Electricity meters

babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
Forum Member
Hi

Our current property has electric heaters and a water tank for the hot water. The current electricity meter we have is an Economy 7 one.

I've been doing some reading up on these and found that it's best to have if you have storage heaters and/or a water tank (the heaters aren't storage, you just switch them on and heat comes out).

I work from home so I have electricity on most of the day and in the evening, some is used after the 11pm or whatever the start time is for the cheap rate so I was thinking of changing to a normal meter instead of an Economy 7 one. However, because I have a water tank I'm unsure whether this is right or not? Can anyone advise? There is a timer thing in the kitchen which has a booster for hot water and switch saying "water heater" with the options of "off" and "timed" - it's on timed at the moment and has a red light - I don't know what the actual timings are for the hot water and don't really know what this means - it's just been left on "timed" since we moved in.

Is it worth changing to a normal meter if I have a hot water tank?

Thanks for any help!!

bab
x

Comments

• evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I don't see that it makes any difference whether you have a water tank or not. You're paying for the electricity you are using and that's it. You get charged different unit rates depending on the time of day or night and the tariff you are on with your supplier. All you need to do is add up the units you are using, then compare the costs you are paying on the (Economy 7) tariff with another tariff.

Then, from your bills, work out your total kWh over 12 months and try a switching service so you can compare different suppliers costs to see if you can save money: http://www.which.co.uk/switch/

You need to get a grip of yourself and find out exactly when the heater is on or off and what the light means, and at what times exactly (not 'whatever') the electricity unit charges are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=babinaba;63524361

The current electricity meter we have is an Economy 7 one.

x[/QUOTE]

My mum has a economy 7 meter, but she is not on a Economy 7 tariff. They just take the night and day reading and add them together and apply that to the standard tariff she is on.

Suggest you call you supplier and discuss the best tariff for your need.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I don't see that it makes any difference whether you have a water tank or not.

If it uses an electric heating element, then it could be heated up overnight on the cheaper tariff.

But arranging it so that the bulk of the heating is done at night can be awkward (if you prefer baths in the evening rather than the morning for example).

If the cheaper rate isn't being made use of, then it might be better to use a normal tariff, which might cost less than the day tariff of the Economy 7. (At least that's what I found in the 1980s. Things may have changed ...)
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    evil c wrote: »
    I don't see that it makes any difference whether you have a water tank or not. You're paying for the electricity you are using and that's it. You get charged different unit rates depending on the time of day or night and the tariff you are on with your supplier. All you need to do is add up the units you are using, then compare the costs you are paying on the (Economy 7) tariff with another tariff.

Then, from your bills, work out your total kWh over 12 months and try a switching service so you can compare different suppliers costs to see if you can save money: http://www.which.co.uk/switch/

You need to get a grip of yourself and find out exactly when the heater is on or off and what the light means, and at what times exactly (not 'whatever') the electricity unit charges are.

excuse me?? want to be any more rude??

the only way for me to find out is to stand for 24 hours and watch the on/off light for when the timer is on. Unfortunately there is no other way for me to get a bloody grip and find out.

And the reason I asked about the water tank is because when researching E7 tariffs it says it's for those with storage heaters and/or water tanks - I'm in the or water tank section
    Forum Member
    Irvine wrote: »
    My mum has a economy 7 meter, but she is not on a Economy 7 tariff. They just take the night and day reading and add them together and apply that to the standard tariff she is on.

Suggest you call you supplier and discuss the best tariff for your need.

that would be good - thanks
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    If it uses an electric heating element, then it could be heated up overnight on the cheaper tariff.

But arranging it so that the bulk of the heating is done at night can be awkward (if you prefer baths in the evening rather than the morning for example).

If the cheaper rate isn't being made use of, then it might be better to use a normal tariff, which might cost less than the day tariff of the Economy 7. (At least that's what I found in the 1980s. Things may have changed ...)

I'm not sure how to tell when its set to heat up unfortunately
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi babinaba - any way you could post a picture of the "timer thing " in the kitchen as this might give a clue as to how it works . Does it have any sort of digital display for instance which might suggest that the "times " can be set/changed ?
    Forum Member
    I will post a pic no probs - no digital display. Thanks
    Forum Member
    Here is a pic of the water heater thing:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/78423983/DSC_0926.jpg
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    When I bought my present property it had two electric meters, why, I have no idea but one was economy7.
    I spoke to my friendly electrician who sorted it out for me.
    Do you know an electrician who could help you ? and maybe you could speak to your supplier.
    Like all of us you want to be on the cheapest tariff possible.
    Forum Member
    AmberPanda wrote: »
    When I bought my present property it had two electric meters, why, I have no idea but one was economy7.
    I spoke to my friendly electrician who sorted it out for me.
    Do you know an electrician who could help you ? and maybe you could speak to your supplier.
    Like all of us you want to be on the cheapest tariff possible.

I don't know an electrician but I'm happy to speak to my supplier - I've just changed with them (on an E7 tariff) and apparently I need to wait a few weeks after the start date with them before I can change to a standard tariff if that is what would be better for me - it's just making sure they'll not benefit as you say, I want to be on the cheapest possible and it's not about them mis-selling but I want to make sure that E7 is going to be more expensive than standard, I'll try and do the sums to see what units are being used and get the rates for the standard tariff.
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again - looking at the "timer " and the way you have it set it is doing nothing to boost your hot water . With the switch in the "timed" position (as it is now ) then turning the knob marked up to maximum of 2 hrs will cause your water to be heated for up to 2 hrs (determined by how far round you turn the knob) outside of the hours that it normally heats .
    At the moment your water is heating during the preset hours of the Econ 7 meter .I would expect your supplier to be able to tell you when these hours are .
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't say whether you own the house or not (or I've missed it). If you own the house it would probably well be worth getting storage heaters fitted and making full use of the Economy 7 tarriff.

In terms of the water heater assuming it is large enough and properly insulated then there should be plenty of water for a bath in the evening from the cheaper overnight heating. I used to live in a house with such an arrangement and I never had to use the boost in 8 years. It was cheaper for me to use the Economy 7 even though the space heating was gas and it may be for you as well - it depends on your usage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have another timer near your electricity meter for controlling the hours the water heater is on. I only have mine on an hour from 6-7am and it lasts pretty much until the nighttime, so having it on for 7 hours is probably overkill. I sometimes run out if I'm in all day and doing a lot of cleaning using water or have a bath but generally it's ok.

I moved into a property that has storage heaters and a hot water tank from having a gas combi and was dreading it (I thought they'd be a right pain) but I actually find them brilliant. I have the storage heaters on 3 or 4 out of 6 and leave the output closed, and the house is toasty morning and night. They're pretty old heaters, look early 90s vintage Credas so they have probably improved a bit since then too. I bet those heaters are costing quite a bit.

I somehow manage to use more electricity during the day than at night... I only really have a broadband router, cordless phone and a DVR on, the TV is on maybe 2 hours a day if that. My fridge freezer was knackered though and in overdrive mode 24/7 so I'm expecting the bill to come down a bit this month as it has been replaced!
    Forum Member
    AlphaK wrote: »
    Hi again - looking at the "timer " and the way you have it set it is doing nothing to boost your hot water . With the switch in the "timed" position (as it is now ) then turning the knob marked up to maximum of 2 hrs will cause your water to be heated for up to 2 hrs (determined by how far round you turn the knob) outside of the hours that it normally heats .
    At the moment your water is heating during the preset hours of the Econ 7 meter .I would expect your supplier to be able to tell you when these hours are .

Thanks, I never use the knob marked 2 hours, I've only turned it round once to see what it did lol.

I wasn't sure when it was being heated up but if it's during the E7 hours I guess I could work out how much it'll be on a standard tariff. If I had to change meters would the times the water tank heat still stay the same?

Also, in an evening there is enough hot water left for a bath. We rent the house so can't change the heaters, if I didn't work during the day I wouldn't bother so much but if it's cold I have the heater on which will ne using electric that I wouldn't be if out

Thanks for your replies and help :)
  • AmberPandaAmberPanda Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    babinaba.....I had a thought, you say you work from home, how about one of those oil fired electric heaters, I have a couple of small ones which I bought when in my last property.
    They are very good and fairly cheap to run.
    In my present property I keep one in the conservatory although I have a rad in there, I like to sit in there in the morning and it can get cold.
    Also how about one of those small heat pads like a mini electric blanket, now they really are cheap to run and if you are sitting still for a period of time they really do keep you warm, got mine on against my back at the moment as the heating not due to come on until 7pm.
    Just a couple of ideas to try and keep bills down. :D
    Forum Member
    Thanks - I did think about a heater that didn't use electricity - will look into that.

Is it worth me staying on E7 then if it's heating all my water at night?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    babinaba wrote: »
    Thanks - I did think about a heater that didn't use electricity - will look into that.

Is it worth me staying on E7 then if it's heating all my water at night?

When do you use th most electricity?

Take some readings over some days and nights.

If your peak use is days get off economy seven.

When mum had it she had the washing machine on a timer so it came on during the night on the cheap rate.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it were me I'd go here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13 where they could tell you how much day and night units you need to use to make E7 worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Most of it is used during the day.

I'll have a look at the link. Ta! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick google search found that you need to use more then 40% at night to make it worthwhile. So you can use more in the day and still be quids in but less than 60%.
    Forum Member
    A quick google search found that you need to use more then 40% at night to make it worthwhile. So you can use more in the day and still be quids in but less than 60%.

Yeah, I noticed that too when I was looking to change tariffs and I think I do use more than 40 as the hours for night rate are like between 11pm and 6am and nothing is on but the usual - fridge etc nit I didn't know about the water tank and when that heated up. What I'll do is keep an eye on the units used and see what the standard rate is.
    Forum Member
    Just an update, I've been keeping a record of all units used and I did a check online by inputting the readings and it would be more expensive to change from Economy 7. However my bills are huge and I don't know whether this is because the water is on all the time (heating?), trying to keep the electric heaters off, I don't know how much they use. Just a bit of a mess at the mo with the bills, changed tariff and EDF said that the wrong starting reading was input and were getting the right one from my old supplier, this was in December, been speaking to them today and they "think" the right meter readings are down now but it should take up to 8 weeks to sort out (I did point out that it's more than 8 weeks now but he didn't seem to understand that it's been going on since Dec). I don't know whether this has lead to my high bills or whether it is just purely overuse (and possibly the water tank) on our part..... :(
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Providing the water tank is properly lagged then it should be okay as long as you don't keep using the boost and of course it is set to timer. The tank should be large enough to usually last all day on the overnight charge otherwise it is too small.
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an E7 water heater should have 2 heaters one for E7 which turns on at night and one for normal daytime tarrif, the electric heating the Op mentioned is not E7