Immigration 'drives two thirds of new households' in Britain

13»

Comments

• wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the English becoming a minority in their own country and immigration numbers not related in your view then?

If the English population stays the same, yet immigration runs at very high levels, the English will become a minority in their own country due to the increase in the non English population.

The point I was making is the English have a right to complain, because we are unable to test the reaction of the non English ethnic groups to their ancestral country's indigenous populations losing their majority status.

Who precisely fits into this threatened indigenous majority? What is the test for that? I was born and have lived in England all my life, but am at most "half English" and can only trace it back a generation or two anyway. You want I should cut myself into three, since at least two other nationalities are involved, and spread the bits around accordingly?

That aside, if it is just about numbers, it is just about numbers. If not, then perhaps it is time that that particular line was dropped from the debate.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Shortage of housing ? Theres hundred available up here in the north east, they have been empty for months/years.nobody wants them. Mostly caused by people being moved out because of the bedroom tax. These houses deemed too big for them. Its getting like ghost towns up here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been reported this morning that over 40,000 houses lie empty in the North West. Councils cannot charge empty property tax till the house has been empty two years - if they could track the owners down and charge it sooner they'd have some income and information to help tackle the problem.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    "Communities all over the country are being asked to accept new housing developments without being told that, across the country, most of the additional households are nowadays due to immigration"

So the approach could be: see that green field site over there ? We going to build an estate of new houses and they'll be filled with immigrants. Now does anyone in the area have any objections to this ?

Now let's start at the top:

What exactly is it about the United Kingdom which makes this country so appealing for immigrants ?

Harry Potter, Coldplay, Top gear, Manchester United, The Queen, The NHS, Tower Bridge, The English Language,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry Potter, Coldplay, Top gear, Manchester United, The Queen, The NHS, Tower Bridge, The English Language,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Let's assume this little list of things and people is in any way meaningful when it comes to the appeal of the UK...Do you think the indigenous population all love all of those things? And the immigrant population universally do not?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/7.18

all the information is on their website

So why not base the report from 1973 or 1982 bearing in mind the figures are available.
  • NodgerNodger Posts: 6,668
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So why not base the report from 1973 or 1982 bearing in mind the figures are available.

Have a look at the graph and the gap that develops between the lines. I'd suggest that this is why MW choose 97 on (plus the Labour goverance aspect) and the net 'bars' on the graph. Large jump from 97 on and for the 60's 70's negative net migration (more people left than came).....80's basically level.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32162123

From the article: "It is clear from the graph above that net migration (numbers coming to the UK minus numbers leaving) has increased since the late 1990s"

Data source: ONS.
  • TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is idiotic, as suggesting tighter controls on immigration will mean 2/3 more houses? So will 2/3 of immigrations all of a sudden leave and sell off their houses. Also it's flawed in how a foreign born person could be marrying a British person and own the house together, but the foreign born person is still regarded as the "figure head" of the household.

There's also many people who prefer renting over actually buying.

When it comes to buying a house, I don't see how British people are at a disadvantage. People just save up and get a mortgage or buy one, this goes the same for anyone who's an immigrant.

Besides most of the political parties are not interested in building more, as the prices would get driven down.

I'm all for getting tighter immigration controls and lessen the amount of immigrants coming over, however people should understand these controls don't solve everything and that immigration isn't these only reason for every issue.
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is that neither Indians in India or Chinese in China are in any danger of losing their majority status in their own country. Due to mass immigration being a one way street, there is every likely hood that it will happen here.

If people complain they are told they are xenophobic or nasty, but they are simply concerned about the future of their own ethnic group in their own country, a different concept to having any negative feelings about foreigners.

Its easy for migrants and ethnic minorities here not to be bothered as there is another country out in the world where they are the majority. There is no other England for the English.

You say sometimes its about the numbers and sometime about culture, but if the numbers were small, the effect on the identity of the nation would be small, so they are related.

Those on the left who want less negativity to migrants should support the right in their endeavour to restrict numbers, because this would decrease the threat some English people feel exists to their national identity.

Just wow... so immigrants with the right color are only allowed in then? Are they to be steralised? I'm sorry but that post just sounds like ridiculous dribble on twitter/youtube about white genocide.

There are immigrants who do arrive in England, from all around the world, to settle with their own money.
  • jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Immigration isn't the only factor and there are others such as a high divorce rate but it is patently ridiculous as some are doing to deny it is having a significant impact on the demand for housing.

Perhaps those businesses who so love cheap unskilled overseas labour would like to step forward and pay for housing then.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    Well if there was no immigration there would be even fewer homes built so ...

Why would that be?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Immigration isn't the only factor and there are others such as a high divorce rate but it is patently ridiculous as some are doing to deny it is having a significant impact on the demand for housing.

Perhaps those businesses who so love cheap unskilled overseas labour would like to step forward and pay for housing then.

Supply is as important as demand. The demand for housing can be significantly met by, for one thing, repurposing empty properties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Supply is as important as demand. The demand for housing can be significantly met by, for one thing, repurposing empty properties.

Not allowing 2nd homes, or buy to let, and they should have built another council house for every home they sold off.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »

We have high prices, we have high demand. If we can increase supply it will greatly increase our economy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not allowing 2nd homes, or buy to let, and they should have built another council house for every home they sold off.

I agree with the last part but your first part makes no sense at all. Some people have 2 homes, simply because they live there at different times of the year and how would you imposing this? Stop people from traveling there?

As for buy to let, if no one buy any houses to let out, how do you suppose people find a place to rent? Where will people live if they can't find a place to rent?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    I agree with the last part but your first part makes no sense at all. Some people have 2 homes, simply because they live there at different times of the year and how would you imposing this? Stop people from traveling there?

As for buy to let, if no one buy any houses to let out, how do you suppose people find a place to rent? Where will people live if they can't find a place to rent?

Second homes that are empty for 50 weeks a year are a major problem in some parts of the country. Local shops and schools close, and what was a lively village becomes a ghost town. This is in addition to the fact that local people need places to live, but can't outbid the far wealthier person buying a second home.

I don't see buy to let as a major issue. As long as the houses are occupied, they are a home. We just need more homes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see buy to let as a major issue. As long as the houses are occupied, they are a home. We just need more homes.

I'm mainly thinking about ex council homes now private buy to let homes.

As it means the rent has gone up to provide profit for the buy to let land lord rather than rent to pay for things the council needs to provide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second homes that are empty for 50 weeks a year are a major problem in some parts of the country. Local shops and schools close, and what was a lively village becomes a ghost town. This is in addition to the fact that local people need places to live, but can't outbid the far wealthier person buying a second home.

I agree with what you have said and thought this might be the case in some cases. However an outright ban is not the answer, I believe that it can be solved by having policies for second homes. For example, the government should have second home owners spend a certain amount of time living at their second home annually or a fee for the time not spent there. The government should also setup rules, a certain amount of houses can only be bought by local people.

I would like to point out that this just shows that it's the wealthy buying up all the houses and isn't just a immigrants issue, which is why it's silly just to purely blame them.
    I'm mainly thinking about ex council homes not private buy to let homes.

Isn't the article mainly talking about private homes? That immigrants have bought up a lot of private homes in the UK since 1997.
  • BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ten generations? A generation is what about 25 years so your talking about being worried how many White British there will be in 2265. That is like someone in 1865 claiming to be able to predict and be worried about the year 2015. It is silly.

Not quite. I said less than ten generations and we are part of the way through the process if you take 1948 as the starting point. So we are at least three generations in and it is clearly happening and it is accelerating. Some forecasters predict it will be by this mid century others a little longer. A generation is variable but normally slightly shorter than 25 years. Pakistan doubles every 22 years almost without fail since it came into being.
  • Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite. I said less than ten generations and we are part of the way through the process if you take 1948 as the starting point. So we are at least three generations in.
    If you are taking 1948 as the starting point you think UKIPs immigration policy of 50,000 net immigration a year is too high.
    and it is clearly happening and it is accelerating. Some forecasters predict it will be by this mid century others a little longer.
    This mid century :o Your not seriously saying the English will be a minority in England by 2050 a mere thirty five years time.

And if you meant 2150 that is a hell of a long time in the future for people to claim they can accurately predict and be worried about. And I am still unsure what exactly they are worried about if they are talking about second, third, fourth, etc generation immigrants, that is people who were born in Britain they are British aren't they?

Has someone defined who counts as British I mean if being born in Britain is somehow not enough, how do people need to behave to be counted as British presuming we are not simply taking about racism or religious intolerance where you have to be a white or have to be a Christian or these days I guess an Atheist.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the English population stays the same, yet immigration runs at very high levels, the English will become a minority in their own country due to the increase in the non English population.

It depends on your definition of english/british. If an immigrant couple from say Ireland, Poland or India settle in the UK, have children who are born here and grow up with english as their first language, have sole british nationality (passport) and eat fish & chips (lol!) i think they're now british/english. I'm guessing you don't?
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Lonely UK: Number of middle-aged people living alone rises dramatically as marriage continues to decline

Almost 2.5m aged 45-64 have no spouse, partner or children living with them
    Amount has grown 50% since the mid 1990s
    Number of loners has pushed up demand for housing

Also Britain has highest divorce rate in EU, which also pushs up the demand for housing.

Agree, this makes those MigrationWatch figures look even more rubbish (than they already did)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alfamale wrote: »
    It depends on your definition of english/british. If an immigrant couple from say Ireland, Poland or India settle in the UK, have children who are born here and grow up with english as their first language, have sole british nationality (passport) and eat fish & chips (lol!) i think they're now british/english. I'm guessing you don't?

This is the flaw in a the Xenophobic scaremongering. Immigrants become British. They have done for centuries.