Options

Pointless or The Chase - but which is better? - there's only way to find out..

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
THREAD!

Simply put, it's teatime and you want to watch a quiz, which button do you press, 1 or 3?

I push 3, for The Chase, Pointless not a bad show but really like the fast paced pace of The Chase.

Comments

• Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same for me. The amount of questions is what makes a good quiz show.

Pointless is decent, but can get a little boring at times. I'm even warming to Two Tribes more than Pointless now.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Pointless got 3.2million viewers yesterday. The Chase got 2.2m.

So it seems like viewers prefer Pointless and think it is better.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends who's in the house at the time. If I'm on my own I'll usually watch Pointless, but if anyone else is here they'll usually put The Chase on.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Pointless got 3.2million viewers yesterday. The Chase got 2.2m.

So it seems like viewers prefer Pointless and think it is better.

A lot of people didn't know The Chase had started again, so hardly a fair comparison. Also, The Chase consistently beats Pointless in the ratings usually.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    A lot of people didn't know The Chase had started again, so hardly a fair comparison. Also, The Chase consistently beats Pointless in the ratings usually.
    Actually Pointless beats The Chase more often than not. About 75pct of the time I'd say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would usually choose The Chase. As others have said, it has far more questions.

But actually I prefer the format of Pointless, and if it had less waffle and more actual gameplay I would choose it over The Chase every time.
  • Options
    kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely prefer The Chase. It's faster paced, there's more questions and there's less time spent chatting with the contestants. I also really like Bradley and all four Chasers.

Pointless is an interesting format, and I like Richard and Xander, but it would be better as a 30 minute show.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been lucky enough to be on both and both were wonderful experiences but as a viewer I take Pointless

Loving Two Tribes too, so many questions. 11 in 60 seconds whilst The 21st Question manages 21 in 60 minutes
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always Pointless. I think I've only watched The Chase a couple of times - I can't really take it seriously, it seems so staged with the Chasers and everything.
  • Options
    izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless, hands down.
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I prefer The Chase, but I do watch Pointless on iPlayer when I can.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like them both and record both or watch them on catch up. I think we should be grateful that we have these two great quiz shows when so many other quiz shows are so bad.
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    The Chase, always.

I've a complete blind spot when it comes to Pointless, I'm afraid. It's OK, but does nothing for me.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer The Chase,because there's not so much boring chat about the contestants past lives,which often lasts for five minutes or more before the actual quiz starts.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chase every time. Just got so fed up with Alex Armstrong's "If you won the money, what would you spend it on?" "You didn't get a Pointless answer so you haven't won todays jackpot of ....." He needs a new script.

Bradley Walsh is a born compere - he's funny, laughs at himself, and has a good fast-running show. Just add up the number of questions he asks in a show - it out numbers every other quiz show on TV.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless was great when it started, a genuinely new kind of quiz show. They've tinkered a bit with the format to keep it fresh but it seems like every time I decide to watch it, they're showing a repeat, so it feels stale.

The Chase looks cheap and cheerful but still has that feeling of being new and original, the way Pointless used to. And I've somehow never seen a repeat.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless every time for me.

The chase always comes across as too cold and it is all about the money, whereas Pouintless seems to be more about doing it for the fun of it and winning the money is secondary.
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watch The Chase, but flip over to Pointless in the advert breaks.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    izanami wrote: »
    Pointless, hands down.

Me too, great at the minute as it's Pointless, Two Tirbes and Egg Heads back to back.
    Can't believe that a 2 year old repeat of Pointless still pulls in more viewers than The Chase

New Pointless series back from Monday 8th I understand.
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to watch Pointless, followed by The Chase on +1. Two Tribes has complicated it, so now we have to record The Chase.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless :)
  • Options
    ArtemsGirlArtemsGirl Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    The Chase def Pointless has too much repetition
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Chase.:)
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless, purely because the format of the list-based questions is more interesting than The Chase's standard Q+A ones.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Chase got 4.4m on Saturday while Pointless got 3m so you can see the most popular.

If Samuel can dish out complete spinned rubbish then so can I.