Anybody here had a problem with the police ?

Comments

• Dave May CryDave May Cry Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve seen a 15 year old boy with his hands cuffed behind his back have his feet kicked out so he landed on his face.

Did you get a video of this because it sounds hilarious. Extra comedy points if he was crying for his mummy in between gut wrenching sobs.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the space of two months, I was detained by the police multiple times, taken home once, and spoken to once.

The first time I was too scared to speak in more than a whisper when the police phoned someone to help me, so a police officer sat with me while I whispered my answers to the person's questions to him and then he repeated everything for me out loud.

They've sat me in the front of the police van with them, unhandcuffed, rather than stick me in the back. And they've They've put the handcuffs on me so loose so as not to hurt me that I've actually taken them off, to which they've just laughed and left them off.

One policeman stopped me from running 3 times at the hospital and then sat with me trying to make me laugh, and telling me he wanted to see me smiling if he saw me when he was out in the van again. On the most recent occasion after I ran one of them walked me home with the other officer driving alongside. When they later changed their minds and detained me, the first officer then sat in the back of the police car holding my arms down to stop them going around my neck and then holding my head for a while to stop me smashing it. Even then he was friendly and gentle with me.

A policeman has sat with me in the street and talked to me about cancer, chemotherapy, the side effects, etc, etc.

But yes. Every occasion they have been brilliant. Police seem to get a lot of stick for not being trained for mental health incidents, and it must be difficult for them. But they did everything they could for me, and they were lovely while they did it, they spent ages talking to me about 'normal' things and trying to make me smile and feel less scared of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a shop and sometimes when customers niggle me I start to get niggled back and there have been occasions when I have been rude to a customer (they deserved it back), but thats only me in a shop. Now imagine a police officer having a bad day - hes been sworn at, told hes a c*nt, spat on, possibly assaulted all for just doing his job, I can understand if they get grumpy and are rude to people. Trouble is when someone is having a bad day and is grumpy they end up being rude to the wrong people. And that is not helpful.

Thats not to say all rude police officers are having a bad day, I am sure like in every job there are persistent arseholes. Everyone knows someone at work who is a shit and the police are no different.
  • stick_of_rockstick_of_rock Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    So you admit to being belligerent and under the influence of alcohol? In other words one of those yobs that ruin a night out for the rest of society?

A pity you weren't locked up and given a hefty fine since it sounds to me like you were already 'out of line'.

Next time try drinking within your limits and going home quietly. That's what responsible, well brought up people do.
    I don't believe you. That's just baseless exaggeration. I can imagine them stopping and having a word but no way in hell would they hand cuff or drag them to the ground unless they were violent to the police.

If it happened (which I doubt, frankly) then most likely the police stopped to have a word and the lad (probably half off his face on alcohol) kicked off. It's a classic story and all too common these days. I'm not surprised the police find it hard to remain polite and cordial considering the kind of idiocy and belligerence they encounter.

Well there's no need to be so bloody rude!
    Next time try not making such bigoted assumptions and have some common courtesy. That is what responsible, well brought up people do.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I've got their greatest hits CD and it jumps and skips... :(
  • rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    Twice.

Once was an officer who came in and accused one of my members of staff of selling to someone underage. As the licensee, and the member of staff who had worked on the night in question, I was not impressed with his approach.

Rang up the station, spoke to his superior, informed him which person had brought the drink in question (who was over age), and tore into him over his officers approach and manner, especially as I was the licensee and the one to threaten.

Got an apology from them over the approach and over the accusation of us selling to someone over age.

Second time was an policeman coming out to a motoring incident who had been incorrectly informed that I had been harassing the other motorists children (which was utter nonsense). After his continual harassment of me and not listening to the real story (despite me having a witness) exploded at him, told him to get a superior as he was not listening and was assuming her story was correct with no regard to what I said. He apologised, listened (at last) and we ended up with a good resolution.

However every other time I've dealt with the police has been positive, and even the second time there once he calmed down and realised that the lady and her children were not being threatened he was good. So overall the police get a big thumbs up from me, difficult job.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    Only when they sang De Do Do Do De Da Da Da

or this :D
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Yeah, I've got their greatest hits CD and it jumps and skips... :(

lmao :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I'm black and I grew up on a council estate, it's ingrained into your very being to mistrust the police. though I think it's something I've grown up and out of, going through education etc. when I moved up to Liverpool I did have an 'encounter' with a police officer who told me to "f*ck off", for no reason whatsoever. d!ck.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but I'm black and I grew up on a council estate, it's ingrained into your very being to mistrust the police. though I think it's something I've grown up and out of, going through education etc. when I moved up to Liverpool I did have an 'encounter' with a police officer who told me to "f*ck off", for no reason whatsoever. d!ck.

and yet they get all moralistic and shirty if anyone swears at them.....
  • Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thugs in uniform.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was brought up to have a healthy respect for the police, and nothing has ever happened to destroy that.

I've had many dealings with them over the years for one reason or another and only once felt disappointed with their on the spot response. I was so cheesed off I made a written complaint about it and was more or less told to bogger off by the chief super; that peed me off but only towards him, not the rest of the force who in my opinion do a bloody good, and largely thankless, job on the whole.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    ginock wrote: »
    Not to drag this old argument up again just to discuss this but I did get fined 75quid by a community police officer for dropping a ciggerate when stepping onto a bus. I accept I did wrong and should have located a bin before entering the bus but I did feel 75 pounds was a little hefty...

It is a bit hefty yes, but think of it this way;

1) The PCSO doesn't set the fine
    2) If you have any sense (or value £75) you won't do it again! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is nothing to do with the colour of your skin or living on a council estate. Not all council estates are bad. I lived on a council estate and we were all taught to respect the police but something happened on the estate around about the 1990 time. Things were changing. Families moved on, people died and new families brought in. These new families had no respect for anyone, including the police. The place turned into a shit hole. Then about 5 years ago things started changing again. New powers were brought in for councils to evict naughty families and they started getting rid of the scum and moving in nicer famiilies.

My point is really that nobody can blame council estates for troubles. Troubles happen anywhere, it is the people that you surround yourself with which are the problem - so if someone happened to live on a council estate with problems, they are more likely to grow up with the problems and have them etched onto their own lives. No matter how good someone's parenting is, it is their peers and the people they hang around with which have more impact.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I don't believe you. That's just baseless exaggeration. I can imagine them stopping and having a word but no way in hell would they hand cuff or drag them to the ground unless they were violent to the police.

If it happened (which I doubt, frankly) then most likely the police stopped to have a word and the lad (probably half off his face on alcohol) kicked off. It's a classic story and all too common these days. I'm not surprised the police find it hard to remain polite and cordial considering the kind of idiocy and belligerence they encounter.
    oh...
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are human, like any other group or organisation there will be good uns and bad uns,
    there will be some who are always polite and professional, there will be some who have the odd 'off day' and take it out on the public.
    as a Biker for over 40 years I have had many 'run ins' with the police, on the VAST majority of these occasions they have been polite, civil, and professional, and sometimes downright friendly and cheerful,

Over the years I have experienced, a police officer trying to steal parts from one of my bikes at 3am one morning, he had pulled me up while riding it earlier that week, he kept me there for over an hour trying to talk me into selling it,
    he turned up at my home in 'civies' a few days later, again trying to talk me into selling it, (he said he only wanted the cylinder head for his bike)
    I told him, again, that it wasn't for sale,
    later that week, I hear a noise in the yard late at night, I sneak outside, and in the darkness I see someone bent over my bike, he hears me, stands up and legs it,.... it was the copper, I check my bike, there are 2 spanners on the floor and my cylinder head has been losened.!!

I have a few other tales, one of a really vindictive bastard who was so determined to 'do' me for something, ANYTHING that he launched a personal vendetta against me that lasted over 2 years, it would take too long to tell, But it's basically all because I 'got off' in a motoring charge that went to court that he brought against me,
    and the judge gave him a bollocking for wasting court time,

On the good cop side, I have other tales, but this post would end up looking like a novel.
    You just can't label the police or any other group of PEOPLE with blanket generalisations.
    :cool:
  • Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a problem with the Police, I was on the A13 yesterday doing 40MPH, cop car screaming down the road in the third lane, cuts across two lanes of traffic onto a slip road. Okay the blues and twos were on but it was a very dangerous move, scared the shit out of me.

Just one slight mistake and the driver could of caused a very serious accident...Shame I couldn't follow him and get at least the registration so I could report that dangerous move.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    I have a problem with the Police, I was on the A13 yesterday doing 40MPH, cop car screaming down the road in the third lane, cuts across two lanes of traffic onto a slip road. Okay the blues and twos were on but it was a very dangerous move, scared the shit out of me.

Just one slight mistake and the driver could of caused a very serious accident...Shame I couldn't follow him and get at least the registration so I could report that dangerous move.

Yes it may have seemed dangerous but the police are very well trained drivers. There are hundreds of emergency calls every day but rarely do you hear of police accidents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One's opinion of the police depends largely on one's social position and point of view. The average, middle-class law-abiding person who keeps himself out of troublesome situations will of course have a rosy perception of the police.

It only takes an encounter with them under stressful conditions (and you don't even have to be a law-breaker, sometimes even going to a mass demonstration will do) to witness the unprofessional, aggressive and discriminatory attitudes that exist within the service.

Compared to the Greek police the British are angels though.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thugs in uniform.

With an attitude like that, I could well understand if they don't call you Sir.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are human, like any other group or organisation there will be good uns and bad uns,
    there will be some who are always polite and professional, there will be some who have the odd 'off day' and take it out on the public.
    as a Biker for over 40 years I have had many 'run ins' with the police, on the VAST majority of these occasions they have been polite, civil, and professional, and sometimes downright friendly and cheerful,

Over the years I have experienced, a police officer trying to steal parts from one of my bikes at 3am one morning, he had pulled me up while riding it earlier that week, he kept me there for over an hour trying to talk me into selling it,
    he turned up at my home in 'civies' a few days later, again trying to talk me into selling it, (he said he only wanted the cylinder head for his bike)
    I told him, again, that it wasn't for sale,
    later that week, I hear a noise in the yard late at night, I sneak outside, and in the darkness I see someone bent over my bike, he hears me, stands up and legs it,.... it was the copper, I check my bike, there are 2 spanners on the floor and my cylinder head has been losened.!!

I have a few other tales, one of a really vindictive bastard who was so determined to 'do' me for something, ANYTHING that he launched a personal vendetta against me that lasted over 2 years, it would take too long to tell, But it's basically all because I 'got off' in a motoring charge that went to court that he brought against me,
    and the judge gave him a bollocking for wasting court time,

On the good cop side, I have other tales, but this post would end up looking like a novel.
    You just can't label the police or any other group of PEOPLE with blanket generalisations.
    :cool:

If everyone had your well-balanced attitude, the world would be a much nicer place. :)
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. But utterly pointless to file any sort of complaint.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are human, like any other group or organisation there will be good uns and bad uns,...

Of course, however the reputation of the organisation depends on how well it identifies and eliminates the bad eggs. The BBC report suggests that not even half of these multiple complaints resulted in any disciplinary action. That's a lot of bad eggs just left rotting, stinking up the force.
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    there was a 14yr old girl in our street who'se never liked one of mine - most times there were 'accidents' where mine would come in hurt because she'd been pushed over or she'd come crying cos she'd been deliberately excluded. As the girl got older - about 13/14 she started the really nasty comments ie: i'm gonna smash your fookin face in' etc etc.

i went the mothers who shut the door in my face so i went the police. I was with them nearly an hour going over every incident that i'd documented and also other kids who'd witnessed it.

police went the girls house and then come to me and said 'we've told her to stop being nasty and if she does't want to play with kate to just ignore her'

i was expecting her to be reprimanded at least because she actually admitted to threatening violence:eek:
  • wayne71wayne71 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    yes loads, they charged me with assaulting them 3 times, and i have charged them with assaulting me 3 times.

No such thing as a nice copper, ******* the lot of them.
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had bad experiences with the police.

The worst was when my husband (now my ex) seriously assaulted me. I called the police. My husband said he'd snapped after continuous nagging. One of the policeman told him he didn't blame him at all because he knew what woman could be like.