Options

Myleen Klass, blasts bonkers birthday demand for child.

benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Myleen Klass blasts "bonkers birthday demands.

Haha, this made me laugh.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/feb/05/myleene-klass-birthday-gift-present-daughter-school-kindle

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your link is different to the topic
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    And that birthday stuff was year ago, why she bring it up now? For attention of course!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Myleen Klass really is trying ever so hard to set herself up as "common-sense mum" isn't she?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your link is different to the topic

Thanks, think I've sorted it.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Myleen Klass really is trying ever so hard to set herself up as "common-sense mum" isn't she?

Except common sense mum would give the ten quid rather than think of a present, purchase said present which likely to be more than £10, buy card and paper and wrap stupidly packaged present. Paying the money is getting off lightly and the better option imo.

Plus it says in the mail the mothers confronted her and she said if they wanted to talk about it to do so in private. Pot calling the kettle, she's the one that put it on the Internet a year later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She definitely has a point. The birthday minefield is getting ridiculous.

I think if I have kids, I will do what my parents did and have no presents, no parties (except 1, 13, 16 and 18 as they are milestones). Just a card and a "happy birthday".
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Is she trying to be some sort of prettier and less horrible version of Katie Hopkins?
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She definitely has a point. The birthday minefield is getting ridiculous.

I think if I have kids, I will do what my parents did and have no presents, no parties (except 1, 13, 16 and 18 as they are milestones). Just a card and a "happy birthday".
    :o ok I don't like kids...but no presents or party's except 1-13-16-18?? Come on! That's harsh.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The amount of cheap and nasty presents my kids have had when compared to the expense and thought we put into those of their peers makes me sometimes wish we'd just have been given the money. For example, my wife asked my son's friend's mum what he might want for his birthday, and it was "Ooh, I know he really wants this Lego set - £15" and when it was my son's turn, he got a cheap £5 Lego knock-off by way of return.

This wouldn't normally bother me, because I know not everybody has the same level of income, but my wife's generosity gets taken advantage of and is added to the fact that they know we have money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    :o ok I don't like kids...but no presents or party's except 1-13-16-18?? Come on! That's harsh.

It was good enough for me and my brothers, so it will be good enough for my kids

It will enable me to spend a little more on them at Christmas having saved the money that would have been spent on birthdays
  • Options
    TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good enough for me and my brothers, so it will be good enough for my kids

It will enable me to spend a little more on them at Christmas having saved the money that would have been spent on birthdays
    :o:o:o:o ......................................................... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The amount of cheap and nasty presents my kids have had when compared to the expense and thought we put into those of their peers makes me sometimes wish we'd just have been given the money. For example, my wife asked my son's friend's mum what he might want for his birthday, and it was "Ooh, I know he really wants this Lego set - £15" and when it was my son's turn, he got a cheap £5 Lego knock-off by way of return.

This wouldn't normally bother me, because I know not everybody has the same level of income, but my wife's generosity gets taken advantage of and is added to the fact that they know we have money.

I agree, which is why I almost always give money. The parents/child can buy what they want or need. However that is my choice,I would be a bit annoyed if I was asked to give money. Kids like choosing " rubbish gifts " for their friends tho. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suddenly feel weary of these tiresome rentagobs. It is not terribly polite to ask for people to give your children money - it is surely politer to wait until someone says they want to give a present and asks what would be welcome. But it is far ruder to have a big pubic flounce about it, relying on your celebrity status to ridicule them.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    it's one thing to ask what the child might like and be told "Oh, she's saving up for a Kindle" - you can then choose to gift money or not. Asking outright is a bit cheeky.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    I think it's grasping and greedy to ask for donations, what's wrong with a colouring book and crayons or some sparkly hair bobbles? If your kid wants an expensive gift, buy it yourself.

Myleene Klass shouldn't have shared the email on Twitter though, she should have giggled about it in private with her close friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's grasping and greedy to ask for donations, what's wrong with a colouring book and crayons or some sparkly hair bobbles? If your kid wants an expensive gift, buy it yourself.

Myleene Klass shouldn't have shared the email on Twitter though, she should have giggled about it in private with her close friends.

Some of the best Christmas presents I got (and the ones that held my attention the most) were colouring books. Books of word searches and join the dots puzzles were also a favourite.

Can you still get lucky bags? I used to love them too.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Class presents"?! Where did they come from? Back in my day the only thing you got from your class on your birthday was the bumps.

So parents are supposed to give £10 ("a popular amount") for everyone in the child's class. That's over £300 per child per year. The whole world has gone nuts.
  • Options
    MallidayMalliday Posts: 3,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, she was right to expose them.

It's just a racket designed to get the child an expensive present that the parents don't have to pay for.

"My kid's told me that he wants a PS4. But that's about 300 quid. Hmmm... Wait, how many children are there in his class? 18? Okay, 300 divided by 18 is... yes!!! Dear parents, little Johnny spoiled brat would like a PS4 and I'd like you to all pay for it by stumping up £15 each. Cheers."

And we all know that any parent who doesn't pay up would be ostracized by the other parents. I mean, come on! It happens all the time! The slightest social faux pas and you're out of the club.

Let's not pretend there was really "no obligation" as the other parents claimed.

Especially for somebody like Myleene who they all know is loaded. You think they won't be b*tch*ng behind her back if she doesn't stump up? Please!

It's a racket. The real reason they're upset is that they've been exposed, so in future they'll feel reluctant to foist the cost of their kids' extravagant gifts onto other parents!

Well, too bad!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    "Class presents"?! Where did they come from? Back in my day the only thing you got from your class on your birthday was the bumps.

So parents are supposed to give £10 ("a popular amount") for everyone in the child's class. That's over £300 per child per year. The whole world has gone nuts.

I assume it is an expensive private school I remember comparing the letters I and a friend got from the schools before their summer fete. Mine (as a state school parent) suggested that people might like to donate items such as bubble bath or "even a bottle of wine!" to the raffle. Hers - private school - suggested that people might like to donate "a picnic hamper, or a case of wine" to the raffle.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My little Johnny wants Myleenes white bikini from the jungle.

If all Ds'ers could send me £1, please, will really make his Barmitzfa.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

It is a private school - I saw fees of £5000 per term quoted, so I doubt anyone is truly struggling to find the cash;-)
    Toby Young on R4 last night came out in favour of this as he has 4 kids so potentially 4x30 - 120 prezzies to find each year. Also it was pointed out that 30 cheap prezzies are just clutter whilst 1 really nice one is something to treasure.

But anyway it never happened back in my day so it shouldn't be allowed!>:(
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My little Johnny wants Myleenes white bikini from the jungle.

If all Ds'ers could send me £1, please, will really make his Barmitzfa.

Johnny has no ambition - he should ask for Myleen in her white bikini from the Jungle;-)
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I certainly agree with her exposing the ridiculous request, but to hang on to the emails for a year and bring them up now is a rather embarrassing own-goal ..
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like it is, predictably, coming back to bite her on the bum in the playground - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11394499/Myleene-Klass-confronted-by-mothers-in-school-playground-over-bithday-gift-rant.html

I like her lack of self-awareness here..
    One mother, whose daughter was the subject of the email, is said to have shouted: “Why did you do it, Myleene? Why?”
    Klass, a Classic FM presenter, shouted back: “If you’ve got a problem with it, talk to me in private.”

(Though, I must admit, I thought at first that it was a ridiculous request but then again, it probably is better for the class to get together and buy one good thing rather than twenty individual space-burglars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Malliday wrote: »
    Nah, she was right to expose them.

It's just a racket designed to get the child an expensive present that the parents don't have to pay for.

"My kid's told me that he wants a PS4. But that's about 300 quid. Hmmm... Wait, how many children are there in his class? 18? Okay, 300 divided by 18 is... yes!!! Dear parents, little Johnny spoiled brat would like a PS4 and I'd like you to all pay for it by stumping up £15 each. Cheers."

And we all know that any parent who doesn't pay up would be ostracized by the other parents. I mean, come on! It happens all the time! The slightest social faux pas and you're out of the club.

Let's not pretend there was really "no obligation" as the other parents claimed.

Especially for somebody like Myleene who they all know is loaded. You think they won't be b*tch*ng behind her back if she doesn't stump up? Please!

It's a racket. The real reason they're upset is that they've been exposed, so in future they'll feel reluctant to foist the cost of their kids' extravagant gifts onto other parents!

Well, too bad!

Looks like your comment has been proven right.
    johnny_t wrote: »
    Looks like it is, predictably, coming back to bite her on the bum in the playground - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11394499/Myleene-Klass-confronted-by-mothers-in-school-playground-over-bithday-gift-rant.html

I like her lack of self-awareness here..

(Though, I must admit, I thought at first that it was a ridiculous request but then again, it probably is better for the class to get together and buy one good thing rather than twenty individual space-burglars.

Parent who sent out the request angry that she has been exposed shocker.