Options

Panic attacks and motorway driving

2»

Comments

• Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I think there's also an element of just becoming used to it.

When I was a young driver I didn't like night driving. As I became more experienced and working hours meant that from October to March both ways of my commute were done in the dark, I became used to it and it didn't bother me at all.

Now I don't commute and have done little night driving for the past 8 years I'm back to not liking it again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't fathom the attack of the panics when only motorways are encountered. It's very weird

Do you get a slight case of the willies when on a Dual Carraigeway or a frisson of slight unease when driving on a Urban Expressway ?

Jeez, Thank God for us blokes in two world wars , wimmin eh ?
  • Options
    JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I would also agree with this. I have often driven up to Kent around this time of night, and the roads are generally almost empty (even the M25!), so it's far less stressful.

I don't know if this would make a difference to you, but do you use a SatNav when you're driving? I keep my SatNav on when I'm going on a longer journey now - even if I'm just going from Sussex to Kent where I know the way and have driven loads of times - because I find it helpful to have the SatNav to tell me how far I have to go until the next exit etc, it means I can decide in plenty of time what to do. Don't know if that would help you, but it might be something to consider if you don't already?

Another brilliant idea. Thank you!
    Yesterday we went out again and I felt all spurred on by what I had achieved on Saturday and yet I couldn't do it. It was a busy Sunday afternoon and we were trying to get on a simple route from Stirling Corner at the end of the A1 to South Mimms where I would go up to the services and then come back again. I was so cross with myself, but I suppose it is just a bit at a time.

The satnav is a great idea. We had one when we were in America. That is another thing I mourn. When we were there in 1993 (pre-anxiety!) I willingly shared the driving and didn't seem remotely phased that I was four months pregnant at the time either. I loved getting on those US freeways, especially going through LA in the rush hour. I just thought I was in the movies!

I had to give that up too. I thought I would be different in a different country :rolleyes: and was all geared up (pardon the pun) but when I looked out the back window of our hotel which looked over on to the Santa Ana freeway and there was like six lanes of traffic in ONE DIRECTION :eek: I turned to jelly and left the whole damned thing for my other half to deal with. That was just a horrible thing to go through. Remembering how confident and self assured I had been all those years ago on previous US holidays.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't fathom the attack of the panics when only motorways are encountered. It's very weird

Do you get a slight case of the willies when on a Dual Carraigeway or a frisson of slight unease when driving on a Urban Expressway ?

Jeez, Thank God for us blokes in two world wars , wimmin eh ?

I know you don't mean to be unkind or sarcastic but it annoys me when people make fun of those who have panic attacks. They are certainly not funny when they happen. If you read back you will see that my fear of motorways could be to do with nearly losing one of my children to a RTA and although it didn't happen on a motorway I think that is where my fear of driving long distances began.

Yes I do feel a frisson of great unease when I go on a dual carriage way especially if it is wide. It might sound stupid to someone who doesn't understand (my husband used to get really irritated with me sometimes and still does when he is tired and doesn't want to drive).

Anyway at least I know I am not alone after posting this thread and that gives me some comfort.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JanieB wrote: »
    I know you don't mean to be unkind or sarcastic but it annoys me when people make fun of those who have panic attacks. They are certainly not funny when they happen. If you read back you will see that my fear of motorways could be to do with nearly losing one of my children to a RTA and although it didn't happen on a motorway I think that is where my fear of driving long distances began.

Yes I do feel a frisson of great unease when I go on a dual carriage way especially if it is wide. It might sound stupid to someone who doesn't understand (my husband used to get really irritated with me sometimes and still does when he is tired and doesn't want to drive).

Anyway at least I know I am not alone after posting this thread and that gives me some comfort.

Just be a little careful with sat navs. I use one every day for driving around London and it is brilliant...wouldn't be without it now. But............had to drive through France last year without a sat nav. No problem in that I know France very well but did miss a few directions because I was so used to the sat nav kicking in and telling me what to do! Wasn't a major problem but it did make me aware of how sat navs changed the way I drove and made me less observant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just be a little careful with sat navs. I use one every day for driving around London and it is brilliant...wouldn't be without it now. But............had to drive through France last year without a sat nav. No problem in that I know France very well but did miss a few directions because I was so used to the sat nav kicking in and telling me what to do! Wasn't a major problem but it did make me aware of how sat navs changed the way I drove and made me less observant

Hi Stargazer61, it's interesting you should say that. I was chatting to someone yesterday about using Satnavs and they said the same thing. She was sort of dependent on them without realising it. The woman's voice kept her company on long distances (she is a drug rep) and she always felt reassured that the Satnav would take her to exactly where she had to be,

Then she got in to a car without one and instantly felt disorientated and anxious because the onus of responsibility for her route was back on her and her tatty old map again! :)