Marlon and same sex marriage

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone else get the vibe that during the discussion about same sex marriage, Marlon was very aware of the public/cameras and that he was just saying the 'right' thing? Not saying he is homophobic but I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

Comments

• Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously doubt it.

A lot of homophobes are open about being homophobes.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Yeah wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the vibe that during the discussion about same sex marriage, Marlon was very aware of the public/cameras and that he was just saying the 'right' thing? Not saying he is homophobic but I wouldn't be surprised if he was.

I don't think he's homophobic, but I agree he was thinking about the cameras. He even said that you have to be careful with things like that. I get the feeling he's very aware he's being watched and is holding a lot in.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It doesn't take a lot of self-awareness (well, maybe it does in the BB house) to edit your opinions in the wrong company.

So good for him, regardless of his opinion of marriage equality, for not being an idiot.
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member

I thought he was in a real hurry to let everyone know his opinion. I didn't think it was necessary to be pointing out that he was distancing himself from the conversation because it was "wrong". If you don't like the conversation remove yourself if you want but I don't know why he felt the need to then go round telling everyone. I think most of them are mature enough to let Danielle have her opinion whilst not agreeing with it.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he probably does believe in it but I'm sure he was very aware of the cameras when he was talking about it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If same sex marriage has been up for debate and a vote in the Houses of Parliament, then there is more than one legitimate opinion.

If the resulting legislation specifically does not allow the Church of England to perform same sex marriages, then there is still room for debate.

The idea that there is only one correct opinion on this subject is naive and unthinking.

My own personal opinion cannot be inferred from this post.

So sucks boo to ya.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conehead wrote: »
    If same sex marriage has been up for debate and a vote in the Houses of Parliament, then there is more than one legitimate opinion.

If the resulting legislation specifically does not allow the Church of England to perform same sex marriages, then there is still room for debate.

The idea that there is only one correct opinion on this subject is naive and unthinking.

My own personal opinion cannot be inferred from this post.

So sucks boo to ya.

I agree I am in favour of Gay Marriage (being gay myself), But will not tolerate others telling people they must prescribe to that opinion. There is always room for debate and discussion that is if we do live in a true democracy ;-).

It put me off Marlon and Kimberly a bit whilst respecting Danielle more. I may disagree with her but she explained and defended her position without storming off or crapping over anyone else's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I think he probably does believe in it
    Why?

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    Why?

Why not? He said he does, that's enough for me. If we start being cynical of every little thing housemates say because of the cameras, where do we stop?
  • ohboyohboy Posts: 2,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    someone needs to tell danielle no one is going to force the catholic church to perform gay marriages.

kimberly tried to talk about it being a legal issue, for benefits and rights, and not just a religious debate, but danielle was too busy talking about her church to listen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    Why not?
    That's answering (somebody else's) question with a question. How rude.
    He said he does, that's enough for me.
    I admire your trusting nature. I don't think we can know really can we. I just wondered why Addisonian thinks Marlon probably does believe in same sex marriage.

ohboy wrote: »
    kimberly tried to talk about it being a legal issue, for benefits and rights, and not just a religious debate, but danielle was too busy talking about her church to listen.
    Innit just.
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    I will believe him because i feel he could have stayed quite like others did if he did not believe in same sex marriage but instead he chose to speak up. I will be a little controversial here and say i think some on here are only doubting him because of preconceived notions based on first impressions which is not fair on marlon.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if his opinion on jaffa cakes is so outlandish that he'll try and cover his mic when he voices them
  • SpiritedAwaySpiritedAway Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. Why is this even being questioned? You have no legitimate reason as to not believe that he supports same sex marriage and he hasn't said anything contradictory. So silly.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Very strange conspiracy theory.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YesNoMan wrote: »
    That's answering (somebody else's) question with a question. How rude.

Rude? Not at all. I expanded, it wasn't simply "answering a question with a question". There was, quite clearly, more to the post. If my post was simply "Why not?", with none of the rest, you might have had a point.

One could argue that responding to somebody's post with simply one word, and without highlighting why exactly you are asking the question, is rude, if you want to play that game.
  • icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    He was just responding in a way that would be acceptable to the many liberal fascists watching. You know those people who actually think it's somewhat disturbing for someone like Danielle to even think disapprovingly of same-sex marriage.
  • icestation2icestation2 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    ohboy wrote: »
    someone needs to tell danielle no one is going to force the catholic church to perform gay marriages.

You win the patronising comment of the day award. FYI, gay activists are 100% looking to legally force churches to hold same-sex marriages under equality laws. The British government under the threat of huge legal payouts will cave to the liberal fascists.

What you didn't know this?
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    You win the patronising comment of the day award. FYI, gay activists are 100% looking to legally force churches to hold same-sex marriages under equality laws. The British government under the threat of huge legal payouts will cave to the liberal fascists.

What you didn't know this?

Do you have any proof?
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely. In regards to his awareness at least. He even mentioned how it might look to the people watching.

I'd like to add that it doesn't mean that somebody is homophobic because they don't believe in same sex marriage. Quite a few gay people also don't agree with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I agree I am in favour of Gay Marriage (being gay myself), But will not tolerate others telling people they must prescribe to that opinion. There is always room for debate and discussion that is if we do live in a true democracy ;-).

It put me off Marlon and Kimberly a bit whilst respecting Danielle more. I may disagree with her but she explained and defended her position without storming off or crapping over anyone else's.

I agree with you. I think that Danielle explained her thought process well and made it clear that she wasn't homophobic. I understood what she was saying, that it was a rule she had to respect according to the Catholic church. It's not the same thing as saying that you must hate gay people. I think any homophobic views one possesses are entirely dependent on who that individual is.

I myself believe that people should be able to marry each other if they love them whether they are the same sex or not. However I haven't subscribed to a set of rules set by an organised religion.

As you say I think we have to be careful that if we believe in a society which allows diverse opinions and believes in the rights of people to express their individual point of view, that we actually defend that right and don't condemn somebody for expressing an opinion contrary to our own. Otherwise we actually end up enforcing our own thought processes onto people, which would be the opposite of what we say we stand for.

For Marlon and Kimberly to walk away like that felt like they were implying that Danielle was being homophobic. Quite possibly a calculated move in mind of the public watching the show.
    If they took issue with Danielle's views then if they can't engage in reasoned discussion they look childish by just walking away in the way that they did as though they were making a point.
    However I suppose I could cut Kimberly some slack if she just walked off because she didn't feel that Danielle was listening to her. Which would be a different reason than Marlon.
  • yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was just responding in a way that would be acceptable to the many liberal fascists watching. You know those people who actually think it's somewhat disturbing for someone like Danielle to even think disapprovingly of same-sex marriage.

For you to state his mind set while voicing an opinion, you must know him very well. Just curious how do you come to know him?
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

So he's fake then :confused:

It would be nice if Danielle and Marlon then gave their actual opinion rather than hiding behind an institution :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So he's fake then :confused:

It would be nice if Danielle and Marlon then gave their actual opinion rather than hiding behind an institution :cool:

She did.
  • EchoFallsEchoFalls Posts: 3,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liberal fascists

They make my blood boil.