Options

So who won't be doing anything on NYE?

1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
Forum Member
✭✭✭
NYE is the one night of the year where you're almost forced by society to go out get drunk and welcome in the new year and if you don't well you're just sad.

May be I'm just getting old but tonight I am almost tempted to have an early night, the thought of getting up tomorrow hungover doesn't appeal to me at all. Would much rather get up with a clear head.

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. I am at work at 6am tomorrow, so will be in bed before midnight
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,648
    Forum Member
    I'll be doing my usual of staying up til 12.01, might have small tipple
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nup, Agoraphobic so I have isolated myself from all my friends, my Mum is really, really ill in hospital, my beautiful canine companion has recently been put to sleep, 22 year old cats just gone blind and is on her way out and my Grandma is in respite after breaking her hip three weeks ago!
    On the plus side, I have wine and Zopiclone.

Regardless of my shit................. I sincerely wish you all a happy new year.

Sorry for the buzzkill.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    No-one is forced to go out on NYE if they don't want to. I don't like being jostled by drunk people at the best of times, and I'm not good in crowds. I do like the tradition of staying up to see in the New Year though.

I shall be spending the evening with a few friends, sitting round the fire with a bottle or two of wine, and we will watch the fireworks at midnight through the window.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    apart from watching jools holland on tv, am doing nothing for new years
    R82n8 wrote: »
    Nup, Agoraphobic so I have isolated myself from all my friends, my Mum is really, really ill in hospital, my beautiful canine companion has recently been put to sleep, 22 year old cats just gone blind and is on her way out and my Grandma is in respite after breaking her hip three weeks ago!
    On the plus side, I have wine and Zopiclone.

Regardless of my shit................. I sincerely wish you all a happy new year.

Sorry for the buzzkill.

sorry to hear that, hope 2015 is better for you and your family
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NYE is the one night of the year where you're almost forced by society to go out get drunk and welcome in the new year and if you don't well you're just sad.

"Society" has never forced me to do anything I didn't want to do.

Anyway, as I said in the other NYE thread, I'll be doing the same as i have done for the past 20-plus years - indoors on my own watching TV. I may well go out on the balcony at midnight to watch the fireworks, but it depends if it's too cold.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate pubs on NYE. Packed to the gunwhales with once-a-year drinkers, ghastly drunks who think the start of a new year gives them licence to snog and grope virtual strangers, the exorbitant price of a taxi home - meh.

We're staying in and cooking beef wellington and panna cotta with raspberries and having a bottle or two of something lovely. We'll watch the fireworks from the window and then toddle off to bed.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won't be doing anything, I love Christmas and go all out but I've never been a fan of new year's celebrations. I don't drink and being slobbered on by a bunch of dunk people has never held much appeal for me. My kids are going out and my husband goes out every second year as I don't like my dislike of it to stop him enjoying himself so I'll probably cuddle up with the cat and watch a film.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

May be I'm just getting old but tonight I am almost tempted to have an early night, the thought of getting up tomorrow hungover doesn't appeal to me at all. Would much rather get up with a clear head.

I think it's a myth that society thinks it's sad to stay in on NYE.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just me and my dad at home neither of us drink so it will just be a quiet night at home as always. I hate the bells and prefer Christmas. Tv isn't too bad though tonight.

Hope you all have a Happy New Year in 2015.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me. I might decide to stay up an hour later than normal (11pm) since I'm not at work tomorrow but otherwise same as normal. Finish off a bottle of wine (my last then until at least February).
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,310
    Forum Member
    Off to the neighbours for a BBQ. Really couldn't be bothered going into the CBD this year.
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will probably be asleep tbh! If not, will watch the fireworks on tv - no drinks, nothing special. :)
  • Options
    hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    I hate NYE
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One last bottle of wine for me too before I go on the wagon for a couple of months. I will snuggle up with my little dog and watch a film. Will probably be too tired to stay up until midnight, and so will send my Happy New Year wishes in the morning.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I hate the new year, it's just another date on the calender as far as I'm concerned and could never see what the fuss was about.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't be arsed about Hogmanay any more, so just go to bed normal time. And I don't bother with all this "first-foot" and "must have a drink at New Year" crap either.

To me, it's a time to avoid drunken louts who go out to get rat-arsed and fight anyone they can - and fill up our A&E departments unnecessarily.
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to be up at 3am to go to work. And the company has a strict no alcohol policy.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only dead people, I'd guess.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I'm gonna be able to avoid going out. I will be the worst in the world with my friends if I don't.

Frankly, I would rather stay in with a few bottles of decent beer, a fire and Jools Holland on the telly.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apart from watching jools holland on tv, am doing nothing for new years

sorry to hear that, hope 2015 is better for you and your family

Thanks. :)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno yet. Every year I PLAN to just stay in, and last year was the first time I actually managed it. Something usually comes up.

So... I'm planning to play video games and drink gin, but I may fail and end up going out and having fun somewhere else.
  • Options
    1manonthebog1manonthebog Posts: 3,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the new year, it's just another date on the calender as far as I'm concerned and could never see what the fuss was about.

Same, if anything it marks the end of the Christmas season and back to work, hardly something to be celebrating really.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I don't know. It usually marks the latest sunrise of the year so from now on it's going to be getting lighter at both ends of the day. For those of us that have to stand on a station platform at 7am that's worth celebrating :)
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People moaning about NYE are now as common as people getting drunk on it.