Options

Problems with upgraded Hard Drive in Humax FoxSat HDR

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 429
Forum Member
Part way through the year I upgraded the hard drive in my Humax FosSat HDR to a 1TB Western Digital WD10EVDS drive (Model WD10EVDS-63U8B0). I had scoured the net (including this site) and seen that this drive was suggested as one that would work without going over the power-consumption or over-heating thresholds of the box.
In the Past few months I've been setting timer recordings more frequently and noticing that some recordings are simply not happening.
Also, sometimes when I'm turning the box on from stand-by (maybe one-in-three times) it fails to detect the internal hard-drive, taking forever to boot up and then displaying an on screen message saying it was unable to detect the internal hard drive. Yet other times it boots up with no problems at all.
I've opened the box up again and checked that all the connections (both SATA and Power) are securely located in their sockets.
I'm at a loss for what else to check.

I notice on the label of the hard drive that it offers jumper pin configurations as follows:-
Jumpered pins 1&2 enables SCC (Spread Spectrum Clocking).
Jumpered pins 3&4 enables PUIS (Power Up In Standby)
Jumpered pins 5&6 enables 1.5GB PHY
None of these pins currently have a jumper across them.

I would be most greatful if any readers could suggest any ways to resolve this problem so that my box can once again be considered to be reliable. At the moment series link isnt worth a damn as some episodes get recorded and others dont.

Any ideas most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sound suspicously like a power supply fault (Maybe blown Electrolytic Capacitors). Check the drive 5V and !2V power while the disc is running and look for capacitors with a bulge on the top.

Be carefull not to touch potentially live connections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All the capacitors that I can see appear to be in perfect condition. As for the PSU, surely if that were the case then the hard-drive would be non-operational for the vast majority of the time? I will dig out my milti-meter anyway and have a look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just checked the power connections for the Hard Drive and its showing a steady 12.27 V on yellow and 4.96 on red which presumably are within acceptable norms of variance?

I notice the cooling fan isnt turning. Is it designed to only operate when the device is warm, or should it be running the whole time when operational?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 299
    Forum Member
    Widget76 wrote: »
    All the capacitors that I can see appear to be in perfect condition. As for the PSU, surely if that were the case then the hard-drive would be non-operational for the vast majority of the time? I will dig out my milti-meter anyway and have a look.

You really need a scope if you are trying to determine if the caps have gone, as a multimeter will give you the impression that the voltage is stable, when it might not be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Put the old drive back in that will give you an indication if it is the HDD going down. Ebuyer are selling a WD 1Tb for £37.99 if it is proved to be dying.