PS4 sells double Xbox One in the US in January

Comments

• He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    Tbh, i don't use Kinect much myself when actually gaming, but i do use it for navigating the menus,recording quick 30 second clips with "Xbox,record that", auto sign in and Xbox Fitness.

My kids use it a hell of a lot for gaming. My son was playing Plants vs Zombies yesterday using just the Kinect.

I'm not certain that getting rid of Kinect sensor is the answer here. Some people will claim that a kinectless xbox one would make the console an easy purchase for them, but i'm not so sure. Kinect sensors are selling for around £50 on ebay anyway so why not just buy a console now and sell the sensor?
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CVG are reporting that MS have cut the price of multiple SKUs by around $50 in the US (including the recently released Titanfall bundle) on the MS Store.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do hope that MS release a Kinectless system at some point. I don't think kinect will catch on and become a major part of this generation the way MS are pushing.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He4rt wrote: »
    I'm not certain that getting rid of Kinect sensor is the answer here. Some people will claim that a kinectless xbox one would make the console an easy purchase for them, but i'm not so sure. Kinect sensors are selling for around £50 on ebay anyway so why not just buy a console now and sell the sensor?

Given that every Xbox One comes with a Kinect sensor, I really don't understand how there's a market for them on eBay :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still have no idea why MS think people want kinect incorporated with their gaming experience. Maybe it's just me but I have no interest what so ever, give me a standard controller any day. The sooner it dies out the better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Given that every Xbox One comes with a Kinect sensor, I really don't understand how there's a market for them on eBay :confused:

People buying spares incase theirs breaks?
    Modifying them for PC use?
    People banking on a Kinect-free package so they can sell it as an accessory later?

I can't see them holding any value once the market is flooded with them. The original Kinect may have been in huge demand once, but I picked mine up for £10 (with a game). Nobody seemed interested once the novelty had worn off.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Many of them are literally console only though, acquired through some warranty scam. You need to get yourself a joypad and power brick to use them.

And that bottom link has 0.0% positive feedback. I'd rather pay full price I think.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, i heard they were a warranty scam.

I wouldn't touch them with a massive barge pole, but it does explain one option of who is buying the sensors because these consoles are selling.
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bob2005 wrote: »
    Still have no idea why MS think people want kinect incorporated with their gaming experience. Maybe it's just me but I have no interest what so ever, give me a standard controller any day. The sooner it dies out the better.

I imagine I'm pushing water uphill with this but none the less:

Kinect's purpose is not solely based on gaming, it's used for other things, I can do things much quicker using kinect (ie the voice commands) than I can with a controller, by all means insist (without owning an X1 it seems) that the controller is better in all situations but you're very misguided and perhaps a little narrow minded. Gaming wise Kinect doesn't bring much to the table for most players, but it is certainly a useful and integral part of the multimedia elements of the X1. Unless I'm playing a game my controller sits turned off, I have no need for it. I do everything via voice commands.

Just because you dislike Kinect in respect to your own situation, doesn't really warrant it dying out for good, you'll see no end of people in these boards and elsewhere whom like Kinect for what it is and see it as an enhancement to their 'experience'. If you eventually pick up an X1 then you clearly have the right to leave kinect in the box, pointlessly spiting yourself, but I suppose that's your prerogative.

People are attributing a value to Kinect that officially has never been stated by MS, a few weeks ago everyone was saying Kinect was worth £80 using the simplistic price difference between PS4 and X1 to arrive at that figure, now we're at £50 it seems due to some ebay offers, I'd hazard a bet that Kinect is probably a lower value than £50 and probably around £30.

I feel there's far too much hate directed at Kinect that is frankly unfounded and typical forum hyperbole. You don't have to like the system, but to insist you want it dead and buried without appreciating how other users have none of the hangups that you do is a little unfair really.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel there's far too much hate directed at Kinect that is frankly unfounded and typical forum hyperbole. You don't have to like the system, but to insist you want it dead and buried without appreciating how other users have none of the hangups that you do is a little unfair really.

I agree with this, I don't see why someone would want it to die just because they don't like it. However I would question whether Kinect should be mandatory with every system sold. It clearly doesn't add value for all users, only some users want and like what Kinect offers so why force it on everyone. As I have said before MS need to demonstrate its value to all their customers, if they can only demonstrate its value to a percentage of its users then it shouldn't be mandatory as part of the package and a Kinectless Xbox 1 should be available.
    Kinect's purpose is not solely based on gaming, it's used for other things

The reason Kinect is mandatory is so that its available to everyone in the hope that if everyone has one developers will add support for it to their games, this is the strongest reason for having it packaged with every system. So if MS want to keep packaging it as standard with every Xbox 1 they need to back that up with games which uses it and make gamers want to use it. Otherwise it might as well just be a cool device for driving menus and playing dancing games.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As stated above, console only with no leads or controllers? AVOID AVOID AVOID!
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I imagine I'm pushing water uphill with this but none the less:

Kinect's purpose is not solely based on gaming, it's used for other things, I can do things much quicker using kinect (ie the voice commands) than I can with a controller, by all means insist (without owning an X1 it seems) that the controller is better in all situations but you're very misguided and perhaps a little narrow minded. Gaming wise Kinect doesn't bring much to the table for most players, but it is certainly a useful and integral part of the multimedia elements of the X1. Unless I'm playing a game my controller sits turned off, I have no need for it. I do everything via voice commands.

Just because you dislike Kinect in respect to your own situation, doesn't really warrant it dying out for good, you'll see no end of people in these boards and elsewhere whom like Kinect for what it is and see it as an enhancement to their 'experience'. If you eventually pick up an X1 then you clearly have the right to leave kinect in the box, pointlessly spiting yourself, but I suppose that's your prerogative.

People are attributing a value to Kinect that officially has never been stated by MS, a few weeks ago everyone was saying Kinect was worth £80 using the simplistic price difference between PS4 and X1 to arrive at that figure, now we're at £50 it seems due to some ebay offers, I'd hazard a bet that Kinect is probably a lower value than £50 and probably around £30.

Kinect costs MS $75 (~£45), apparently.

http://allthingsd.com/20131126/microsofts-xbox-one-cost-90-more-to-build-than-sonys-ps4-teardown-shows/

I agree that Kinect is for far more than just games, and is probably most useful for non-gaming things.

But... I think that part of the reason that Kinect is quicker for certain actions is that MS has made it slower to perform those actions without Kinect, as using the controller requires "drilling down" through multiple layers instead of just saying "Xbox, go to Achievements" or "Xbox, go to settings".

If MS had actually bothered to give the Xbox One a "Guide" like the 360 has, that would be quicker and more reliable than using Kinect. Just hit the Guide/Xbox button, and select Friends/Messages/Achievements/Party etc. and press A, like on the 360.

I also find Kinect rather poor for media, which is why I bought the Media Remote.

Much faster and of course more reliable to e.g. hit a dedicated Pause button on a remote than to shout "Xbox pause... XBOX PAUSE!... XBOX PAUSE!" Even if it does recognise the first attempt, a remote is still faster.
  • stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,395
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    K
    But... I think that part of the reason that Kinect is quicker for certain actions is that MS has made it slower to perform those actions without Kinect, as using the controller requires "drilling down" through multiple layers instead of just saying "Xbox, go to Achievements" or "Xbox, go to settings".

If MS had actually bothered to give the Xbox One a "Guide" like the 360 has, that would be quicker and more reliable than using Kinect. Just hit the Guide/Xbox button, and select Friends/Messages/Achievements/Party etc. and press A, like on the 360.
    I remember not long after the XB1 was released they were talking about Kinect on the ign Microsoft podcast & everyone on the view was put forward & agreed on by the panel that week that the Kinect Voice commands were a solution to a problem MicroSoft themselfs had created by making elements of the dash harder to use/access using just the controller.

When it comes to Kinect, Im on the 'don't want it' side of the argument, But I get that some do & that some like the voice commands & other features so I wouldn't go as far as saying I wanted it to die or whatever.

I've used Kinect on XB1 as a friend brought one, I just don't like it. I don't like it for games & I don't like using the voice commands because I don't want to be talking to or shouting at it or Having to repeat myself 10x to open a menu I could open by pressing 1 button on the pad.

Kinect is great if you want it & it works, For everyone else its just a useless piece of unwanted junk thats to them unnecessarily raising the price of the system.

With regards to a guide button, They should definitely look at bringing it back for those who don't want to use Kinect as that would make things a lot simpler than drilling into the menus.
    I was using my 360 a couple days ago after using my friends XB1, Its so much easier to navigate with a pad than the XB1 is all because of how great the guide menu is.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Kinect. I genuinely cannot understand the hate around it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    I love Kinect. I genuinely cannot understand the hate around it.

Imagine you went to a restaurant and ordered a main course but its restaurant rules you have order a started and drinks, you don't want them but you have to pay for them and the cost is added to the bill, would you be happy?

Imagine you went to a supermarket to do the weekly shop and where told you have buy to buy fuel for a car, whether you own a car or want fuel or not, you have to buy fuel with the shopping because it will be added to the bill

In both of those situations you would refuse to pay the extra and take your business else where, with X1 for a lot of people you are forced to pay extra for something you have no interest in, had there been bundles with it and without it like PS4 this would be a non issue
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    The only reason Kinect is so central for XB1 is that MS wanted it to be the trojan horse that takes over the living room media experience (something that MS has done next to nothing to introduce to us here in the UK).

You only have to look at the absolute lack of Kinect focused games that have come out for the XB1.

the mandatory bundling of Kinect is one of two big issues that is holding the console back at the moment. The other is the use of slower DDR3 ram, in combination with ESRAM on-die with the APU, and the bottleneck that has caused.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Imagine you went to a restaurant and ordered a main course but its restaurant rules you have order a started and drinks, you don't want them but you have to pay for them and the cost is added to the bill, would you be happy?

Imagine you went to a supermarket to do the weekly shop and where told you have buy to buy fuel for a car, whether you own a car or want fuel or not, you have to buy fuel with the shopping because it will be added to the bill

In both of those situations you would refuse to pay the extra and take your business else where, with X1 for a lot of people you are forced to pay extra for something you have no interest in, had there been bundles with it and without it like PS4 this would be a non issue

Not very 'fair' analogies. Having to buy fuel even if you haven't got a car? That would imply you have to buy a kinnect without the console! :D

Perhaps a fairer analogy would be buying a console with a peripheral that you may or may not want to use, but in any case CAN be used.
    Wait a minute...that's not an analogy, that's the way it is! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Not very 'fair' analogies. Having to buy fuel even if you haven't got a car? That would imply you have to buy a kinnect without the console! :D

Perhaps a fairer analogy would be buying a console with a peripheral that you may or may not want to use, but in any case CAN be used.

If you don't want Kinect it's hard to look at the bundle situation as anything other than been forced to pay for something you don't want. Especially when it could be removed so easily.

I get why MS want to bundle it, but I think they need to convince people of its value with software rather than forcing it on people without anything to back up their idea.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geemonkee wrote: »

No its like being forced to buy kinnect when you dont want to use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is exactly the reason I haven't upgraded to next gen yet I'll wait it out until kinect blows over which I can see happening towards the end of the year. MS should have made it optional from the start in my opinion.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See i don't get this whole "I'm forced to buy Kinect" argument. That is like saying your forced to buy the controller or the headset that comes with it too.

You can pick up the console for £350, the rrp of the PS4.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-console-349-99-delivered-shopplay-1855336

Or get the Titanfall bundle for just under £380.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-with-titanfall-379-99-plus-2-quidco-zavvi-1854121

Both very good deals when you compare it to the PS4.

Also just to add, when the X1 came out people on this very forum were stating that they finally get what MS were trying with the Kinect and the UI and that it works well. Seems to me the large majority of people who complain about Kinect coming with it are the ones who haven't purchased it yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    See i don't get this whole "I'm forced to buy Kinect" argument. That is like saying your forced to buy the controller or the headset that comes with it too.

The controller comment is just stupid as it is required to play all games. But the headset is a valid comment and TBH I don't understand why they bundle a headset with the console when so many different options are available for those who want to use a headset to buy one that best suits them. For those who don't it increase the price and for those who are serious about using a headset they will buy one anyway.

Its obvious what a customer loses if you don't bundle a controller, what exactly does the customer lose if you don't bundle Kinect?

Also the price of XB1 and PS4 don't really matter on this issue, if the XB1 was selling for £300 with Kinect I would still feel it could have been cheaper if Kinect wasn't included.

Some people like Kinect, but it is not an essential part of the system yet. MS need to prove its worth or unbundle it IMHO. The main reason I can see to bundle it is so everyone has one which means developers should support it, but as nobody is utilising it in their games with must have features what is the point. If there are must have features in the works talk about them soon and maybe people will accept Kinect. As far as I can tell at the moment Kinect is a nice optional extra that some people love, others don't care about it so why bundle it?
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Realise we are only 5 months into this generation and while I would agree it would be nice to have upcoming Kinect support in games spoken of, it's application goes far beyond just gaming as already mentioned earlier. Microsoft are treading carefully after the backlash they received with the original Kinect taking up too much time at prior E3 conferences since they're very much "gamer focussed" these days. Also, Rare's Kinect Sports Rivals is due out soon, which is the first dedicated piece of software designed to take full advantage of the new possibilities of Kinect 2.0, it won't be for everyone of course no matter how good it is but for those into motion gaming or the original series then I expect it to be a quality piece of software. The upcoming D4 is also built around Kinect integration.

It's also worth noting that you only have to spend some quality time with Kinect to understand it's potential, something I see numerous Indie devs latching onto in the near future, it has the ability to read your heart rate which surely has to be used at some point in a game.
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    OT: Regarding hardware sales, I'm not really one to pay attention to or care about how many consoles are selling unless it's particularly troubling numbers which isn't the case for either company. Personally speaking I'd be more concerned at the amount of key staff leaving top Sony studios than the amount the console is selling. In the past few days we've had the lead devs at Sony Santa Monica and Evolution leave as well as numerous layoffs at key studios, the lead writer/creative director for Uncharted; Amy Hennig also "left" recently and now today's news that see's the lead game designer for Uncharted 4 leaving ND after 8 years work on the series. Something's not quite right with Sony/ND at the moment.