie where to return.

If Ronnie can return to the Square, then why can't Chrissie?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,836
    Forum Member
    I don't really get the obsession with Chrissie and why would she want to go anywhere near Sharon when she murdered her dad.

That's true of a lot of characters though. Why would Stacey return? Her mother lives elsewhere and she knew kat for, what, a year and a half? Why would Stacey come back.

Why Ronnie. London's a fairly large city. She could move anywhere and still be able to see roxy. Why return to the scene of her crime and the place where her father was murdered.

It's the same for a lot of characters. If you objected to their returns then, yep, you are in the right really. But you can't say it's ok for one lot of characters to defy realism and not another... Especially when the pay is bringing back Chrissie who as a character is far more dynamic than most and played by a superb actress.

The only real problem with bringing back Chrissie is the writing. She was, until the last 2 months or so, perfectly written (mostly by Sarah phelps) and even in her last few months was better written than anything the show has done since at least 2007. I don't know if I'd want her back just to be ruined by crap writing.
  • olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isnt she Sharon Rickman?

sorry, Im confused - I know she used to be Sharon Watts but is she going back to her maiden name :confused::confused::blush::confused:
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tracy Ann Oberman accused EE writers of being on drugs and said most of her scripts were crap. I doubt for that reason they will ever ask her back.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bringing Chrissie back would be far-fetched - but no more far-fetched than bringing Stacey or Ronnie back, as others have pointed out. The potential for drama is incredible. Just as Sharon is starting to get her life back together BOOM Chrissie Watts returns. If it coincided with a return from Grant it could be amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tracy Ann Oberman accused EE writers of being on drugs and said most of her scripts were crap. I doubt for that reason they will ever ask her back.

Her comment about the writers was tongue in cheek, and as far as I can recall she never said the scripts were crap. Patsy Palmer said FAR worse about the show and was welcomed back with open arms. The writers would be stupid to not ask Oberman to return.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So who is looking forward to this??? I can't wait - haven't felt like this since it was announced Sharon was actually returning.... Let's hope it isn't as dissappointing. But given dtc said he is bringing back "old school" Sharon I think we won't be disappointed.

Who reckons she'll be like her father and step-mother and completely screw over the Mitchells and phil?

And who reckons she'll let the nicer side of her win out in the end?

I agree. I have to say Sharon of late has been quite good especially with Johnny and in the Albert but she can be even more fabulous.

I hope she kicks Philths saggy red arse!
    Forum Member

Yeah her comments were tongue in check and she praised EE as a great calling card. Aside from that one comment (where she wasn't being literal) she has had nothing but praise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bass55 wrote: »
    Bringing Chrissie back would be far-fetched - but no more far-fetched than bringing Stacey or Ronnie back, as others have pointed out. The potential for drama is incredible. Just as Sharon is starting to get her life back together BOOM Chrissie Watts returns. If it coincided with a return from Grant it could be amazing.

This. I can just imagine the look of disgust and fear on Sharon, Kat and Stacey's faces as Chrissie Watts walks back into their lives. While Chrissie would of course in the process make more enemies and corrupt the more innocent citizens of Albert Square.

Her return would be literally epic (and I hate using that word) :D.
    Forum Member
    Of course oberman may not want to return. She has always said she'd love to but it's not like she needs work and EE is not the same show it once was when she was on it. I mean when she was on it the press were all over EE because they thought it was failing... Nowadays the press don't really care. They pretty much ignored newman's catastrophic reign....
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would love chrissie and grant back in Sharon's life
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's got any sense he will. I mean he moved heaven and earth for Stacey and Shirley don't see why he can't for one of EE greatest characters and actresses.

The problem is she was only on the show for less then two years her storylines was linked to Den and The Watts beyond on that she was surplus to requirements as good as a character she was, she didn't/doesn't imo have the same place as the likes of Stacey or Shirley who been on longer and had more development and storylines.
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    This. I can just imagine the look of disgust and fear on Sharon, Kat and Stacey's faces as Chrissie Watts walks back into their lives. While Chrissie would of course in the process make more enemies and corrupt the more innocent citizens of Albert Square.

Her return would be literally epic (and I hate using that word) :D.

I would sooooo love to see her and Stacey interact. So want that.

She wouldn't even need to be a square resident. Make her the new boss of the firm and bring her in every 4/5 months to threaten a resident of Walford (Stacey!!!).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course oberman may not want to return. She has always said she'd love to but it's not like she needs work and EE is not the same show it once was when she was on it. I mean when she was on it the press were all over EE because they thought it was failing... Nowadays the press don't really care. They pretty much ignored newman's catastrophic reign....

Chrissie was literally the only thing holding the show together in that period, it's no wonder Oberman quit after less than two years. She must have been exhausted. I adored Chrissie and would love a return, but realistically I don't ever expect it to happen :(
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    The problem is she was only on the show for less then two years her storylines was linked to Den and The Watts beyond on that she was surplus to requirements as good as a character she was, she didn't/doesn't imo have the same place as the likes of Stacey or Shirley who been on longer and had more development and storylines.

Again, that's true of a lot of characters. Beyond the Mitchells Ronnie is surplus as she never really interacted with the brannings.

Shirley still has had little development and only recently has had family brought in for her. I don't see length of screen time as being commeserate with quality and potential, otherwise big mo would be a great character.

As long as Sharon is on the square there is a connection. Hell, you could bring Chrissie back looking for forgiveness. Why? Because she was a 3 dimensional character. She never meant to kill den; had guilt over her action; tried to turn herself in twice and own up to Sharon. Bring her back claiming she's turned over a new leaf but really....,

She could even come back looking for jake moon. That's a pretty realistic reason IMO.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chrissie would work well as a recurring nemesis to Sharon. As Filiman said, she wouldn't even need to live on the square. Perhaps she's been out of prison a few years now and is running a rival bar close to Albert Square. Maybe it's even a dodgy front for a criminal organisation. She could pop in and out on a recurring basis to cause trouble for Sharon and the Mitchells or even characters she hasn't met yet if they cross her. Chrissie is too good a character to never be seen again.
    Forum Member
    bass55 wrote: »
    Chrissie was literally the only thing holding the show together in that period, it's no wonder Oberman quit after less than two years. She must have been exhausted. I adored Chrissie and would love a return, but realistically I don't ever expect it to happen :(

I agree 100%. I used to be annoyed by the probability but let's be honest... Since the later half of the 00s EE has had a notoriously bad record with returns. They'd probably bring her back as a little mo type scarred by jail. I'd HATE that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if they could tempt TAO back for a month or two, I'd be fine with that. Better seeing a little of Chrissie rather than never seeing her again. Look I know TAO has always been above the show which was probably the main reason why she left after less than two years, but I think she would be more than happy returning for a brief period of time.

Unfortunately TPTB are reluctant to reintroduce characters prior to Santer's reign.
    Forum Member
    Chrissie would work well as a recurring nemesis to Sharon. As Filiman said, she wouldn't even need to live on the square. Perhaps she's been out of prison a few years now and is running a rival bar close to Albert Square. Maybe it's even a dodgy front for a criminal organisation. She could pop in and out on a recurring basis to cause trouble for Sharon and the Mitchells or even characters she hasn't met yet if they cross her. Chrissie is too good a character to never be seen again.

Great idea. She was a fab landlady - can definately see her fronting a bar for some nefarious activity. Oberman reckons Chrissie would be top dog during her prison stints - you don't get that without making some connections. :)
    Forum Member
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    Even if they could tempt TAO back for a month or two, I'd be fine with that. Better seeing a little of Chrissie rather than never seeing her again. Look I know TAO has always been above the show which was the main reason why she left after less than two years, but I think she would be more than happy returning for a brief period of time.

Unfortunately TPTB are reluctant to reintroduce characters prior to Santer's reign.

Yes, very true.
    Forum Member
    My ultimate EE fantasy is to have Sharon, Chrissie and Vicki (recast as a female den watts) all back on the show: with a short 20 sec advert of the 3 walking out of smoke and shadows and the VoiceOver - "the Watts women back on EE".

Lol.
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The lack of returnees from before Santer's era (okay, there have been a few) is a bit silly. I know the BBC are chasing after recent and younger viewers but you'd be surprised at how many older people are watching the soaps. Those of us who remember 10, 20, 30 years ago. I know a lot of the recent returnees have made sense storyline wise but I hope DTC and future EPs won't be limiting themselves just to returnees from Santer's era onwards. EastEnders will be celebrating its 30th anniversary next year and I hope it won't be like the 25th anniversary which largely celebrated recent history.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, that's true of a lot of characters. Beyond the Mitchells Ronnie is surplus as she never really interacted with the brannings.

Shirley still has had little development and only recently has had family brought in for her. I don't see length of screen time as being commeserate with quality and potential, otherwise big mo would be a great character.

As long as Sharon is on the square there is a connection. Hell, you could bring Chrissie back looking for forgiveness. Why? Because she was a 3 dimensional character. She never meant to kill den; had guilt over her action; tried to turn herself in twice and own up to Sharon. Bring her back claiming she's turned over a new leaf but really....,

She could even come back looking for jake moon. That's a pretty realistic reason IMO.

True but I think length sometimes does have a lot to do with it when considering bringing back characters I mean it's not out of the realms of possibility in bringing her back even for a brief stint, I never thought Mandy after 17 years would work and Chrissie would have more then a reason, it would be about nine years now if she still inside a revenge plot like Dan Sullivan style would be amazing, she been inside for a long time venting but ultimately I don't think it would be on their horizon.

I guess what I mean in bringing back Stacey, Ronnie and making room for Shirley is there more relevant and identifiable to viewers.