Options

Baroness Thatcher Dies - news & television coverage

Comments

• Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Fortunately F1 is in another country and so won't be affected at all.

If it was British GP weekend it would still go ahead.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't demand respect and certainly not on someone else's behalf.

Respect is earnt and if the post doesn't feel that she earnt it then it is not for you to correct them.

I was referring to her family actually. How would you feel if someone was cheering the death of one of your relatives.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    You can't demand respect and certainly not on someone else's behalf.

Respect is earnt and if the post doesn't feel that she earnt it then it is not for you to correct them.

Ok, let's put it another way. Would you like it if someone you knew died and was called this that and the other, and were told that people were celebrating their death with a party and champagne? I doubt it. Whether people think someone has earnt respect or not, you don't go round basically celebrating and calling them this that and the others when they're dead. That's disrespectful, whichever way you look at it.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    And believe me, a Wembley semi final being played on Saturday at 5.15pm isnt going to be cancelled because of a funeral being held in a totally different part of London six hours (or whatever) earlier.
    Some of you in here are insane, no sporting events are going to be cancelled.

True and if anything a minutes silence will be the order of the day.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

Which half the crowd at least wont observe, rightly or wrongly (this thread isnt about that). So a fruitless endeavor.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Which half the crowd at least wont observe.

Correct again.
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Why does the BBC keep captioning Lord Gummer as Lord Deben ?

John Gummer is Lord (or Baron) Deben.

His daughter was fed on beefurgers during the BSE cricis, but survived. We know now that this was because the burgers are made of horse meat, and not scrapey as originally suspected.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure many Wigan fans or Millwall come to think of it are going to be happy observing a minutes silence for a former Tory PM.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect David Dimbleby is already ironing out the creases in his black suit, I know he dont do weddings no more but funerals are still his gig.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God David Mellor wearing a black tie on BBC News special. Why know one else is?
  • Options
    Forum Member

imagine trying to do a minutes silence in merseyside. or the north east.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tedjrr wrote: »
    John Gummer is Lord (or Baron) Deben.

His daughter was fed on beefurgers during the BSE cricis, but survived. We know now that this was because the burgers are made of horse meat, and not scrapey as originally suspected.

Thanks - Huw Edwards keeps calling him Lord Gummer.I'm relieved to hear the news about his daughter.
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There wont be any minutes silence at footie matches for Thatcher, she was a PM and she divided opinion, its best if they avoid it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC News covering it like it's a General Election.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No reaction from the Falls Road yet - I assume they're dancing in the street:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Maybe because they arent in mourning for her. I havent seen the news yet but are the BBC newscasters not wearing a black tie?
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    What? With his Chelsea kit?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    There wont be any minutes silence at footie matches for Thatcher, she was a PM and she divided opinion, its best if they avoid it.
    Yes agreed it would be a total embarrasement to hold a minutes silence at any football match. I can just imagine how that would go down in the North East!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy Thompson wearing a Blue tie and black suit. Gillian Joseph wearing black dress. Huw Edwards wearing Blue tie.

It's the day when all the oldies from her rein come out from the woodwork.
  • Options
    TrinitronHDTrinitronHD Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately F1 is in another country and so won't be affected at all.
    There is no chance of the race being cancelled but TV coverage here could be affected, particularly the BBC highlights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no chance of the race being cancelled but TV coverage here could be affected, particularly the BBC highlights.

at worst the coverage moves from bbc1 to bbc2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt live coverage will be, as for highlights I guess they are easier to move around the schedule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky News outside the Ritz Hotel where she was staying and died this morning. All the paps climbing up the fence outside to see if they can get a picture of her body which still hasn't been removed. A bit sick an't it?
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Sky News outside the Ritz Hotel where she was staying and died this morning. All the paps climbing up the fence outside to see if they can get a picture of her body which still hasn't been removed. A bit sick an't it?

Yeah, it's a bit sick, but it'd sell newspapers, that's for sure.
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally, a good news story. :-)

See,Sky News are reporting both sides, both the kind words from her family & friends, and from the miners and others affected by her policies, the truth.

When the news came in that Thatcher had resigned, I was part of a team fitting out the BBC's Millbank (Westminster) area.
    There was a fantastic cheer as the news came through.

I expect the there will be another cheer today from all of us who suffered from her policies.