If the place is half empty, sit somewhere else

Comments

• Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Why are you all so unsociable ?

It's not being unsociable. When your'e on a large stretch of open beach, we choose our spot so that the kids can play cricket or any ball games, so that they don't annoy anyone else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Happens to me in the cinema all the time.
    Once i was sat on the back row, i had my bag on the chair to my left, then there was 2 empty seats separating me and 2 boys who sat down. This i didn't find so bad, 2 young lads wanting to sit on the back row, at least they left 3 seats between us.

So the film starts and in hobbles a middle aged overweight woman loaded down with bags and bags of shopping.
    "Its okay" i thought, "Shes obviously going to sit in one of the many many empty seats away from me."
    Shes still walking up the stairs.....
    Yes she sat in the one empty seat between the chair that had my bag on and the chair that had one of the lads popcorn on. Unbelievable

She then spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out where to put all of her bags, then another 5 minutes getting out her sandwiches.
    THEN! she got really into the film, started leaning forward at intense moments, jumping back in shock, shouting NO! Cringing, saying "awwwww" I could not believe it!

At first i though about moving away but didnt want to be rude, then it became funny and i actually enjoyed her reactions to the film more than the film itself!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...can't recollect having anyone sit next to me smelling of shit...how incommodious :(

Seriously? That's a genuine word?

Fabulous! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    Seriously? That's a genuine word?

Fabulous! :D

...an oldie but goodie :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, allow me to show my age. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaJ-HmfAnJM

:D
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a full, crowded conference, full of comparatively sane and normal people the one, lone looney will seek me out and sit next to me. Then talk to me loudly throughout whilst all my friends/colleagues sit the other side, peeing themselves with laughter cos Hogzilla got the nutjob - again.

Even in crowded places I'm a loon magnet.

I hate that in the cinema though when it's almost empty and some pervert insists on sitting next to you. Usually waiting til you're settled and the film's started so you have to stand up, popcorn in one hand drink in t'other, to let this thundering idiot crash past you when there are 60 rows of empty seats rolling out towards the horizon in every direction.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Do you do this and if so would really appreciate an explanation. :confused:

Truthfully,I don't know.Probably.I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to deliberately make a point of choosing a seat which was as far away from someone as possible just because the place was empty.I guess I just sit wherever I feel like and obviously misjudge how many people seem to be so uncomfortable with it.I honestly can't work out if I'm odd or you lot are :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, allow me to show my age. :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaJ-HmfAnJM

:D

Brilliant!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truthfully,I don't know.Probably.I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to deliberately make a point of choosing a seat which was as far away from someone as possible just because the place was empty.I guess I just sit wherever I feel like and obviously misjudge how many people seem to be so uncomfortable with it.I honestly can't work out if I'm odd or you lot are :)

Seriously, its really annoying. You don't have to sit as far away as possible. just not right up beside them.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    You notice it on London Underground trains - if you're lucky enough to live somewhere where the trains start and finish you might get a seat and you'll see a strange phenomenon when people get on the train - they'll not take the seat directly next to someone and will always leave at least a one seat gap between themselves and the next person.

Even I find myself doing it - I think it is a "personal space" thing, people don't like to feel "invaded". Later on in the journey of course you have no choice but to be in close proximity to your fellow customers but even then you'll try to ignore them as much as possible!
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You see, I don't get what is unsociable about not wanting random strangers to sit next to you when there are 50 other empty seats. If it was my friend and I wanted them to sit somewhere else, fair enough, that isn't very sociable but that isn't what anyone is saying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Yes, I too find it a bit odd. I usually think they do it for reasons such as sound/noise, lighting, view or it's their favorite table etc. so it doesn't bother me too much.

What did bother me was one time a waitress sat a family with two small children directly across from me while I was on a first date. We were the only two groups in the restaurant so there was no excuse for it. None. This bothered me considerably because we then had to "monitor" what we said to each other - not that we could actually hear anything over the kids anyway.

There was a reason no other patrons were dining at that place and it's now out of business.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member

Privacy, especially when talking about business because there are confidentiality issues at play.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - just pat the seat and grin as they walk towards you - they'll soon sit elsewhere.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member
    Moony wrote: »
    OP - just pat the seat and grin as they walk towards you - they'll soon sit elsewhere.

...i laughed :D
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else find it annoying if you're sitting in a three quarters empty cinema/church/bus and some one comes in and sits right up beside you? Even if it means you having to move your coat or shuffle up a bit or whatever.

Happened to me yesterday and I really couldn't understand it. Why would you want to sit on top of someone else when there's loads of space to spread yourself, your coat/bag/belongings out?

God yeah, I know what you mean. Life can be really harsh sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously, its really annoying. You don't have to sit as far away as possible. just not right up beside them.

In fairness they are allowed to sit where they like and if it really really bothered you that much then you could have moved just as easily. If you weren't prepared to just move to make your life that little bit better then really what have you got to complain about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant!

Who remembers this one? (from 2:30) ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who remembers this one? (from 2:30) ;)

I really despise that bloke. Utter utter hypocrite.
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can guarantee that if I sit on a half-empty bus and the village idiot gets on, he/she will sit next to me!
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    I find exactly the same thing happens when you sit on an empty beach, next minute someone comes and sits right next to you.

Grrrrrrr, This really annoys me too. :mad: Happened a few times last year when were down in Cornwall. We'd trekked down the beach to find a decent spot a reasonable distance from others. I went in the sea and when I came back couldn't believe that this bunch of t0ssers had parked themselves right next to us. You literally couldn't tell where our area finished and theirs began. A passer by would assume we were all one family.

Really wound me up so to calm down I had a bit of a kick about of the football with my son. Of course it was purely "accidental" that on a couple of occassions the sandy ball got kicked into them while they were sitting there.

And then they had the friggin nerve to ask if we could play further away! :eek:

Grrrrrrrrrr!
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did used to feel uncomfortable on crowded trains - you sit next to someone, then the carriage slowly empties till there are loads of spare seats. Is it rude to move away then?

I tend to say 'Oh I'll move and give you more space now'. But I wouldn't like them to think I've moved because they smell or something!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a large office which has 8 bog cubicles, and always when all other cubiles are free and I am in the end one someone will come in and get into the one next to me. why ???? why not the one furthest away? and do they spend the night before eating eggy curry dishes to maximise the smell they generate?

Another one is, I often sail to France. So there we are having a delightful trip in calm seas on our own then some nutter in there million quid plastic motor boat will whiz at us from nowhere and pass a few feet from us bouncing us around with his wake .... why ??? he had miles of sea to travel in and not ruin our day ... shame concorde stop flying, as back in the day those idiots would hear the sonic boom and panic that their engines had blown up .

Make out points... why when its dark and there is a huge carpark empty does some tony come park right next to you and sit there on their own eating crips.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else find it annoying if you're sitting in a three quarters empty cinema/church/bus and some one comes in and sits right up beside you? Even if it means you having to move your coat or shuffle up a bit or whatever.
    Gawge wrote: »
    In Cinemas, if it is fairly empty, you should always sit a fair bit away from other people. i.e. Not within 4-5 seats or directly behind/infront.
    neelia wrote: »
    I am rather hoping that someone who does this pops in and tells us why. I have never understood it either.

It depends where you are sitting. There are optimum spaces to sit.

For visuals this is obviously with your eyeline roughly level with the centre of the screen. For audio this is neither too close to one side or the other or too close to the front or rear.

There is therefore a sweet spot that encompasses about three rows in the centre of the auditorium, about three - four seats either side of the centre line.

If you sit in one of those and there is a seats nearby. I'll sit in it. Why should I have my experience (slightly) lessened.

I'm not going to downgrade my experience because you feel a little uncomfortable in a public area.
  • Options
    BroadwayBabyNYBroadwayBabyNY Posts: 2,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me yesterday and I really couldn't understand it. Why would you want to sit on top of someone else when there's loads of space to spread yourself, your coat/bag/belongings out?

Funny you should mention that...my boyfriend often INSISTS that I do that very thing. :p