Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not know what Foucault's Pendulum is???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foucault's Pendulum
    The Foucault pendulum (English pronunciation: /fuːˈkoʊ/ foo-koh; French pronunciation: ​[fuˈko]), or Foucault's pendulum, named after the French physicist Léon Foucault, is a simple device conceived as an experiment to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. While it had long been known that the Earth rotated, the introduction of the Foucault pendulum in 1851 was the first simple proof of the rotation in an easy-to-see experiment. Today, Foucault pendulums are popular displays in science museums and universities.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Not know what Foucault's Pendulum is???

Yes, but what do the controls do?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move them and see!
    Forum Member
    Move them and see!

I did, and the pendulum just spun around really quickly :confused:
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Move them in relation to each other and watch the "swing" of the pendulum change and knock down the little pegs that appear around the edge of the circle.
    Forum Member
    Move them in relation to each other and watch the "swing" of the pendulum change and knock down the little pegs that appear around the edge of the circle.

:(

It's an epic fail, IMO, especially in comparison to the Roswell one where you had to help the little alien find his spaceship.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member

It's an epic fail, IMO, especially in comparison to the Roswell one where you had to help the little alien find his spaceship.

Epic fail because you don't understand basic physics?
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's an epic fail, IMO,
    especially in comparison to the Roswell one where you had to help the little alien find his spaceship.

LOL :D

Sorry, that's hilarious.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domestos wrote: »

I know Foucault about it too:(

(Mine is the black jacket with the hood on the end peg)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Yes, but what do the controls do?

IIRC, a pendulum at the North Pole swings in a fixed arc, as the Earth rotates beneath it, whereas one at the Equator does something different.

Hence controls to vary the time of day and the latitude.

*** plays ***

Starting at 30 degrees latitude, the closer to the Equator, the fewer pegs are knocked over, at the Equator only 2 are knocked over ... at 30 degrees latitude all are knocked over once per day , at the poles, the pegs would be knocked over twice per day were someone to stand them up.

EDIT: I think 30 degrees is the latitude at which it rotates through half a circle :o
    Forum Member
    Domestos wrote: »

Indeed, I can never get my head around how it behaves, so the simulation is most instructive.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a swinging pendulum isn't it? I know it changes direction when you move the control things but I'm not gonna pretend to understand the Science. If that means I'm thick then so be it. :o
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    It's just a swinging pendulum isn't it? I know it changes direction when you move the control things but I'm not gonna pretend to understand the Science. If that means I'm thick then so be it. :o

I wrote what happens two posts above yours.

Don't dismiss yourself as thick so readily! If it's not your cup of tea fair enough, but if you're curious, patient and methodical, you can see the pattern in what happens. :)
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not thick :) I cannot get my head around such things easily at all.

Someone dismissing it as an 'epic fail' is an epic fail though.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You're not thick, I keep telling you! :p
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

In the absence of a "like" button, I would just like to express my appreciation of this joke.

That is all.
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Not thick :) I cannot get my head around such things easily at all.

Someone dismissing it as an 'epic fail' is an epic fail though.

It is though. As others have said, it's just a pendulum swinging around. Big deal. It teaches you absolutely nothing about the principles involved.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

:D:D:D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is though. As others have said, it's just a pendulum swinging around. Big deal. It teaches you absolutely nothing about the principles involved.

It's only a doodle to mark Léon Foucault's birthday. If you want to find out about the principles involved then 'google it' as they say.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=leon+foucault+pendulum+experiment
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it you want to learn? Other resources are available, you know - and you can even use google to find them!

It's just a celebration of the now rather elderly Mr Foucault's birthday, that shows you how a real life pendulum set swinging at a particular latitude would behave over time. If you manage to set it exactly at the equator, you will see that no pegs are knocked down as time passes, because the plane of oscillation remains fixed.

It's good. And it's real (unlike Roswell aliens).
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »

*clap* :D
    Forum Member

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Oh that Foucault. I prefer Michel Foucault.