Options

29 Police Officers investigating an incident abroad

SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
At a time when Police resources are being drastically cut, we have had 29 Police officers involved in a foreign case which happened some years ago.

Only now have they been reduced to 4. Is this a good use of resources ?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I was shocked to hear that there was so many, I always assumed there would be a couple, maybe three tops - even now and after all this time I think four is way too many and especially when they're in another country.

Time to close the book IMO.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole waste of resources around this case from beginning to end is absolutely unbelievable.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering the government's so keen to cut costs in so many other areas of society, it is incredible that so has been spent on this for so long, yes.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure there are other people who would have welcomed a fraction of those resources being used on their cases.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how this compares to the Ben Needham case in terms of man hours
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    should have been sidelined a long, long time ago, the people involved must have connections.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a load on duty at the Ecuadorian embassy too.

The country must be a lot better off than they make out.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    At a time when Police resources are being drastically cut, we have had 29 Police officers involved in a foreign case which happened some years ago.

Only now have they been reduced to 4. Is this a good use of resources ?

29? no way!

i mean the next thing youll be telling me the Police are wasting resources investigating DEAD people!

oh dear......
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a ridiculous amount of people but seeing as Ben Needham is the only comparable case and it happened nearly 20 years ago was it? I can't quite say it's a waste of that some people are getting special treatment as there's not much to compare it to.

Not sure you could say it's within the public interest to spend so much on one person. Unless there is an active threat against a lot of children or something but we don't even know what happened.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I presume they're not working on this full time. I mean, it's impossible for that many people to be doing Maddie related work 8/9 hours a day.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    29? no way!

i mean the next thing youll be telling me the Police are wasting resources investigating DEAD people!

oh dear......

Does an active investigation usually take the best part of ten years?
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those poor officers being repeatedly sent out to the Algarve. I'm sure they were desperate to close the case.
  • Options
    blackcat1blackcat1 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Disgraceful waste of already stretched resources and I'm afraid that four still on a case that happened in another country is four too many .
    It's also unbelievable that this hugely expensive investigation is rarely debated as discussion is usually closed down.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I'd say the same about the huge resources that are given to investigating someone having their arse goosed in a disco 40 years ago.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Those poor officers being repeatedly sent out to the Algarve. I'm sure they were desperate to close the case.

I'm quite sure that investigating the disappearance, and probably death of a small child would not be considered as a holiday.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    I presume they're not working on this full time. I mean, it's impossible for that many people to be doing Maddie related work 8/9 hours a day.

Now you've gone and done it!
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

To be honest, that's what popped into my head too - what do they all do all day? :confused:
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wouldn't have been needed if the local police hadn't made a complete hash of it at the beginning, same with Ben Needham.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

Not sure why you would presume that. It also appears that more like 37 people in all have been working on this case for some 4 years.

This is interesting;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Grange
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This wouldn't have been needed if the local police hadn't made a complete hash of it at the beginning, same with Ben Needham.

Did they really make a hash of it though?
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It also wouldn't have been needed if a child hadn't been left alone....yada yada...we know the rest!
    Whole case makes me sick so I'd better shut up if I know what's good...:D:blush:
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    this thread will soon be dead as their holinesses are very litigious...

So that's where the money went....?... ach, I said I would shut up...:blush:
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    vinba wrote: »
    It helps when all parties are open about what happened...

What on earth are you insinuating?
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The numbers should have been reduced years ago; I'd hazard a guess that the only reason they weren't was due to the 'high profile' nature of the case.

This needs to be parked now, until or if any viable new leads come to light.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there are any real leads and legitimate lines of inquiries? Apparently there have been thousands of purported sightings around the world reported, they can't follow them all up.