Girls Aloud - Is it just me or are some of the girls really cold towards Nadine.

tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
Its no secret that Cheryl, Kimberley and Nicola are best mates but watching interviews, webcam radio shows, Kimberley especially seem cold towards Nadine.

Sarah has always been really cool with Nadine, and to be fair Nadine is hilarious and I only just realized. I love that she said piss on radio and didn't care. She said if people get offended by that they need to get out more which made me chuckle.

I remember popstars, Kimba said Nadine was her fave and used to be best friends and lived in a flat together and in Cheryl's autobiography is all about Nicola and Kimberley and mentions Nadine like twice and both negative.

I feel sorry for her because she really tries hard in interviews and look like she is having fun in performances whilst the others look bored and don't care about the roots they started with, esp. Cheryl just wants to be centre of attention and do her solo thing.

Its a shame Nadine doesn't have good material, because if she was a judge on X Factor and married a footballer her solo career would be massive.

Kimba always seems cold towards Nadine and so does Nicola. Like they blatantly hate her or something. I don't ever think Chezza and Nadine had issues and the press made a whoo-haa because she seems like she really likes Nadine.

Comments

• Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they hate each other, but not everyone is best friends with everyone. Personalities don't always mesh.
  • gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    Nadine spent years publicly referring to the other girls as her colleagues as opposed to her friends, she pretty much lived in a way whereby the band was her day job, and she had little to no contact with the girls outside of life in the band, being in LA and the fact she skipped pretty much all non-essential promo probably worsened things too. Then during her ill-fated solo mission she seemed to spend a lot of her interview time trashing the other girls (I did all of the work, they did nothing etc etc) as well as breathing life into the Cheryl v Nadine war that was happening in the newspapers. The most memorable thing Cheryl said about Nadine in her book (although there were a LOT of positive mentions too) was about the time when Nadine dropped out of a Brit awards appearance at the last minute, and how gutted the other girls felt because of it. If you look at things that way, she's really sort of emphasized how she's let the group down quite a bit, although they obviously still have a decent personal and working relationship as they've been out a lot together as a 5 piece recently, the not going to Kimba's birthday is the first time post-reunion Nadine or Sarah haven't been to anything, at least publically anyway. Nadine even went along quite early on to watch Kimba on SCD, which Sarah hasn't been to yet as far as I can remember, and she seemed genuinely quite proud of Kimberley which was quite sweet, so it would seem that she's not being pushed away at all by Kimberley.

It's obvious to most that Cheryl-Nicola-Kimberley are all best friends in a way that Sarah or Nadine aren't really, but I wouldn't really blame anyone for that, some people get on with some more than others, and as long as all 5 are together and making decent music and are quite happy with eachother, which they appear to be at the moment, then that's all that matters really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Nadine is the talented one in the group so that may cause some friction. She carrys the group vocally and has ambitions to be purely a solo artist. The problem is she doesnt court controversy, she hasnt married a footballer/high profile person, hasn't had sex video etc etc... so although she has the talent, without publicity it will be hard for her to make it as a solo singer. She is clearly not happy in the group and would rather not rejoin them, but she doesnt have much option.
  • sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    gav016 wrote: »
    Then during her ill-fated solo mission she seemed to spend a lot of her interview time trashing the other girls (I did all of the work, they did nothing etc etc) as well as breathing life into the Cheryl v Nadine war that was happening in the newspapers. QUOTE]

I would be interested in hearing the direct quotes from Nadine - or could you refer me to some links?
    IMO Nadine has suffered from unfair negative publicity from the press here, especially during her promotion of her solo stuff.
    I thought it was very telling that none of the other girls publicly showed her any support whatsoever. I remember Kim being quoted as wishing her well, but this was only when she was directly asked about Nadine and by this stage the damage had been done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the information we have I got the impression that Nadine and Kimberley were very close until the show ended and they were sharing a flat together. Then whatever happened happened, and Kimberley became close friends with Cheryl. And I think Cheryl has more issues with Sarah than Nadine. Right from the first album it seemed like she just tolerates Sarah.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    DC 17 wrote: »
    Nadine is the talented one in the group so that may cause some friction. She carrys the group vocally and has ambitions to be purely a solo artist. The problem is she doesnt court controversy, she hasnt married a footballer/high profile person, hasn't had sex video etc etc... so although she has the talent, without publicity it will be hard for her to make it as a solo singer. She is clearly not happy in the group and would rather not rejoin them, but she doesnt have much option.

BIB: She just needs to suck it up, put on her big girl pants and be happy, that she got to be part of Girls Aloud. That is what most successful artist do when they have found "the" crew they got their fame with. Success in music business isn't only about the singing voice, it is also about the chemistry the group has together, the energy they bring to the group, the dedication and attitude.

Personality wise, Nadine doesn't seem to stand out either, she seems IMO quite blah, so she might not even have had success had she had some controversies in her life.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl, Nicola and Kimberley seem quite cliquey with one another and I can imagine it probably makes the other two feel pushed out a bit. It can be hard in a group situation where you have two or three people who are very close to one another and the others are not. Nadine is the most talented and also seems like the nicest person in the band, I don't understand why she gets so much stick really? I hate how certain sections of the press deliberately set out to destroy her solo career.
  • tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nadine seems happy to be back in the group though and her and Cheryl seem fine but its just whenever she talks Kimba and Nicola seem to be blah!! Kimba and Nadine lived together, whilst Sarah lived on her own and Nicola lived with Cheryl!! I hope they can be the friends they all were at the start and have success for life!! The problem is if they keep going on 3 year breaks I can see the public losing interest!!

I love Nadine and watching their recent interviews she seems so funny!! Its just annoying when i see Kimberly, Nicola and Cheryl all the time because it does seem like Sarah and Nadine are left out
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After seeing them perform on Children in Need I thought they all looked cold towards each other despite Cheryl, Nicola and Kimberly being so close.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They always seem very weird in interviews. They all seem very friendly (besides Nicola) but there's barely ever interaction and Sarah/Nadine definitely seem left out.
  • FingersAndToesFingersAndToes Posts: 9,956
    Forum Member
    Cheryl, Nicola and Kimberley seem quite cliquey with one another and I can imagine it probably makes the other two feel pushed out a bit. It can be hard in a group situation where you have two or three people who are very close to one another and the others are not. Nadine is the most talented and also seems like the nicest person in the band, I don't understand why she gets so much stick really? I hate how certain sections of the press deliberately set out to destroy her solo career.

But isn't it like that with everyone. Some people get one better than others. I think they all get along quite well, but aren't just bestest of friends.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know - I think it's all a bit overexaggerated re: Nadine. In every working environment there are people who are close (Kim, Nicola and Cheryl), and others who come to work, do their job but do their own thing outside of work. It doesn't mean they don't get on with the others.

I think most of us have similar experiences at work.
    She is clearly not happy in the group and would rather not rejoin them, but she doesnt have much option
    :eek:
    I don't agree at all. I think Nadine looks like she's having a great time.

I'm sure Nadine has made some mistakes in the past (including bad advice e.g. getting her own manager) but that was years ago and I'm sure she learnt from it. They were all young when they started out.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the day when they first started out it was Sarah who was considered the best looking member of the group and she was the one who seemed to get the most press attention as well. How times have changed.

I remember reading a Popbitch article that stated Nadine has the same group of friends back in Derry that she'd had growing up. For her I think it's just a job, she likes the singing and performing but not the fame that comes with it. The other four are a bit fame obsessed, Cheryl and Sarah especially so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they all hate Sarah during the Popstars show? I remember she was called last to join the group and nobody congratulated her or even smiled.
  • Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the fact Sarah was a bit older had anything to do with it?
    I also remember reading about how Sarah said she hated the first three years of Girls Aloud because she felt she shouldnt be there. Maybe the other girls mistook this for her not wanting to be there. Who knows?
    Didnt Nicola lie for Cheryl in court? Shows how deep their friendships been from the start.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Nadine is the only one with a really good singing voice. I've always thought the others might be a bit jealous of that, not that I've got any proof. But if I were them, I would be!
  • Sarah AnneSarah Anne Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mattpaint wrote: »
    Nadine is the only one with a really good singing voice. I've always thought the others might be a bit jealous of that, not that I've got any proof. But if I were them, I would be!

It probably pees Nadine off that Cheryl has been the successful one. I suspect Nadine thought it would be her with the solo career.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sarah Anne wrote: »
    I wonder if the fact Sarah was a bit older had anything to do with it?
    I also remember reading about how Sarah said she hated the first three years of Girls Aloud because she felt she shouldnt be there. Maybe the other girls mistook this for her not wanting to be there. Who knows?
    Didnt Nicola lie for Cheryl in court? Shows how deep their friendships been from the start.

There is no way to know if she lied or not.

I think they all get on fine, I watched the BBC Radio 1 interview with the webcam and Cheryl and Nadine were laughing and talking to themselves during the interview. I think they get on and like each other, but aren't as close like Kimberly, Nicole and Cheryl are.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why so many people think that people in bands/groups are all mates or that they should be. It is a job and just like in any other career you will find that there are some work colleagues you get on with and some you don't. The key thing is if you can work together with common goals.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they all get on but aren't bosom buddies apart from Cheryl, Kim & Nicola
    I don't think there is a massive controversy here
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    like any band egos rise with popularity..... and this was a band formualted to be a centre piece for Nadine...the Irish Mariah (according to Loius W). Its kind of a TT rather than Destiny`s Child outcome. Personally, they make a great girl band ...they mesh very well together but individual styles and talents have developed naturally as a band. Which is a good thing. I think they feel like a stronger band after solo efforts.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they all get on but aren't bosom buddies apart from Cheryl, Kim & Nicola
    I don't think there is a massive controversy here

Exactly. There is bound to be friction in any group, or atleast some people who get on more than others.