Protests in Spain as womens abortion rights under threat of heavy curtail

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26000528

Proposals to make abortion only permissable if theres been a rape or threat to womans health.

I hope these proposals are dropped and Spain doesnt go backwards.

Comments

• HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    We have to be so vigilant on these issues,first Spain and then possibly other european countries with a strong catholic dimension like Belgium and Portugal.Rights that are takenfor granted are easily nabbed back from people.
    Forum Member
    When I think of how this right is also under threat in America it actually makes me shudder to think about the potential future.
  • kaiserbeekaiserbee Posts: 4,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're determined to get this going aren't you? :)
    I think everyone's worn out by the last abortion-based thread.

But yes, sadly, the right to legal abortion always needs protecting.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've mentioned Spain, Belgium, Portugal, America... let's not forget there's an area of the UK already with backwards abortion laws.
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the recent swing to moral conservatism intriguing.
    Forum Member
    I'm finding the recent swing to moral conservatism intriguing.

Me too but I do think politicians are out of step with public sentiment on this.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26000528

Proposals to make abortion only permissable if theres been a rape or threat to womans health.

I hope these proposals are dropped and Spain doesnt go backwards.

Good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those with the 'no abortion unless the woman was raped' mentality have some of the worst critical thinking skills I've ever encountered.
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    Those with the 'no abortion unless the woman was raped' mentality have some of the worst critical thinking skills I've ever encountered.

Some people don't need to justify their every belief with critical thinking.

Sometimes they just recognise that something is repugnant and that's enough.

Anyway, I hope that bill passes and more countries catch on. I know that some won't agree, but hey, people are all different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Yeah, because we all need to go back to the days where back alley abortions happened instead of medically assisted abortions with a licensed practitioner.

Why do the Catholics wish to drag us all back down to their primitive level? They start with women's rights, next it will be homosexuals, blacks and everyone's favourite punch bag when the times are tough, the Jews.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 100% with the protesters on this...

In my opinion I think it's pretty cowardly of the EU not to enshrine the right to choose in European law. In this millennium it really is time the world stopped pandering to self serving religious organisations.

If they don't want contraception and abortion then no one is forcing them to use it or have one... Unfortunately that will mean these nut-jobs will out-breed the rest of us!
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another day, another abortion thread hey?

*sigh*
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't need to go backwards with womens rights. I hope this does not go ahead because where Spain goes Portugal, Malta etc tend to follow.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Yeah, because we all need to go back to the days where back alley abortions happened instead of medically assisted abortions with a licensed practitioner.

Why do the Catholics wish to drag us all back down to their primitive level? They start with women's rights, next it will be homosexuals, blacks and everyone's favourite punch bag when the times are tough, the Jews.

Maybe Catholics would prefer to reinstate the Magdalene Laundries, nice bit of slave labour and punishment chucked in, not just for pregnancy either, just for being born female, a temptress.
    Forum Member
    Every child should be a wanted child so to create a climate that will inevitably mean more unwanted children is immoral in my opinion and its a concern to me in the developed world this idea is being chipped away at.
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/23/spain-abandons-plan-introduce-tough-new-abortion-laws It seems this plan has fallen through and been ditched as the politicians could not reach a consensus.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/23/spain-abandons-plan-introduce-tough-new-abortion-laws It seems this plan has fallen through and been ditched as the politicians could not reach a consensus.

that`s as it should be.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"Rajoy said his government would instead seek to reform the law introduced in 2010, so that 16- and 17-year-olds would need their parent’s permission to have an abortion. The reform would be introduced by the end of the year, he said."

Not totally abandoned. The most vulnerable and least likely to have funds for private care elsewheres are being targeted instead.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    "Rajoy said his government would instead seek to reform the law introduced in 2010, so that 16- and 17-year-olds would need their parent’s permission to have an abortion. The reform would be introduced by the end of the year, he said."

Not totally abandoned. The most vulnerable and least likely to have funds for private care elsewheres are being targeted instead.

Eh? How do you come to that conclusion? The proposed change is that 16-17 year-olds have to have permission from their parents. That's all of them, presumably, regardless of wealth. Personally, I don't agree with them having to seek permission but it's got nothing to do with the 'vulnerable' or the poor.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh? How do you come to that conclusion? The proposed change is that 16-17 year-olds have to have permission from their parents. That's all of them, presumably, regardless of wealth. Personally, I don't agree with them having to seek permission but it's got nothing to do with the 'vulnerable' or the poor.

They are vulnerable and poor because of their ages!

Vulnerable, because they are young and having to get parental permission could open up a whole can of worms for them - from being denied permission, facing punishments, being thrown out, etc. Poor, because teenagers of that age rarely have a stash of money to use to make other arrangements such as travelling to another country, etc.
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

16-17 tend not to have money to fly to different countries for private treatment whereas adult women are more likely to, also to be more confident in arranging protests and have more social contacts to access other help..

A pregnant 16-17 is already more likely to delay facing facts when pregnant, add in then having to inform their parents to get help makes them even more vulnerable and less likely to access help even if they do have supportive parents.
    Forum Member
    that`s as it should be.

Agreed
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The solution is easy, hold a referendum on the matter, and if the majority of the people of spain want abortion, let abortion be illegal, if they feel that is isn't welcome in their society, then make it illegal. Simple. Democracy.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a woman doesn't want to have a child, for whatever reason, that should be enough to get her an abortion. I can't believe in this day and age, in seemingly civilised countries there are still people trying to drag us backwards on this issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    If a woman doesn't want to have a child, for whatever reason, that should be enough to get her an abortion. I can't believe in this day and age, in seemingly civilised countries there are still people trying to drag us backwards on this issue.

Some would argue it is uncivilized to abort a baby, or the potential to be a baby, when it is the definition of innocent and done nothing wrong.