Cocker Spaniels

JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We recently acquired a beautiful female cocker spaniel rescue dog. She has been well loved and trained by her previous owner and so far does not seem to have any unusual or nasty "baggage" and we have totally fallen in love with her :D

Anyone else have cockers? Any hints, tips, funny or sad stories about your cocker you want to share? I have always wanted a spaniel ever since I was younger but as my mum was scared of all dogs and of course she would be the one primarily responsible in those days for its care, we were never allowed any kind of dog, so having one now is a dream come true for me!

Comments

• MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a lovely 13-year old Cocker Spaniel we 'adopted' from someone we knew, when he was 18 months old (due to allergies with a young baby) and he has always been the most perfectly behaved dog, who has never once put a foot wrong.

We could never have got a nicer Cocker Spaniel if we had paid a thousand pounds for one and I hope yours brings you as much pleasure as ours has. We have two other young dogs (sisters) who 'push' him around at times, in a friendly way, expecting him to romp around with them, so they often 'drag' him along the hall in between them, to try and get him to run around the garden with them, but he's a mummy's boy and prefers me to them!! :D
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have two :) I wouldn't be without them.

A great forum for anything cocker related in the UK is Cockers Online
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our's is just a wonderful companion already and we have only had her for just over two weeks!
    She loves the children and can sit happily on the sofa with them being fussed over but also loves a long walk both on and off lead.

The only hiccup we have had is that the other night my husband took her out for a walk in the dark and she ran ahead and wouldn't come back to him as she does during the day (her recall is excellent usually) but I said that I had read that spaniels can not see very well in the dark so I think he was expecting too much and I am annoyed with him because he should not have taken her off lead, in the dark in a place he had never walked her before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I've had mine from being a puppy hes called Fudge and is 7 this year. He is the most loving dog i've ever had, hes like a proper little human being and im sure if he could talk he would.

He comes to work with me everyday running around all day long and getting lots of fuss and compliments from our customers, some even ask after him when they telephone in.

My mum calls him her grandson (I dont have any children) and when she chats to friends she hasn't seen in a while and mentions her grandson they say I didnt know your daughter had children to which She proudly shows them a photo of him which she has on her phone :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have one but love them all the same!

We need to see a photo JanieB!
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have Cockers, only thing I will add is to keep an eye on any heart trouble as cockers are prone and my 2 both had heart trouble. Also use an old pair of tights to make a hair net to keep their ears out of the food!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having looked at Doglost, Im amazed at how many dogs get lost. Is the cocker chipped?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunny55 wrote: »
    having looked at Doglost, Im amazed at how many dogs get lost. Is the cocker chipped?

Oh absolutely bunny55, and she is insured. She was picked up as a stray but never claimed and was without a chip or collar at the time so we are making absolutely sure we do all we can to avoid it happening again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to have Cockers, only thing I will add is to keep an eye on any heart trouble as cockers are prone and my 2 both had heart trouble. Also use an old pair of tights to make a hair net to keep their ears out of the food!

Ah yes, the crusty dog food ears! We have already had the baby wipes out frequently for that! Good tip. Will try that later today. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has buried two bones in the garden and my younger son didn't believe real dogs did that (she is his first experience of a family dog. We had a lab cross years ago long before he was born) as he thought only "cartoon dogs" did that!

Also she was barking away last night at the front door. She had been out for her usual late wee in the garden and we couldn't stop her. It was only when I got upstairs I vaguely thought I heard my hubbie on his mobile outside. He tends to walk when he talks and obviously she could hear him whenever he strolled past the gate and was going mad! She was totally delighted when he came in to the house! Obviously getting used to us already as she certainly wasn't doing that last week. She is coming out of her shell little by little. Will try to get some photos uploaded shortly.