agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Nothing major, thankfully.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Yep, some people get seemingly obsessive and very creepy. I must admit that I've often wondered what the fascination is. At the end of the day we're just anonymous characters at the end of an internet connection, often hundreds of miles apart, who write words on a screen and will never ever meet. If we chose to simply stop posting, there would be zero effect on our lives, and that would be the last we ever heard of these people.

Incidentally, I've come to the conclusion that if you want to discuss an actual real life event, it might be better to present it on here as a hypothetical scenario, to avoid the inevitable accusation that you've made it up.

That is probably sound advice. A bit like a problem page, "My friend has this problem... yes, honest, it's my friend!";)

It does seen a lot of effort to post stalk someone - and it is the thought of someone making all that effort that makes it creepy and weird. It is the same two posters, so they feed off eachother's energy, I spose. Also creepy to think PMs are flying back and forth. Is it really worth that amount of time and effort?

Years ago was on a forum where I clashed big time with a certain poster and she with me. We hated eachother's guts. Someone who knew both of us IRL, kept telling me Id love her if I met her. Then at a meet up, we met eachother and got on really well. I realised the problem was, we were so similar! So I always have that in the back of my mind, when someone seems to really take a dislike - that IRL it might be someone I'd think was great. Hard to put such a positive spin on my creepy little Greek chorus, though.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I would like to publicly and sincerely apologize to Blueblade for my outburst on a thread yonks ago. It was on a thread regarding housefires and cats escaping them. The subject was/is a little too close to my heart and I snapped. I have felt really awful about it ever since and I really am sorry. :o:o
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    I would like to publicly and sincerely apologize to Blueblade for my outburst on a thread yonks ago. It was on a thread regarding housefires and cats escaping them. The subject was/is a little too close to my heart and I snapped. I have felt really awful about it ever since and I really am sorry. :o:o

Sometimes a "like" button would be nice here.:)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think Blueblade is the type to let such things worry him...don't sweat it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Sometimes a "like" button would be nice here.:)

Better still, remove the :rolleyes: smiley!
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Better still, remove the :rolleyes: smiley!

I agree, tho I used it this morning, for only the second time. Had to be done tho:)
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of people have had a go at me on here. Why, only last week someone called me a pathetic ignoramus. It just makes me laugh. Sometimes I am guilty of posting something controversial just to wind people up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People having a go at you goes with the territory in any robust debate.

But there are a cadre of posters on here who, when you examine their posts, seem to have set themselves up as permacritics of others, whilst never actually having the courage to put their own honestly held views on the line for all to see. In fact you virtually never see a pleasant, friendly post from them. Nor for that matter, a thread, certainly not on a controversial issue.

They're the ones I can't stand, because essentially they are cowards.

I think it's okay to tell someone they're talking rubbish from time to time without completely outlining your own world view.

The likes of Barry_Johnson deserve to be called out.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    You occasionally get it. I don't know why. I am not up myself by any means. I am friendly. I never say anything rude to other posters even if I disagree with them. Some people seem to have a problem understanding a friendly discussion Forum.
    Sorta. There's one (who may post as two) in the Sky HD area who has misrepresented what I posted on several occasions over the years. I think he does it to other people though. He either has bad reading comprehension or just thinks it's funny. Possibly in training to be a Daily Mail journalist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think threads like this one actually do a lot to repair any previous differences! Everyone is on best behaviour and are a lot more tolerant, its also a good way to explain your own way of posting without looking weak!

You tend to go into other threads with a slightly better view of the FM you thought was out to get you, you learn that its never personal!

I will always apologise publically if I'm wrong but does anyone else have a real problem with backing down or admitting you don't know the answer?

Well done for starting it OP!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once asked for my own posting to be removed! :eek:

I came online a bit 'too merry' and posted a load of nonsense. So as soon as I had sobered up a bit, I contacted the moderator and asked to have my long nonsensical posting removed....

But I've forgiven myself for reporting myself to the moderator though :p
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Loads. Some of them are weird enough to send me PMs as well. Especially funny are the ones who PM to tell me not to reply to them any more as they are putting me on ignore. :D

It's just what happens when people exchange opinions.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once or twice on the BB forum cause i had the audacity to not really like the forum fav at the time :eek::D Doesn't really bother me though :o:p
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member

I will always apologise publically if I'm wrong but does anyone else have a real problem with backing down or admitting you don't know the answer?

Not nowadays no. I think I might have done a few years ago though, but with age I don't care about being right so much, especially on the net.

It makes me think of this cartoon from way back.

Edit; Ironically got the spelling wrong on this post. Obviously I must care a bit or I wouldn't edit. and that makes me this of this cartoon.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I made the mistake of dipping into the soap forum (I was bored!) Within two minutes, I was called a racist because I said I found Dev on Corrie funny when he was crying. Never going there again :(

I think I started that thread, and almost straight away someone started the racist stuff!:confused::rolleyes::D

And his crying WAS hilarious.:o
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to say I'd forgotten all about it. Many arguments later on here, it has long since disappeared into oblivion.

Anyway, sorry if whatever I said upset you. Forgiveness all round hopefully :)
    I don't think Blueblade is the type to let such things worry him...don't sweat it!

I'm not.
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Countless times. A good thrashing soon puts them back in their box. There is a pack that oft descends a thread in which they think they can cause an argument- they are quite boring when they get involved. But a stiff ignoring will see them scurry off with tails between legs to search for another place for them to disagree with someone about something.:yawn:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's okay to tell someone they're talking rubbish from time to time without completely outlining your own world view.

The likes of Barry_Johnson deserve to be called out.

From time to time in an exceptionally poor thread, maybe. But some have turned into their sole occupation on here.

I do get pissed off with looking at a new thread, and literally the whole first page is just aimed at the OP, with no actual attempt to discuss the topic.

If you don't like the thread, ignore it and go elsewhere. Or attack the principle/opinion, not the poster personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Always.

Well, you're lucky enough to have someone who follows you around the forum to disagree with you.

Not naming names of course.
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From time to time in an exceptionally poor thread, maybe. But some have turned into their sole occupation on here.

I do get pissed off with looking at a new thread, and literally the whole first page is just aimed at the OP, with no actual attempt to discuss the topic.

If you don't like the thread, ignore it and go elsewhere. Or attack the principle/opinion, not the poster personally.

I echo this sentiment. Ignoring is the best course of action. They tire easily.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    So long as it is an uncalled for go at me I don't care; within reason; it is when it is justified that it really irks me.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    But there are a cadre of posters on here who, when you examine their posts, seem to have set themselves up as permacritics of others, whilst never actually having the courage to put their own honestly held views on the line for all to see. In fact you virtually never see a pleasant, friendly post from them. Nor for that matter, a thread, certainly not on a controversial issue.

They're the ones I can't stand, because essentially they are cowards.

Right behind you on that one. :)

I suppose it's all "just internetz" at the end of the day but some things are (IMO, at least) more worthy of respect than others and if people are attempting to discuss something relatively important I think it's only fair that every participant puts their own opinions up there for scrutiny rather than simply "throwing rocks" cos any muppet can do that.

"Cowardly" probably is the best term to describe it because they're trying to undermine another persons view without exposing their own views to the same possibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think threads like this one actually do a lot to repair any previous differences! Everyone is on best behaviour and are a lot more tolerant, its also a good way to explain your own way of posting without looking weak!

You tend to go into other threads with a slightly better view of the FM you thought was out to get you, you learn that its never personal!

Well done for starting it OP!

Backing down or apologising depends on the way the point concerned is put to you.

Compare and contrast the following:-

"You got it wrong, again. Do you ever actually read the thread, you half brained twerp"

or

"May I just point out that whilst you make some good points overall, the remark you made about X is a little unfair because of x, y & z"

Nobody is going to back down and apologise to the first post without their credibility and any sense of cyber self worth and respect, being subsequently shot to pieces. The second meets whoever it is halfway with a conciliatory tone, and is much more amenable to an apology, like:-

"Yeah, on reflection, you're right about that. I was a bit hasty"
This discussion has been closed.