Steak.....

Comments

• turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »
    I just don't get the hardly cooked 'thing' - all I can taste is blood if I am given meat served rare. And blood tastes the same whether it be beef, duck or venison..........

Faddish and I will not be dictated to by so called experts who say that it HAS to be cooked this way.
    Not that long ago you could not eat undercooked meat or you would likely die from some disease it carried............

Good for you, have your food how you like it. I really don't understand though, I've never tasted blood as such, and for me rare meat tastes of meat, there's no blood there. It's cooked and rested and, well yummy.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't get the hardly cooked 'thing' - all I can taste is blood if I am given meat served rare. And blood tastes the same whether it be beef, duck or venison..........

Faddish and I will not be dictated to by so called experts who say that it HAS to be cooked this way.
    Not that long ago you could not eat undercooked meat or you would likely die from some disease it carried............

I don't really care what other people do with their steaks - it doesn't affect me, they can eat it how they want. However, there is definitely something wrong with a rare steak that tastes of blood! If it's been properly butchered and rested there shouldn't be any blood in there, it's muscle we're eating, not blood vessels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    If there's red juice on the plate then you're not resting the meat properly.

no, your wrong

the red juice is myglobin, your overcooking if there is none
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    no, your wrong

the red juice is myglobin, your overcooking if there is none

Absolute bollox. Soz bud, but you have no clue. I've eaten steak at top notch places, all cooked rare, and none have appeared with a pool of red liquid. You don't know how to cook and rest meat, that much is clear.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    ....just has to be cooked rare.

It just has to be cooked how the person likes it. Saying any differently is pure snobbery.
    Forum Member

What disease was that?
    Forum Member
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Absolute bollox. Soz bud, but you have no clue. I've eaten steak at top notch places, all cooked rare, and none have appeared with a pool of red liquid. You don't know how to cook and rest meat, that much is clear.

I agree, there should be no red liquid however your steak is cooked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just has to be cooked how the person likes it. Saying any differently is pure snobbery.

Let me help you with that:

"snobbery - the trait of condescending to those of lower social status"

How can recommending you eat your steak rare, be anything to do with social status?
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spot on.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    What disease was that?

Typhus, dysentery, e coli - basically anything that flies could leave in it whilst it was hung/slaughtered and before the days of proper cold storage.
    Not to mention parasitic infestations such as tapeworm (which is currently on the rise and attributed to the increase in sushi/sashimi consumption)

I doubt that Victorian people ever had undercooked meat............
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Typhus, dysentery, e coli - basically anything that flies could leave in it whilst it was hung/slaughtered and before the days of proper cold storage.
    Not to mention parasitic infestations such as tapeworm (which is currently on the rise and attributed to the increase in sushi/sashimi consumption)

I doubt that Victorian people ever had undercooked meat............

Blue or rare isn't undercooked, if it's how you like it
  • RedRose9191RedRose9191 Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oil and season your steak well. Heat your pan until it's red hot and cook it for about a minute on each side, depending of course on the thickness of your steak. A thick steak is best for cooking blue. Oh and very important, don't forget to rest your steak.

Only a minute?! That just sounds like heaven :) I'm hungry now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like my steak rare/medium rare depending on my mood. I'm not bothered about the cut of meat, I like them all. I nearly always have a sauce with my steak, but that's more to dip the chips in than anything
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,462
    Forum Member
    Blue or rare isn't undercooked, if it's how you like it

Blue or rare IS undercooked as the temperature and length of cooking would be insufficient to kill any lurking bacteria whereas longer cooking would.
    You need prime meat that has been kept well for blue or rare meat. Why do you think that many places ask you to sign a disclaimer if you ask for it blue?
    Forum Member
    Blue or rare IS undercooked as the temperature and length of cooking would be insufficient to kill any lurking bacteria whereas longer cooking would.
    You need prime meat that has been kept well for blue or rare meat. Why do you think that many places ask you to sign a disclaimer if you ask for it blue?

I assume you never eat salad or fruit unless it's been boiled for at least 2 hours.

What do you think of steak tartare?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ask for my steaks blue, and I've never been asked to sign a disclaimer.
    Forum Member
    Let me help you with that:

"snobbery - the trait of condescending to those of lower social status"

How can recommending you eat your steak rare, be anything to do with social status?

Oh right, so 'just has to be cooked rare' is a recommendation is it?
    Forum Member

Where are these places that ask you to sign a disclaimer?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right, so 'just has to be cooked rare' is a recommendation is it?

Some people need to lighten up. We're talking about cooking here, not making a statement on anyone's personal worth. A steak tastes better and has a better texture if it's cooked rare, IMHO.

Saying a steak just has to be cooked rare has nothing to do with a judgement on anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, there should be no red liquid however your steak is cooked.

Exactly. Though I am amused at those saying they want to try steak blue, knowing full well they will ruin the experience by not resting it properly and leaving it sitting in a pool of red liquid.:D
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Where are these places that ask you to sign a disclaimer?:confused:

Lord knows. Steak tartare is a favourite of mine and I've had it all over the world. Never been ill from it and certainly never, ever been asked to sign anything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I really want to try it rare as everyone says its better, but I just can't bring myself to do it.
    Forum Member
    I really want to try it rare as everyone says its better, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

My first experience of it was an accident. I ordered it medium and Smudges Mum ordered it well done. They came rare and medium rare but by the time we realised we'd started eating and they were bloomin' lovely.:) Neither of us has gone back to anything near well done
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,659
    Forum Member
    Just as important as the resting time (which is crucial for the meat to relax and become meltingly tender) is ensuring that the meat is at room temperature before you start to cook it. No straight from the fridge and into the pan. Room temperature meat (rump for preference) lightly oiled and seasoned onto a smoking hot cast iron grll pan for 1.5-2 mins per side. Rest on a warm plate for 5 mins while I prep the salad.

The ultimate fast food.
  • CherumanCheruman Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just as important as the resting time (which is crucial for the meat to relax and become meltingly tender) is ensuring that the meat is at room temperature before you start to cook it. No straight from the fridge and into the pan. Room temperature meat (rump for preference) lightly oiled and seasoned onto a smoking hot cast iron grll pan for 1.5-2 mins per side. Rest on a warm plate for 5 mins while I prep the salad.

The ultimate fast food.

Mmmm:)