Options

British Soap Stars Question

Kyliefan001Kyliefan001 Posts: 200
Forum Member
Unlike their US and Aussie counterparts British soap stars rarely have international success. Any opinions why?

Comments

• Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon Davy Jones did OK - he was Ena Sharples' godson in Corrie and went on to join the Monkees!

And Anna Friel hasn't done too badly either
  • Options
    Mint-OpinionMint-Opinion Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ioan Gruffud and Sir Ben Kingsley both started off with long stints on soaps.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll add Jude Law, started in a soap.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unlike their US and Aussie counterparts British soap stars rarely have international success. Any opinions why?

People from Britain like Ricky whittle and rob kazinsky left their respective soaps before they were in danger of being typecast.

Same with Michelle keegan.

The problem with many British soap stars is they stay too long in the soap.

Aussie soap stars usually do a 3 year stint before cracking the USA so it's not too long and they avoid being typecast.
  • Options
    cahcah Posts: 24,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah Lancashire and Katherine Kelly have done quite well since leaving Coro
  • Options
    Rubbish NameRubbish Name Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle Ryan was Zoe in Eastenders and went on to be the Bionic Woman. Kiera Knightley and James McAvoy were both in The Bill. And wasn't either Elijah Wood or Orlando Bloom in Casualty?
    On the whole I don't think they've done too badly!
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I seen Sean Macguire on US tv show Timeless (just last week) he was cast as Ian Flemming (yes that one)
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being a guest star in one episode is very different from being "a soap star." There is a lot of prejudice against soap stars in the UK industry.
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

How do you know? The only way to check is to list every soap actor the world over and then follow their career. I mean how many US soap stars do you know? And the other point is that the US is a totally different market, with massives of TV stations, often with local soaps, and an actor can make a very good living but still only be known and recognised locally. I mean Britain can probably fit into just California many times over.
  • Options
    viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member

^ Who are your success-story examples?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Australian TV industry is smaller than the UK so virtually every Australian Actor of note will have spent some time on a soap in their career whereas British actors have more drama alternatives.
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess the big one is Chris Hemsworth who went from "Home and Away" to become "Thor", to a lesser extent Jesse Spencer went from "Neighbours" to "House" and "Chicago Fire:

American Soap Stars it's easier because they work in the industry so they have agents and get to work with a lot of people who're on their way to bigger Hollywood Roles
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dave2702 wrote: »
    I guess the big one is Chris Hemsworth who went from "Home and Away" to become "Thor", to a lesser extent Jesse Spencer went from "Neighbours" to "House" and "Chicago Fire:

American Soap Stars it's easier because they work in the industry so they have agents and get to work with a lot of people who're on their way to bigger Hollywood Roles

Kylie and Danni Minogue, Melissa George, Margo Robbie.
  • Options
    dave2702dave2702 Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie and Danni Minogue, Melissa George, Margo Robbie.

I had to search and find out who Danni Minogue is :blush:
  • Options
    Pippa2012Pippa2012 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guy Pearse.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Pippa2012 wrote: »
    Guy Pearse.
    Yeah, Guy Pearce is surely the big Aussie soap star Hollywood success story. I still find it odd to see him in so many movies and he's seen as a leading man as well which is impressive.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    dave2702 wrote: »
    I had to search and find out who Danni Minogue is :blush:
    Shocking Dave considering she's one of that well known womaniser, Simon Cowell's conquests!!
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tszujme wrote: »
    Being a guest star in one episode is very different from being "a soap star." There is a lot of prejudice against soap stars in the UK industry.

There is a lot of prejudice in the US as well
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Margot Robbie, the Hemsworths, heath ledger, Guy Pearce to name but a few
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    cah wrote: »
    Sarah Lancashire and Katherine Kelly have done quite well since leaving Coro
    Add Joanna Froggatt to that as well.

And Rob James Collier.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

I'm going to be controversial and say that the US and Aussie soaps are better training grounds than the UK ones. It's also probably because out of the three countries we treat the status of soap operas the best and that makes people wanna stay longer.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    pfgpowell wrote: »
    How do you know?

Facts don't lie.

US stars who got their start in soaps:

Julianne Moore
    Meg Ryan
    John Stamos
    Ray Liotta
    Ryan Phillippe
    Marisa Tomei
    Demi Moore
    Parker Posey
    Kevin Bacon
    Brad Pitt
    Ricky Martin
    Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Josh Duhamel
    Michelle Trachtenberg

Aussie stars who got their start on soaps:

Isla Fisher
    Russell Crowe
    Heath Ledger
    Guy Pearce
    Kylie Minogue
    Naomi Watts
    Ryan Kwanten
    Melissa George
    Julian McMahon
    Chris Hemsworth
    Liam Hemsworth
    Margot Robbie
    Alan Dale
    Natalie Imbruglia
    Jesse Spencer

The UK just doesn't have lists like that.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    As someone said before I think it's due to the amount of time people stay in the soaps. In h&a for example apart from a few, the longest anyone stays in it is 3-4 years so they are still really young when they are done and can go into hollywood. In britain though we have a lot long-term soapstars who after they leave are too old.