The Golden Girls (1985 - 1992)

Comments

• BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    jw2011 wrote: »
    I love the show. I bought a diamond and ruby ring owned by Rue McClanahan at an auction earlier this year.

You lucky thing. I read Rue McClanahan's autobiography, it was one of the best ones I ever read. She was a funny lady in real life too.
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a great site called MovPod where you can get some of the later episodes which are difficult to get on Region 2 DVD. I've got season 1-4 on DVD but some of the later ones have standout episodes like "The Libertine Bell" (where they go on a murder mystery weekend) and "Journey to the Centre of Attention" where Dorothy steals Blanche's thunder at The Rusty Anchor with her brilliant comedy and jazz singing.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rue's Ring is a real treasure.

I also got a box set with all 7 seasons which keeps me happy.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started on season 2 now :)
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have watched all the seasons now.......

I think Dorothy is my fave in terms of how i look forward to her responding to Blanche and Rose and then Sophia lol
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First introduced to this show in 2010 after my cousin showed me some clips on Youtube. Absolutely love what I have seen of it (mostly season 1 and 2 but also caught a rerun of the season 7 finale Dorothy's wedding whilst I was in Florida this year :cry:). So sad that 3 of them have gone in real life. Absolutely adore Betty White too. They actually all seemed like genuinely likeable ladies, as the characters they played and also the actresses in real life.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darakinss wrote: »
    First introduced to this show in 2010 after my cousin showed me some clips on Youtube./QUOTE]

How funny, I know you're not my cousin but I got my cousin into the show in 2010... by watching clips on youtube. She then went on to get Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD haha.
  • jobbie8jobbie8 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love the Golden Girls, have the dvds but watched them all on Channel 4 back in the day. When I went to Disney MGM studios in 1989 I saw the house, it was just a empty shell used for the outside shots, have a photo of it somewhere.

I also watch Hot In Cleveland on Sony TV, used to be on SkyLiving, its very similar to GGs, Betty White plays the "sophia" character"
  • darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jw2011 wrote: »
    darakinss wrote: »
    First introduced to this show in 2010 after my cousin showed me some clips on Youtube.

How funny, I know you're not my cousin but I got my cousin into the show in 2010... by watching clips on youtube. She then went on to get Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD haha.

Haha, well :D I am hoping to get all the seasons on DVD, but close enough!
  • bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.goldengirlscentral.com/

just in case any of you are interested.:)

Wonderful show.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Dorothy's sarcasm the most
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Golden Girls first time round, I was at school at the start. I remember A docu I saw in the US where the the girls talked about the hit the show was.

They all agreed that they got passed the sensors more than most shows at that time and could be more risque - simply because they were older women.

I still watch repeats amd have real laugh out moments.

One I can think of off the top of my head - Blanche and Dorothy in kitchen while its pouring rain outside. Blanche looks out the window and says-
    'I do so love the rain, It reminds me of my first kiss'

Dorothy gives a sweet smile and says 'Aw your first kiss was in the rain. How romantic'

Blanche replies 'No, it was in the shower' :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallmark showed their Christmas movies for more than a month, but Golden Girls are back now in case any of you get Hallmark over there.
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I have seasons 1-4 on DVD but for some reason can't get seasons 5 onwards. Anyone know where I can and not at inflated prices?
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Used to love the Sunday morning repeats on Living it's not been shown now for a number of years time for a new run maybe on Sony or Comedy Central.
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Used to love the Sunday morning repeats on Living it's not been shown now for a number of years time for a new run maybe on Sony or Comedy Central.

Coming Soon to TLC.

SITCOM: Golden Girls
    On: TLC HD (125)
    Date: Thursday 2nd May 2013 (starting in 13 days)
    Time: 10:00 to 10:30 (30 minutes long)

The Engagement. Series 1, episode 1.
    Four single middle-aged women share a house in Miami Beach, Florida. Featuring witty Dorothy, man-hunting Blanche, spaced-out Rose and Dorothy's out¬spoken mother, Sophia.
    (1985)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    Coming Soon to TLC.

SITCOM: Golden Girls
    On: TLC HD (125)
    Date: Thursday 2nd May 2013 (starting in 13 days)
    Time: 10:00 to 10:30 (30 minutes long)

The Engagement. Series 1, episode 1.
    Four single middle-aged women share a house in Miami Beach, Florida. Featuring witty Dorothy, man-hunting Blanche, spaced-out Rose and Dorothy's out¬spoken mother, Sophia.
    (1985)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=25307

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

I don't think we get this channel in UK certainly not on Virgin media.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    I have seasons 1-4 on DVD but for some reason can't get seasons 5 onwards. Anyone know where I can and not at inflated prices?

To my knowledge they weren't released in the Uk, but I bought Region 1 to complete my collection, would love the Golden Palace to be released also
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I don't think we get this channel in UK certainly not on Virgin media.

I don't know about Virgin Media, but it launches on Sky at the end of April.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am going to buy the later region 1 box sets to complete the lot. I never realised before, but my player is unlocked and will play region 1. They are all under the price threshold to avoid import duty as well.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love the Golden Girls, in the middle of a rewatch at the moment. Just passed the episode where Dorothy and Sophia dress up as Sonny & Cher.

Another option to get series 5-7 on DVD is to order from Germany which has an English soundtrack option - I ordered from Amazon Germany where you can use your standard UK login if you have one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    I don't know about Virgin Media, but it launches on Sky at the end of April.

Apparently it launches on Virgin on channel 167 which is good news however already S4C on 167 so must be a shuffle going on next week.
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing show. So sweet. To put you in a good mood :)
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose is my #1, I love her innocence...
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Very good show. I recently watched it again on Veetle. Those were the days and not like the comedy shows today, so boring and not funny.