Options

Predicted Problems with Next Gen Consoles?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4,000 people not 400 have one from Taco Bell already my mistake.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Yeah, but as these problems have demonstrated it may not be the way the console handles heat that could be the problem.

There may not be a problem with heat but there appears to be a design build issue(s) with the ports.

There are alot of unknowns in regards to how the system will perform on a day to day basis.

To counter the heat issue both MS and Sony have opted to put the game on the HDD which removes the need to deal with the heat generated from the disc drive system but it looks like only MS have bothered to really spend big in terms of the build quality other wise why is anyone having a problem with the ports so early?

I am not ragging on Sony, I am getting both on release.

Lets be fair in that maybe Sony are just catching a bad break with the number of inital failures which may be linked to the same batch?

For all we know the Xbone will have the same if not more issues when that is released.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    There may not be a problem with heat but there appears to be a design build issue(s) with the ports.

There are alot of unknowns in regards to how the system will perform on a day to day basis.

To counter the heat issue both MS and Sony have opted to put the game on the HDD which removes the need to deal with the heat generated from the disc drive system but it looks like only MS have bothered to really spend big in terms of the build quality other wise why is anyone having a problem with the ports so early?

I am not ragging on Sony, I am getting both on release.

Lets be fair in that maybe Sony are just catching a bad break with the number of inital failures which may be linked to the same batch?

For all we know the Xbone will have the same if not more issues when that is released.

BIB. HDMI is a standard though, more likely to be a worker who decided not to do their job properly or possibly damaged in transport?
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meanwhile, over on Wii U

its a me...Mario:)

a merry christmas

wooo hoooo
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With all the massive hype over the PS4, could the XB1 turn into the more reliable and slick/smooth running home media system? time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    With all the massive hype over the PS4, could the XB1 turn into the more reliable and slick/smooth running home media system? time will tell.

Hope not because I want to annoy the X1 mob on here:p:D:D:D
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    BIB. HDMI is a standard though, more likely to be a worker who decided not to do their job properly or possibly damaged in transport?

Damaged in transport is certainly a possiblility it would explain problems recieved with the magazine review copies and copies recieved through taco bell, as quite likely early copies were in the same transport batch/cargo container.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope not because I want to annoy the X1 mob on here:p:D:D:D

Equally, I'm sort of hoping the PS4 is riddled with problems. After all the abuse people who are buying the XBO have received over the last few months (I've ever seen death threats on a regular basis!) it would be extremely funny for a bump PS4 launch and a smooth XBO launch.

Perhaps I'm mean :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Equally, I'm sort of hoping the PS4 is riddled with problems. After all the abuse people who are buying the XBO have received over the last few months (I've ever seen death threats on a regular basis!) it would be extremely funny for a bump PS4 launch and a smooth XBO launch.

If you are right, I will hunt you down and shank you blud!:mad:

:D
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    3%?

PS3's failure rate was around 10%
    Xbox 360's failure rate was around 33%

Be glad we've got two weeks between the US and UK launch - they'll likely be a patch and we might not see the issues that have been reported.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Damaged in transport is certainly a possiblility it would explain problems recieved with the magazine review copies and copies recieved through taco bell, as quite likely early copies were in the same transport batch/cargo container.

Problems are supposedly around downloading - this would eliminate physical damage via shipping from the equation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brb wrote: »

I would have to agree, MS have had so much stick and abuse over the Xbone that it has become unfunny while Sony have come out of it looking like heros.
    it would be so ironic if the Xbone launch goes off without a hitch while Sony may be looking at a huge re-call over dodgy HDMI ports.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the fear and fear mongering in this thread and on the internet in general

We have seen, if the neogaf thread can be trusted, that there are 8 faulty units, there are about 4000 winners of the taco bell contest, there will be hundreds in the possession of review companies, there will be hundreds if not thousands set up in retail stores around the globe for people to play on before they make their purchase

The numbers add up when you consider how many are actually in the wild and so far we are seeing just 8 defective units and i'm pretty sure one of the people unplugged theirs while downloading something, so they probably broke it themselves and a few others are problems with the HDMI jack

To put this into perspective there is only one major console that has had such a massive failure rate that the company had to extend the warranty by three years and spend over a billion dollars replacing consoles, only the one console in the entire history of videogames and i'll give you a clue, its wasn't a sony product
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can some people not bare to se their beloved sony bashed?
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Can some people not bare to se their beloved sony bashed?

Ahh. So that explains the bitchy comments over on the Jimmy Fallon/PS4 thread. :p
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nah they weren't bitchy how were they?

I like gaming what i don't like is fanboys, I'll equally give my criticisms or give my appreciation of all consoles.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this is why day one hardware is always a gamble ;)
  • Options
    redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member
    Dan27 wrote: »
    Problems are supposedly around downloading - this would eliminate physical damage via shipping from the equation.

Except that most of the problems are with the display and disappear when you lean on the console.
  • Options
    cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why they have warranty, yes you have to wait but it should hopefully get sorted next year (if your lucky) :o

Just have confidence that your console won't break, think positive.
  • Options
    wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The PS3 has a failure rate of 10% whilst the 360 had a failure rate of 23%+ as of 2013 - the 360 would be more for the original 360.

Did people really think that new hardware would launch without some consoles failing. Hopefully it is more software related than hardware.

This is the same everytime Apple or another manufacture brings out a new phone and x amount of % have a bricked phone or there is hardware/software issues.

In any case Sony are looking into it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    When I first saw the PS4 I was surprised how small it was and I did wonder about airflow/heat issues. I know cpu/gpus probably run a lot cooler now but still....people were criticising the xbox one's larger size but I thought it was a sensible move in terms of keeping heat and noise down (doesn't the xbox have a big ass fan in it?). Of course there are other things that affect reliability like poor design and crappy materials but you would hope they've learnt from their past mistakes.

The thing that worries me is the PSU is inside the console.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hardware-test-playstation-4
    the power supply is integrated into the box, and the cooling assembly looks considerably less substantial than its Xbox One equivalent, with a patently smaller fan. Bearing in mind the more powerful GPU and the more demanding GDDR5 RAM, Microsoft's contention is that all of these factors will make the PS4 much hotter and louder than its alternative.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statement from Sony -

"A handful of people have reported issues with their PlayStation 4 systems. This is within our expectations for a new product introduction, and the vast majority of PS4 feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. We are closely monitoring for additional reports, but we think these are isolated incidents and are on track for a great launch.

There have been several problems reported, which leads us to believe there isn’t a singular problem that could impact a broader percentage of systems. The number of affected systems represents less than .04% of shipped units to date, which is within our expectations for a new product introduction."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont get me wrong, im shelling out £429 on a PS4 gamer pack and as much as im looking fowad to it, both systems seem to be getting a lot of flak...

all the "Wii U dosent stand a chance when the next gen comes out" comments seem a bit pie in the sky now

Wii U has had a tough year, but the games are coming and the Wind Waker was outstanding

so, is it really just a 2 horse race

good luck Sony with the USA launch tomorrow
  • Options
    2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    meanwhile, over on Wii U

its a me...Mario:)

a merry christmas

wooo hoooo

LOL yes, if for whatever reason things don't work out with X1, though hardware problems or disappointing games then I'll be coming back to Nintendo, no question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL yes, if for whatever reason things don't work out with X1, though hardware problems or disappointing games then I'll be coming back to Nintendo, no question.

the U is great, now the games are coming, mind you Nintendo is always a secondry console next to MS/Sony

my lads more hyped over the new 3DS Zelda than the PS4...