Options

Hd recording niggle..

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
Forum Member
Hi folks,

When I watch a HD recording on my foxsat HDR and I press pause the picture freezes but the sound carries on about three seconds..

When I press play again the picture resumes but with no sound for three seconds.

Its like sound and picture have different pause points but only on hd recordings,

Any thoughts on a fix for this ?

Comments

• Options
    simolasimola Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I have this issue also. Not sure why it happens though!!

FWIW I have a LG TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seems like a quirk with the box.

I quite often think I havent paused it because the sound carries on, so I press pause again and it really does carry on.
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch via a scart cable :D it doesn't happen then...
    I'm guessing its something to do with HDCP
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watch via a scart cable :D it doesn't happen then...
    I'm guessing its something to do with HDCP

Or watch ITV1-HD from Granada the lpcm soundtrack does not have the delay. My guess is it's DD related :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably to do with the dolby digital decoder decode buffer being different to the video decode buffer.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    I either time the pause at a convenient break in the programme or I jump back 15 seconds after resuming play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Seems I'm not alone then..

Just to throw a spanner in the works then :D

I have two boxes both bought at the same time but only one has the pause timing problem..

Flux capacitor problem is my guess ;):D
  • Options
    ProbablyMikeProbablyMike Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    When readinig this post yesterday I thought "I've never had the pause problem".

So to be sure tried it last night, both on a recording, and live-pause, and no problem at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When readinig this post yesterday I thought "I've never had the pause problem".

So to be sure tried it last night, both on a recording, and live-pause, and no problem at all.

Which channel did you record ?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    And how is the audio connected? Internal TV? HDMI to AV amp? Optical to AV amp?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And how is the audio connected? Internal TV? HDMI to AV amp? Optical to AV amp?

Good point, there's no delay on the analogue audio outputs.

I have a modulator feeding a kitchen TV within earshot when the doors are open. You can hear the analogue output kick in instantly :D
  • Options
    ProbablyMikeProbablyMike Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Which channel did you record ?

The recording was BBC 1 HD, and the live pause was ITV1 HD

Also did a live pause on BBC 1 HD last night and it was fine, audio stops & starts with the picture, no delay on either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recording was BBC 1 HD, and the live pause was ITV1 HD

Also did a live pause on BBC 1 HD last night and it was fine, audio stops & starts with the picture, no delay on either.

Which version of ITV1-HD and what are you using to listen to the audio ?.

You only get the delay if

1 You are replaying a recording

2 The recording has a Dolby Digital Sound track (ITV1-HD Granada does not have DD)

3 You are using an external dolby digital decoder to listen to Dolby Digital.

There is no delay if using a TV to downmix to lpcm stereo or using one of the analogue audio outputs on the hdr
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get a delay using my TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    It is really irritating. Do a pause on any HD recording and there is a delay with the sound stopping and starting. I also have an LG tv. Surely this should be fixed somehow? Is there any possibility of any more firmware upgrades? Or is there a work-a-round - I don't want to use a scart plug!