Freesat transponder data

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or the other 2 licensed ones, Rush HD & Ultra HD ;)

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1374.htm
    http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/tvlicensing/cs/1373.htm

But they are subscription & ad free in the US :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    The EPG on Freesat could be 14 days and receivers can see five and channel 4 etc etc channels in the EPG. Is there anything that supports this by using these tools?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, first post.

I'm interested in the whole freesat thing, looking to buy into it very soon but the whole "compatible EPG" thing has me holding back.

Am I correct in suspecting that a satellite HD receiver would pickup this EPG data and thus give me an EPG? or am I totally wrong on this?
  • rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the_fly wrote: »

Am I correct in suspecting that a satellite HD receiver would pickup this EPG data and thus give me an EPG? or am I totally wrong on this?

If you have a Freesat licensed/badged HD Receiver, you will receive the full Freesat EPG and be able to use PVR functions with ease.

If you use a mass market HD Receiver, you will only get Now and Next Data (as happens now).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    So the raft of HD receivers just now (Pace DS810XE, Fortec Star and Topfield 7700 for example) are only going to have 'now and next' ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the raft of HD receivers just now (Pace DS810XE, Fortec Star and Topfield 7700 for example) are only going to have 'now and next' ?

Correct :D
  • qpw3141qpw3141 Posts: 4,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, at least until:

a) Freesat get's it's act together and licenses one of the above.

and

b) One of the above thinks it's worth their while to add the Freesat specific software to their offering.
  • daveacdaveac Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I have the Pace DS810XE and I know it won't be a 'full' Freesat machine.

But s it worth doing a rescan yet?

Or will it be a few weeks before that's worth doing?

Thanks, daveac
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveac wrote: »
    I have the Pace DS810XE and I know it won't be a 'full' Freesat machine.

But s it worth doing a rescan yet?

Or will it be a few weeks before that's worth doing?

Thanks, daveac

A rescan will achieve nothing directly related to Freesat.

Freesat is little more than an EPG.

The Channels on it are exactly the same FTA Channels that you already get.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote: »
    A rescan will achieve nothing directly related to Freesat.

Freesat is little more than an EPG.

The Channels on it are exactly the same FTA Channels that you already get.

With the exception that ITV HD should be appearing around a similar time (on Sky as well), but I'm sure it wil be mentioned here :D , no need to randomly rescan.
  • daveacdaveac Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    With the exception that ITV HD should be appearing around a similar time (on Sky as well), but I'm sure it wil be mentioned here :D , no need to randomly rescan.

Thanks for that - and to rai uno

Cheers, daveac
  • EuphoricaLEuphoricaL Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I'm still keeping an eye on the freesat data, although not much has changed lately.

There is currently a firmware update present on the freesat transponder for the Alba boxes:
    Test download for Pixsan/Alba HD Freesat box V 9.2
    Test download for Pixsan/Alba SD Freesat box V 9.7 Main Code
    From the symbols in the download, the HD box is based on the STb7109 chipset from STMicroelectronics.

Also, theres finally an EPG present on a non-ITV/BBC transponder, the CSC Media Group transponder at 11.642V. Although the EPG itself is still for the BBC/ITV only. The CSC channels are not present yet in either the NIT or the EIT. This points to the CSC channels being included at some point soon.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    EuphoricaL wrote: »
    I'm still keeping an eye on the freesat data, although not much has changed lately.

There is currently a firmware update present on the freesat transponder for the Alba boxes:
    Test download for Pixsan/Alba HD Freesat box V 9.2
    Test download for Pixsan/Alba SD Freesat box V 9.7 Main Code
    From the symbols in the download, the HD box is based on the STb7109 chipset from STMicroelectronics.

Also, theres finally an EPG present on a non-ITV/BBC transponder, the CSC Media Group transponder at 11.642V. Although the EPG itself is still for the BBC/ITV only. The CSC channels are not present yet in either the NIT or the EIT. This points to the CSC channels being included at some point soon.

Thanks for the info, you're telling us more than Freesat ever have! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So our EPG list would be like this now:rolleyes:
    (if you go by what's confirmed and found out ;))
    General entertainment
    BBC 1 (regions)
    BBC 2 (regions)
    BBC 3
    BBC 4
    ITV1 (regions)
    ITV2
    ITV3
    ITV4
    Men & Motors
    ITV2+1
    ITV3+1

HD
    BBC HD
    ITV1 HD

kids
    Cbeebies
    CBBC
    CITV
    POP!
    POP! +1
    Pop Girl / AnimeCentral
    Tiny Pop
    Tiny Pop +1

Music
    Bliss
    Chart Show TV
    Flaunt
    Flava
    NME TV
    Scuzz
    The Vault

Movies
    True Movies
    True Movies 2
    Film4
    Film4+1

News & info
    BBC Parliament
    BBC News 24

Special intrest(?)
    Horse & country TV

Others
    "Diaspora TV"
    Forum Member
    Big update this morning.

List of transponders:
    10.71420H - ITV
    10.72900V - Channel 4
    10.75850V - ITV
    10.77330H - BBC
    10.78800V - BBC
    10.80270H - BBC
    10.81750V - BBC
    10.83230H - ITV
    10.84700V - BBC
    10.89120H - ITV
    10.90600V - ITV
    11.22367V -
    11.34300V -
    11.42783H - Arqiva
    11.64200V - CSC Media Group
    11.68077V -
    11.95350H - BBC
    12.44100V - BBC
    12.52300H -
    12.56002V -

List of named channels:

"FreesatHome","FreesatSSU","FreesatOAD","BBC STREAM-0","BBC STREAM-1","BBC STREAM-2","BBC STREAM-3","BBC STREAM-4","BBC STREAM-5","BBC STREAM-6","ITV2+1","ITV1 CENTRALSW","ITV1 ANGLIA S","ITV1 ANGLIA W","ITV1 TYNE TS N","ITV1 TYNE TS S","Channel 4","ITV1 LONDON","ITV2","CITV","ITV4""MEN AND MOTORS","ITV1 GRANADA","ITV1 ANGLIA E","ITV1 CENTRAL W","BBC 1 London","BBC 2 England","BBC FOUR", "CBBC Channel","CBeebies","BBC THREE","BBC 1 NI","ETV1","BBC 1 W Mids","BBC 1 N West","BBC 1 EYrks&L","BBC 1 Yorks","BBC 1 E Mids","BBC 1 East (E)","BBC R 5 Live","BBC 1 Wales","BBC 2 Wales","BBC 1 Scotland","BBC 2 Scotland","BBC 2 NI","BBCR5LiveSport","ETV2","BBC 1 West","BBC 1 S East","BBC 1 South","BBC 1 S West","BBC 1 NE & C","BBC 1 Oxford","ITV1 CENTRAL S","ITV1 CENTRAL E","ITV1 WALES","ITV1 WEST","ITV1 WCOUNTRY","ITV1 BORDERENG","BBC 1 East (W)","BBC 1 CI","BBC HD","6945","ITV1 BORDERSCO","ITV1 MER SOUTH","ITV1 MER E","ITV1 MER SE","ITV1 MER NORTH","ITV1 YORKS W","ITV1YORKS EAST","ITV CHANNEL IS","stv","stv","stv","UTV","ITV3","ITV3+1","Zone Romantica","Performance Ms","Movies4Men2","Pitch TV","NEWSLOOP","ETV3","BBC NEWS 24","Scuzz","True Movies","True Movies 2","Chart Show","The Vault","Pop","Pop Girl","Tiny Pop","Aljazeera Eng","Wedding TV+1","Euronews","OverseasPrprty","Zone Thriller","Bubble Hits","JML","BBC Parliament","BBC Radio 1","BBC Radio 2","BBC Radio 3","BBC Radio 4 FM","BBC Radio 4 LW","BBC R Scotland","BBC R Wales","BBC R Ulster","BBC Asian Net","BBC World Sv","BBC R Cymru","1Xtra BBC","BBCR 6 Music","BBC 7","BBC RnGaidheal","BBC London94.9","LIFESTYLELOOP","Movies4Men"

List of Catagories:
    Entertainment
    News & Sport
    Movies
    Lifestyle
    Music
    Children
    Radio
    Shopping
    Regional
    BBCi
    ITV

Theres some channels in the frequency list not yet in the EPG.

Its nice to see Channel 4 in the channel list. The Channel 4 it is refering to is PMT 8350, which doesn't exist yet. As there are no channels in the EPG on 10729V and the PMTs have similar numbers, I predict that they will soon put a FTA Channel 4 on that transponder.

Channel 6945 on 10847V also does not exist yet.

Odd that the catagories have changed, interactive/gaming/regional/special interest all gone. Music moved ahead of children as well.

They've also added a lot more empty spaces in the epg so expect a lot more channels.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nice to see Channel 4 in the channel list. The Channel 4 it is refering to is PMT 8350, which doesn't exist yet. As there are no channels in the EPG on 10729V and the PMTs have similar numbers, I predict that they will soon put a FTA Channel 4 on that transponder.

10729V already carries E4, E4+1, More4 and More4+1 all encrypted by Sky and Film4 and Film4+1 both FTA.

That's six channels. I don't suppose they'll squeeze C4 and C4+1 on there as well.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    10729V already carries E4, E4+1, More4 and More4+1 all encrypted by Sky and Film4 and Film4+1 both FTA.

That's six channels. I don't suppose they'll squeeze C4 and C4+1 on there as well.

I'm aware of that, I'm only reporting what the data is carrying. The EPG has a reference to a Channel 4 with PMT 8350 on transponder 10729V. Your welcome to have a look yourself :D
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 6945 appears (on my Humax HDCI-2000) to be a simulcast of BBC HD. Quite why it's there I'm not sure.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wohoo :P
  • bramblebramble Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly, the Community Channel doesn't appear to be present in this line up shown above (unless I've just missed it). I hope it will be there at launch as it seems an obvious candidate for Freesat.
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I note that there is only one channel 4 in that list yet there are 4 or 5 regional variations of channel 4 for advertisng at least (as does Five) - does this mean channel 4 is changing its advertising policy and going to one national channel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a great believer in "wait and see", hence not being unduly prolific in this Forum, but it's all beginning to become vaguely interesting again, that's for sure. :)
    Forum Member
    Theres a ton of channels on 28E not in the EPG yet. Theres also loads of channels on those frequencies that are not in the EPG yet, e.g. Flaunt, Bliss etc. I'm sure things will change a lot in the next few weeks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EPG has a reference to a Channel 4 with PMT 8350 on transponder 10729V.

That transponder is the one booked by Channel 4 when Astra 2D first came into service. It is precisely where I would expect a FTA channel 4 to appear.

The E4s and Mores could do a swap on 12168 V, or in the interim they could use a national Channel 4 specifically for Freesat. Or any combination, including dropping FilmFour+1.
    It all depends of what has been going on behind the scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they book two transponders on 2d?