Options

Has anyone been on a "speed awareness course"?

trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been nabbed by a camera for a modest speed offence, and rather than contaminate my licence, which has been clean for about 30 years, I intend to go to the naughty step instead. It's what happens when you drive home after a ropey night's sleep at a festival.

I just wondered what happens....

Comments

• Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    Been nabbed by a camera for a modest speed offence, and rather than contaminate my licence, which has been clean for about 30 years, I intend to go to the naughty step instead. It's what happens when you drive home after a ropey night's sleep at a festival.

I just wondered what happens....

You will be patronised to within an inch of your life, but hopefully you'll take it on board and not be silly in the future.

I've not been on one, but this is what I've been told.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Yep I did one about five years ago. I was happy to be patronised for a few hours to avoid points and bits where interesting.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't but I know 2 people who have. One said it was interesting and useful. The other said it was "boring".
  • Options
    peroquilperoquil Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boring as hell. I sped home in annoyance.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a few years ago. I had a choice of paying a £60 fine and receiving 3 points on my licence, or paying £60 to attend the course.

There were 20 of us there (the next 20 were waiting outside when we left), and it turned out that we had all been caught on camera doing 36 mph in a 30 zone. EDIT If it had been 35 or less, we wouldn't have been fined. If it had been 37 or more, we wouldn't have had the option of the going on the course. Dunno if that's changed now.

The 'course' consisted of one three and a half hour lecture/video presentation in a classroom environment, with a small amount of lecturer/speeder interaction (eg They showed a video of a bad driver, and we were asked how many mistakes we'd noticed). I didn't have to say or write anything, though. Just as well, because I was full of cold and felt dreadful at the time.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably just the usual box ticking exercise but there have been reports some insurance companies bump your premiums up as you are considered a higher risk.
  • Options
    warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should be part of the driving test really, worth doing for the lack of points, we had a session like ask the audience with 4 buttons to choose answers, I'm hoping most were taking the p@$$ as it was comical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Probably just the usual box ticking exercise but there have been reports some insurance companies bump your premiums up as you are considered a higher risk.

Wrong. Your insurance company know nothing about you attending the course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were 20 of us there (the next 20 were waiting outside when we left), and it turned out that we had all been caught on camera doing 36 mph in a 30 zone.

Fancy that. 37 in a 30, me.

To be brutally honest, though I'm vigilant, I have been incredibly lucky given the miles I drive. Usually in fast cars too, the current one being the sort that feels as if it's stationary at legal speeds.

I'm good at putting the knee pads on, so I'll practise grovelling in the meantime. Incredibly, after so long, I have a feeling I got caught on Sunday on the North Circular too, where I should certainly know better :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    37? Looks like you were 'lucky'!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong. Your insurance company know nothing about you attending the course.

Some insurance companies now require you to tell them if you have attended one.

Here is an older thread about the course.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1728462&highlight=speed+awareness
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been on a speed awareness course and a went-through-a-red-light awareness course

Sit there for a few hours then leave and forget it ever happened
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Some insurance companies now require you to tell them if you have attended one.

Here is an older thread about the course.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1728462&highlight=speed+awareness

Any idea which companies?

The second post in that link is pretty much the same as I experienced, right down to the extremely long multiple vehicle pile up video shown at the end of the presentation. We only had one lecturer, though, and she did about 95% of the talking.
  • Options
    PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it'll be up to you as to whether you do one of these courses - you have to be offered the option by the police force that nabbed you. It isn't an automatic choice (I speak from experience, sadly!) but it is worth gritting your teeth and doing if you do get offered it, as you've said. It is like being in the naughty corner, and most of the stuff is pretty obvious, but some is useful. I think you're more likely to be offered the course if your speed wasn't massively over the limit - I was flashed doing 55 coming out of empty roadworks on a quiet Sunday afternoon, and I was the only one in our group of 25 not in for doing 35ish in a 30 zone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    I don't think it'll be up to you as to whether you do one of these courses - you have to be offered the option by the police force that nabbed you.

It says on the notification "it is likely to be offered if the offence is no more than 10% + 9mph over the limit". That puts me well within.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea which companies?

The second post in that link is pretty much the same as I experienced, right down to the extremely long multiple vehicle pile up video shown at the end of the presentation. We only had one lecturer, though, and she did about 95% of the talking.

Don't know but here is a report from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, we just had an hours lecture by an AA man about speed limits and how to tell what it should be by such things as the distance between lamp posts or something, although I can't remember much about it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Don't know but here is a report from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20328860

Thanks.

Admiral group.......... including Elephant insurance.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Fancy that. 37 in a 30, me.

To be brutally honest, though I'm vigilant, I have been incredibly lucky given the miles I drive. Usually in fast cars too, the current one being the sort that feels as if it's stationary at legal speeds.

I'm good at putting the knee pads on, so I'll practise grovelling in the meantime. Incredibly, after so long, I have a feeling I got caught on Sunday on the North Circular too, where I should certainly know better :eek:

See this is why you should go on the speed awareness course because you will find out that 80% of people hit by cars going at 30 miles an hour survive and 80% of people hit by cars going over 30 miles an hour don't. That why in residential areas the limit is 30!

My mate went on one and came back with loads of stuff like that:)

Interestingly now I know that I am much less likely to (intentionally) break a 30 mile an hour limit. There has been no impact on my speed in non 30 mile an hour areas though:D
  • Options
    Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the Speed Awareness Course very good.

Well worth it. if I had to say the main problem with the course, is not with the course or the "lecturer" but rather some of the attendees.
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks.

Admiral group.......... including Elephant insurance.

Whilst other compaines might not insist on knowing and probably wont find out, i would have thought its one of the things an insurance company would expect you to tell them.

Im sure there is something in every policy i have read that says something along the lines 'you need to tell us if you think something will affect your policy....'. I would have thought getting caught speeding is one of them.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StillAlive wrote: »
    Whilst other compaines might not insist on knowing and probably wont find out, i would have thought its one of the things an insurance company would expect you to tell them.

Im sure there is something in every policy i have read that says something along the lines 'you need to tell us if you think something will affect your policy....'. I would have thought getting caught speeding is one of them.

But that defeats the object of the exercise. You go on a course, usually paying more than the £60 fine, to avoid receiving the points that may increase future insurance premiums offered by certain insurers.

Anyway the insurance industry has no way of confirming whether you have been on a course or not as the information is not made available by the authorities to insurers.
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are asked by your insurance company if you have attended a SAC you must declare in utmost good faith. If I had a clean licence I would take the 3 points. If it meant the difference between 3 and 6 points I would do the SAC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    See this is why you should go on the speed awareness course because you will find out that 80% of people hit by cars going at 30 miles an hour survive and 80% of people hit by cars going over 30 miles an hour don't. That why in residential areas the limit is 30

I know all that. I do not speed in built up areas, and living on a side street that is a cut-through I know all about cretins who do. And at a lot more than 37mph.

This was on an A road in rural Suffolk, and I was obviously too slow to reduce as we went through a village. I'm not dodging my responsibility.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I know all that. I do not speed in built up areas, and living on a side street that is a cut-through I know all about cretins who do. And at a lot more than 37mph.

Fair enough, I didn't, that's why I found interesting:)
    This was on an A road in rural Suffolk, and I was obviously too slow to reduce as we went through a village.

It is a bummer when you get caught out like that
    I'm not dodging my responsibility.

I wasn't suggesting that at all.