Options

Baby has HIV test after milk mix-up (absolutely shocking) :mad:

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
If there's an introduction of a hefty jail sentence (and possibly capital punishment to boot), it'd be for the animals that were involved in this :mad:

A premature baby girl needed testing for HIV after a hospital twice gave her breast milk from strangers, it has been revealed
Zene Yates, born eight weeks early and weighing just 3lb, was given the wrong milk through a tube while in the neonatal ward at Lewisham Hospital in south-east London and was later sent home with bottled milk from a second stranger.

The first mistake was noticed by nurses while Zene was being fed, and her mother, Sarah Yates, discovered the second error when she was defrosting the milk.

A hospital spokesman said Zene and the other mothers had all tested negative for HIV and hepatitis.

Mrs Yates told the London Evening Standard that she feared for the health of her daughter, who is now seven months old.

"We were devastated at the thought of what diseases she could have been given. It would have been a nightmare," she said.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101223/tuk-baby-has-hiv-test-after-milk-mix-up-6323e80.html

Comments

• Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When humans are involved mistakes will always occur.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    When humans are involved mistakes will always occur.

It doesn't excuse punishment though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So now nurses who make mistakes are "animals" and should be executed? Good grief! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    If there's an introduction of a hefty jail sentence (and possibly capital punishment to boot), it'd be for the animals that were involved in this :mad:

What? :confused: Are you seriously saying that people should be executed for making a mistake?

Is there really no end to your lunacy?
  • Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your reaction is a bit OTT, hefty jail sentances and capital punishment for giving a baby the wrong bottle? An error occured, having had a premature baby in the special care unit, I doubt I would have my baby tested for HIV over it. As the hospital said, all the mothers were HIV negative. Yes, it shouldn't happen but nobody died or even became ill.
  • Options
    JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well good. as in good they decided to test her for hiv just in case. shame about the mistake
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    It is of course terrible, but honestly, it was a mistake.

Get a grip OP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    It say that, predictably, dairy donors are checked for bad AIDS before they get to lactate into the recepticle or whatever it is they do.

"Animals" comment is characteristically retarded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azagoth wrote: »
    What? :confused: Are you seriously saying that people should be executed for making a mistake?

Is there really no end to your lunacy?

He is. And it appears not. Mr :rolleyes: will need a lie down after this thread!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    as if the hospital would keep hiv milk in storage...not a very nice idea your baby having other milk but jeez it was a mistake, the whole hiv thing has been blown way out of proportion.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A premature baby girl needed testing for HIV after a hospital twice gave her breast milk from strangers, it has been revealed

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101223/tuk-baby-has-hiv-test-after-milk-mix-up-6323e80.html

Capital punishment for a mistake, ok several mistakes , which should invlove a severe talking to and ways of making sure it does not happen again, but death ?

What next a quick beheading for the postman when he puts the letter through the wrong box ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    What next a quick beheading for the postman when he puts the letter through the wrong box ?

We'd have no posties left!
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Capital punishment for a mistake, ok several mistakes , which should invlove a severe talking to and ways of making sure it does not happen again, but death ?

Perhaps behead him twice if he drops an elastic band on the doorstep?
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't excuse punishment though.

I'm sure that the issue will be dealt with internally and different procedures implemented to reduce the chances of it happening again which is the most important thing.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    A major review of the process is called for, not executions. The very idea!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another pissable case for hanging from CXC

Boring
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    So now nurses who make mistakes are "animals" and should be executed? Good grief! :rolleyes:

It just gets weirder and weirder doesn't it?.

How long before "This old granny is accused of downloading Buble's latest album, DEATH PENALTY FOR THE EVIL CRIMINAL"
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member

Animals? a bit strong, capital punishment - just stupid. The tests would have been just procedure not because the baby was at a particular risk.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so a minor mistake is blown out of all proportion?
    a call for a punishment long since outdated for a reason is made?
    aaahhh only on the internet would we give someone the time of day for these views
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long before "This old granny is accused of downloading Buble's latest album, DEATH PENALTY FOR THE EVIL CRIMINAL"
    Actually, the death penalty for Buble fans doesn't sound like such a bad idea. :p Although the old granny should get leniency for not paying for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the OP has not returned to the thread he started despite posting on others...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who thought UHT?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the OP has not returned to the thread he started despite posting on others...

I've said all I needed to, thank you.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member

Oh I see, you acknowledge your point is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't you wish to discuss the issues? You know... debate?