BBC Local Stations Get Daytime Networking

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
Forum Member
✭✭
Yes, it's happening folks.

Released through Radio Today.co.uk

http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?extend.6489

Is this another start of the end for 'local' programming ?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    The majority of BBC local programming is dire anyway so it's a wise move. Spend the licence fee on something more worthwhile
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right move. The BBC needs to reduce its costs, and this is a good way of doing it.

That said, some of the shite the license fee is going on does need to be looked at - why are we still one of the main four contributors to the Eurovision Song Contest, for example, when we haven't a cat-in-Hell's chance of ever winning it?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of the three stations in the South East already network daytime shows between them, all that's happening is Radio Kent's drive will be networked on BBC Sussex and Surrey with Dominic King, which doesn't have a jukebox hour for starters.

My only concern is Kent's output will be diluted with trying to cover an area from Dartford to Aldershot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minster FM have been having a laugh with some idents, making the point that Galaxy is from London & Radio York is from Leeds.

Although they are a little early with that, they are far from wrong for the future.

Guess this means Liz Green will be leaving her Lunchtime phone in on Radio Leeds.

Liz is obvioulsly a very experienced presenter / journalist, though I do find her patronising at times with callers who are not falling towards the opinion which I believe she would like them too be.

For an afternoon network presenter, it would have been nice to hear Alex Belfield. He presented a network show a few Friday's ago when the Journalist union strike was on.
    This was the first time I had heard a full show from him and found his style friendly and fresh.

Obviously we dont know for sure what is going to happen with the current afternoon presenters. I'm sure Russell Walker from BBC York will be a bit miffed and Paulette Edwards from BBC Sheffield who has not been in that position very long.

EDIT: apologies for no southern station opinions, I'm from Yorkshire. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sneaked in via the back door, Radio Kent's early breakfast show now comes from Guildford from this week as Julia Moore has replaced Steve Ladner.

Ladner moves to lunchtimes.
  • wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite surprised by the Drive Time Show being shared in Kent, Surrey and Sussex, as I thought that drive was one of the times of day that BBC Locals were supposed to be concentrating on with more news input.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surrey and Sussex already find it hard to provide a three hour drivetime show shared between them already. Hopefully the stronger news policy on Radio Kent will improve the quality of the programme on those two stations, however Kent is going to get a worse drivetime show as content is stretched with Sussex, Surrey and NE Hants.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surrey and Sussex already find it hard to provide a three hour drivetime show shared between them already. Hopefully the stronger news policy on Radio Kent will improve the quality of the programme on those two stations, however Kent is going to get a worse drivetime show as content is stretched with Sussex, Surrey and NE Hants.

But shouldn't they be working to provide a better service at drivetime for Surrey and Sussex itself - not weakening the service offered in Kent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wirewolf wrote: »
    But shouldn't they be working to provide a better service at drivetime for Surrey and Sussex itself - not weakening the service offered in Kent?

Both BBC LR's in Surrey and Sussex should be improved, however with the BBC cuts, they need to provide the best service they can using the minimum of resources.

Radio Kent is based with the regional news programme South East Today in Tunbridge Wells which gathers news from all three BBC LR station areas, so we might actually see an improvement in news gathering on Sussex and Surrey which currently relies on a lot of national filler.

The irony in all this is that listeners in parts of East Sussex will get their 'local' drivetime show from closer to home than from Brighton which is further away.
  • SteveBentleySteveBentley Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »
    Minster FM have been having a laugh with some idents, making the point that Galaxy is from London & Radio York is from Leeds.

Not that far wrong - Radio York are broadcasting from Leeds while their studios in York are being refurbished.
    Guess this means Liz Green will be leaving her Lunchtime phone in on Radio Leeds.
    I guess all three schedules will get a shake up to get the afternoon show slots to match
    For an afternoon network presenter, it would have been nice to hear Alex Belfield. He presented a network show a few Friday's ago when the Journalist union strike was on.
    This was the first time I had heard a full show from him and found his style friendly and fresh.

He comes across as an arrogant pillock on some occasions, cf http://radiofail.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/gardening-guest-awkwardness
    Obviously we dont know for sure what is going to happen with the current afternoon presenters. I'm sure Russell Walker from BBC York will be a bit miffed and Paulette Edwards from BBC Sheffield who has not been in that position very long.

Ironically Russell Walker's show is the only daily programme on Radio York actually coming from North Yorkshire as he broadcasts out of Scarborough! As a former presenter of the networked late show he's known to listeners of all three stations.

I'm surprised they haven't gone for the option of putting somebody more newsy on Radio Sheffield breakfast and having a networked Toby Foster show in the afternoons, to be honest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both BBC LR's in Surrey and Sussex should be improved, however with the BBC cuts, they need to provide the best service they can using the minimum of resources.

Radio Kent is based with the regional news programme South East Today in Tunbridge Wells which gathers news from all three BBC LR station areas, so we might actually see an improvement in news gathering on Sussex and Surrey which currently relies on a lot of national filler.

But wouldn't it make better sense for Surrey and Sussex to do the same as the Yorkshire stations, and share an afternoon show and re-deploy the resources for the drive time show? Early afternoons are a perfect time for shared programmes - the content is less news heavy.

Perhaps Surrey and Sussex have less local news because they already cover a large area - maybe they don't want to put people off with stories that aren't relevant to them. This will only make things worse.
  • PowerplayPowerplay Posts: 4,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How will this effect the West Midlands once it reaches there as it's bound to eventually. BBC WM has local output most of the time from Birmingham. So what next for BBC Coventry & Warwickshire? Will this mean axing presenters and BA's as result of networking from Brum?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But wouldn't it make better sense for Surrey and Sussex to do the same as the Yorkshire stations, and share an afternoon show and re-deploy the resources for the drive time show? Early afternoons are a perfect time for shared programmes - the content is less news heavy.

Perhaps Surrey and Sussex have less local news because they already cover a large area - maybe they don't want to put people off with stories that aren't relevant to them. This will only make things worse.

I think for Radio Kent at least, it's better to have a stronger local afternoon line-up than drive. It's not perfect, but I think it's the best solution for Sussex and Surrey to share drive with Kent.

I wonder what role Simon Furber will have in December once he's redeployed?

I give it a couple of years and I think all three stations will rebrand as BBC South East with only local opts for Breakfast.
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised by the Drive Time Show being shared in Kent, Surrey and Sussex, as I thought that drive was one of the times of day that BBC Locals were supposed to be concentrating on with more news input.
    Incidentally I note that Radio Kent have this week started taking some of Julia Moore's Early Breakfast Show which comes from BBC Surrey in Guildford (though only the portion from 6-6.30am, which is a bit odd seeing as the show starts at 5am). Other clusters of stations are also now sharing their early shows, such as the Eastern Counties, the West, Yorkshire and the East Midlands, so I imagine it won't be long before all the remaining stations' early shows are networked.
  • tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Whitey_GRN wrote: »

Interesting.

Has anyone told Minister FM that they'll be needing some new imaging from January?

"Yorkshire's Capital Hits", "Yorkshire's Capital Breakfast", "Yorkshire's Capital Weekend" are a great way to promote your bigger, richer, slicker rival's new name!

(Sorry - I'm way off topic. Apologies.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally I note that Radio Kent have this week started taking some of Julia Moore's Early Breakfast Show which comes from BBC Surrey in Guildford (though only the portion from 6-6.30am, which is a bit odd seeing as the show starts at 5am).

iPlayer claims Radio Kent takes Julia Moore from 5.30-6.30am which started on Monday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for Radio Kent at least, it's better to have a stronger local afternoon line-up than drive. It's not perfect, but I think it's the best solution for Sussex and Surrey to share drive with Kent.
    I would much rather they had networked Pat Marsh's afternoon show to Sussex and Surrey!
    I wonder what role Simon Furber will have in December once he's redeployed?.
    I think Simon Furber was only presenting Drivetime on a temporary basis anyway, covering for Sarah Gorrell who I always assumed was covering the afternoon show during Allison Ferns's maternity leave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iPlayer claims Radio Kent takes Julia Moore from 5.30-6.30am which started on Monday.
    It does indeed, but I recorded Radio Kent off DAB yesterday morning to check, and it was Radio 5 Live until 6am, followed by a local news bulletin and Julia Moore from 6.05.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would much rather they had networked Pat Marsh's afternoon show to Sussex and Surrey!

Pat's a legendary presenter in Kent, although I fear he may be too 'local' sounding for a listener in Aldershot, Chichester or Guildford.

Dominic King is an excellent presenter and hopefully it'll improve what has been a ropey slot on S&S's schedule.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Not that far wrong - Radio York are broadcasting from Leeds while their studios in York are being refurbished.

2) I guess all three schedules will get a shake up to get the afternoon show slots to match

3) He comes across as an arrogant pillock on some occasions, cf http://radiofail.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/gardening-guest-awkwardness

4) Ironically Russell Walker's show is the only daily programme on Radio York actually coming from North Yorkshire as he broadcasts out of Scarborough! As a former presenter of the networked late show he's known to listeners of all three stations.

5) I'm surprised they haven't gone for the option of putting somebody more newsy on Radio Sheffield breakfast and having a networked Toby Foster show in the afternoons, to be honest.

1) I didnt know this, obviously a temp measure.

2) The BBC locals, at least these anyway, do seem to suffer some regular movement. I remember a few complaints to BBC York at the amount of times presenters were shuffeled around the schedule.

3) Yes, now you mention it, I had heard that before. Maybe he was on his best behaviour on the day I heard his full show.

4) True! :)

5) I remember Toby when he started on afternoons. This for me was his best period. The older folk were up in arms with his cutting edge humour (well, cutting edge for a BBC local), but he was very very good and with his producer side kick Jamie Campbell they made a great double act.
    That would be one network show I would most welcome to afternoons in Yorkshire and would be realistic competition to the commercial stations too with a fine balance of regional news, views, silly competitions and a music variety just like he did a few years ago.

Sadly, this would be like wishing for Mark & Lard back on Radio 1. Something we want, that never happens. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood how the stations in the South all share programmes after 7pm, and yet stations like Radio Merseyside and Radio Cumbria are local all day (Cumbria does take shared programmes at the weekend). Even Radios Manchester and Lancashire only share the awful John Barnes late show from Monday to Thursday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tini cans wrote: »
    Interesting.

Has anyone told Minister FM that they'll be needing some new imaging from January?

"Yorkshire's Capital Hits", "Yorkshire's Capital Breakfast", "Yorkshire's Capital Weekend" are a great way to promote your bigger, richer, slicker rival's new name!

(Sorry - I'm way off topic. Apologies.)

I'd like to see Global fight for that. As the Minster-dents are stating at the moment, obviously in prep for Galaxy's rebranding, they have been playing "Yorkshire's Capital Hits" since 1992.

So another station changes it's name and wants to claim the strap line? I doubt it some how. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood how the stations in the South all share programmes after 7pm, and yet stations like Radio Merseyside and Radio Cumbria are local all day (Cumbria does take shared programmes at the weekend). Even Radios Manchester and Lancashire only share the awful John Barnes late show from Monday to Thursday.

BBC London is the odd one out as it provides a 24/7 local service, although the content overnight could easily be replaced by Up All Night as LBC provide a decent overnight speech service which has more listeners.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is probably still a fair amount of scope for combining shows in the evenings and weekends. For example, on a Sunday night in the South East there is David Allen on Sussex, Surrey and Solent, and Bill Rennells on Oxford, Berkshire and Kent - both broadly similar music-based shows, with little or no local content. So why not just network Bill Rennells across the whole South East, with David Allen remaining on Saturdays?

There are probably examples like this across the whole of the network, so I would rather see savings made here first, before they start hacking away at the weekday daytime schedules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC London is the odd one out as it provides a 24/7 local service, although the content overnight could easily be replaced by Up All Night as LBC provide a decent overnight speech service which has more listeners.

Sorry forgot about BBC London. Odd though how BBC Sussex and Surrey will soon only have about 10 hours a day local programming, while on weekdays Radio Cumbria has 21.