Options

Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 21)

Comments

• Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    But then it's Liverpool that have fielded an ineligible player, not Hearts.

In any case I don't think it's likely the SFA will admit they made a mistake.

If it wasnt attached to his registration then in effect the ban is still to be served.

I can see Caleys point - but Hearts have also done nothing wrong as the Sfa said he was ok to play.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    It was servered in the first match of the season he would've been there, Liverpool v Arsenal in the league, as the FA have a different disciplinary procedure than up here & don't operate specific competition based disciplinary bans
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jackie McNamara to be unveiled as Dundee United manager on Wednesday. Interesting but a bit unsure
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Much as Rangers are the club in Scottish football that I most dislike...

I do think that if the 12 /12 / 18 proposal is adopted, it should be for season 2014 / 15 rather than next season.

If it is for next season, it will be decided so late on that they are going to have to make decisions for how the two extra teams get into the second tier and decide what if anything ( Rangers are assuming they get nothing ) happens to the winners of the current fourth tier, while being aware of the teams that look in the key positions in the divisions. In particular while I believe there is a case for the 3rd division winners at least getting into a play-off for the new second tier, the fact that that will clearly be Rangers will influence very many for and against that idea.

I would next season leave promotion between the Premier and 1st division unchanged, then to increase the 1st Division to 12 teams :

Top 9 teams in 1st Division retain their status.
    Top 2 teams in 2nd Division promoted.
    Play-off for final place between : the bottom team in the 1st division, the third and fourth teams in the 2nd division and the top team in the 3rd division.

You could do this for the end of this season I guess, but as I said, many would think / be concerned it was a sop to Rangers rather than something for topping a season long league. Probably the most entertaining thing actually would be to allow Rangers into a play-off and for them to miss out ;) And also it could effect some others' fates based on how precisely they arrange any prmotion and play-off criteria.

While yes, Rangers would still be in the third tier of Scottish football whatever, it is indeed pretty ridiculous that a team can top a league for no reward over all the teams they have played in a season and then end up playing all these teams again the following season plus some more.
  • Options
    Paul_FordPaul_Ford Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Jackie McNamara to be unveiled as Dundee United manager on Wednesday. Interesting but a bit unsure

Bugger. I was hoping he would stay at the Jags.

Some good players at Utd, even though the game on Saturday was mince.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    If it wasnt attached to his registration then in effect the ban is still to be served.

I can see Caleys point - but Hearts have also done nothing wrong as the Sfa said he was ok to play.

Looks as if the SFA have possibly ballsed up pretty big time by informing Hearts that there was no outstanding disciplinary issues, when Wilson had never served that one match Scottish League Cup suspension.

If that is the case, clearly it would be unfair to say kick Hearts out, but maybe more of case for replaying the semi final ?.

Of course, if they are at fault, the SFA will try very hard to wangle their way out of it, and I suspect Hearts' place in the final is safe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

So they decided to avoid the the Pressley bullet :)
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paul_Ford wrote: »
    Bugger. I was hoping he would stay at the Jags.

Some good players at Utd, even though the game on Saturday was mince.

Do you feel he is ready for a much bigger job. United record under younger managers is not great Ian McCall Craig Brwster for example
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    Much as Rangers are the club in Scottish football that I most dislike...

I do think that if the 12 /12 / 18 proposal is adopted, it should be for season 2014 / 15 rather than next season.

If it is for next season, it will be decided so late on that they are going to have to make decisions for how the two extra teams get into the second tier and decide what if anything ( Rangers are assuming they get nothing ) happens to the winners of the current fourth tier, while being aware of the teams that look in the key positions in the divisions. In particular while I believe there is a case for the 3rd division winners at least getting into a play-off for the new second tier, the fact that that will clearly be Rangers will influence very many for and against that idea.

I would next season leave promotion between the Premier and 1st division unchanged, then to increase the 1st Division to 12 teams :

Top 9 teams in 1st Division retain their status.
    Top 2 teams in 2nd Division promoted.
    Play-off for final place between : the bottom team in the 1st division, the third and fourth teams in the 2nd division and the top team in the 3rd division.

You could do this for the end of this season I guess, but as I said, many would think / be concerned it was a sop to Rangers rather than something for topping a season long league. Probably the most entertaining thing actually would be to allow Rangers into a play-off and for them to miss out ;) And also it could effect some others' fates based on how precisely they arrange any prmotion and play-off criteria.

While yes, Rangers would still be in the third tier of Scottish football whatever, it is indeed pretty ridiculous that a team can top a league for no reward over all the teams they have played in a season and then end up playing all these teams again the following season plus some more.

as for THERANGERS ..... it would take the same amount of seasons to go from where they are in this current set up, as in the new setup ..... they would end up in the top division in TWO more seasons
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motherwell v Dundee Utd off due to a waterlogged pitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    as for THERANGERS ..... it would take the same amount of seasons to go from where they are in this current set up, as in the new setup ..... they would end up in the top division in TWO more seasons

Yes, I recognised that. It is still pretty ludicrous for teams to play a whole season in a division to effectively no purpose whatsoever. And the champions of that division to have no chance of being in any better position next season than all the teams it has finished ahead of this season.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I recognised that. It is still pretty ludicrous for teams to play a whole season in a division to effectively no purpose whatsoever. And the champions of that division to have no chance of being in any better position next season than all the teams it has finished ahead of this season.

I agree no season should be played for nothing though on the other hand would we be debating this if rangers were in the spl I dnt think any 3rd div team would get a 2nd thought.
  • Options
    croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »

Missing the point ... much??

Who is driving this proposed "change" through and why the sudden urgency despite virtually no fans being in favour of the plans ...

Didn't an SPL chairman previously say “You can’t ignore fans. Any business which ignores its customers is doomed to fail”. Stephen Thompson, Dundee United. 9th June 2012. Yet 7 months later he is doing exactly that as are the others it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsp263004 wrote: »
    I agree no season should be played for nothing though on the other hand would we be debating this if rangers were in the spl I dnt think any 3rd div team would get a 2nd thought.

Of course not - but we wouldn't be debating league reconstruction.
    crofter wrote: »
    Missing the point ... much??

Who is driving this proposed "change" through and why the sudden urgency despite virtually no fans being in favour of the plans ...

Didn't an SPL chairman previously say “You can’t ignore fans. Any business which ignores its customers is doomed to fail”. Stephen Thompson, Dundee United. 9th June 2012. Yet 7 months later he is doing exactly that as are the others it seems.

I've not seen that many fans groups say they'll not renew season tickets if their clubs votes the 12-12-18 through. I think for many there isn't enough detail about how it all works.

Celtic stand to lose more money than anyone, but if we're prepared to sacrifice that for the good of Scottish Football then so be it.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks as if the SFA have possibly ballsed up pretty big time by informing Hearts that there was no outstanding disciplinary issues, when Wilson had never served that one match Scottish League Cup suspension.

If that is the case, clearly it would be unfair to say kick Hearts out, but maybe more of case for replaying the semi final ?.

Of course, if they are at fault, the SFA will try very hard to wangle their way out of it, and I suspect Hearts' place in the final is safe.

SFA have said the English FA do not suspend people for specific tournaments and Wilson was suspended for a Liverpool v Arsenal EPL match as a result of the red card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Donnelly also joining Dundee United as McNamara's assistant.

Really hope it works out well for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SFA have said the English FA do not suspend people for specific tournaments and Wilson was suspended for a Liverpool v Arsenal EPL match as a result of the red card.

Ah, that sounds fair enough if Wilson did miss an English match, because of the Scottish League Cup issue.

I'm quite happy about that. Prefer us playing Hearts in the final.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    having beating Jackie McNamara's Partick twice this season I dont know if I am happy to see him leave :D,
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D

Like he was ever going to be near the Liverpool squad for that game.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would relegation work between the National League and non league in Scotland?
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How would relegation work between the National League and non league in Scotland?

The honest answer.
  • Options
    SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Of course not - but we wouldn't be debating league reconstruction.

I've not seen that many fans groups say they'll not renew season tickets if their clubs votes the 12-12-18 through. I think for many there isn't enough detail about how it all works.

Celtic stand to lose more money than anyone, but if we're prepared to sacrifice that for the good of Scottish Football then so be it.

What you on about? What fans' groups have you seen/asked about this re-structure and about renewing season tickets? "Celtic stand to lose more money than anyone" Why? But if we're "prepared to sacrifice" that for the GOOD of shittish football? Utter bollocks... Explain....
  • Options
    jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone see the thing on SSN about Sevco fans not participating in the boycott, like it's some big sacrifice.

Have to say I don't like the atmosphere building around Saturday's game.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    Anyone see the thing on SSN about Sevco fans not participating in the boycott, like it's some big sacrifice.

Have to say I don't like the atmosphere building around Saturday's game.
    Hope there will be no trouble, looks a cracking cup tie. Think you will win 2-1.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    according to the record(i know) the SFL are going to push for a 12-12-10-10 league set up.
This discussion has been closed.