Graham Norton Show Series 16 begins 26 September 2014

Comments

• summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Jennifer Aniston, not keen on Olly but it was embarrassing watching him sit like a spare part!!
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overloaded with guests show, Anniston and the American actors there to push their movie, and doing not much else. Presumably they had to squeeze them in
    Should have stuck with Judi Denchm, Hoffman, and Olly Murs - would have beeen a good trio
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overloaded with guests show, Anniston and the American actors there to push their movie, and doing not much else.
    To be fair that's why most people go on chat shows, to sell something to the general public. But I thought they were both funny, thought Olly being there was a bit pointless as he didn't really add anything being there imo. I think 3 guests is enough, I don't like it when it's overcrowded.

Also wish Graham would give the people in the big red chair enough time to tell their stories, so annoying when he flips them as soon as they speak.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I think there's just too many pre-prepared anecdotes nowadays , it was much better when the conversations went 'off-script' and you didn't know where it was gonna go . I mean most of the time Graham prompts them and then says "and off you go ..." and they recite some story they've told a load of times .
    That's something that irks me about these shows. Norton tends to do it a lot.

Norton: Tell us about that strange thing that happened
    Guest (looking confused): Oh, that thing......well......

Yep, that thing that the researchers and your agent planned for Norton to ask about and you to trot out your 'funny' anectdote.
    Forum Member
    Overloaded with guests show, Anniston and the American actors there to push their movie, and doing not much else. Presumably they had to squeeze them in
    Should have stuck with Judi Denchm, Hoffman, and Olly Murs - would have beeen a good trio
    Woodbine wrote: »
    To be fair that's why most people go on chat shows, to sell something to the general public. But I thought they were both funny, thought Olly being there was a bit pointless as he didn't really add anything being there imo. I think 3 guests is enough, I don't like it when it's overcrowded.

Also wish Graham would give the people in the big red chair enough time to tell their stories, so annoying when he flips them as soon as they speak.
    It generally ruins the show when they have over 3 guests on the show. Murs didn't add much so could have been dumped to the singing only.

Not sure why Dench and Hoffman came on half way through.

Probably because of the amount of guests is why his opening monologue was short and got rid of the red chair people without giving them a chance.
  • playa1playa1 Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    That's something that irks me about these shows. Norton tends to do it a lot.

Norton: Tell us about that strange thing that happened
    Guest (looking confused): Oh, that thing......well......

Yep, that thing that the researchers and your agent planned for Norton to ask about and you to trot out your 'funny' anectdote.

Yes I hate that too. There was a slightly awkward moment between Graham and Ollie when he said that Ollie, or his 'people', had supplied the photos of him with his bare arse.

Really wish they would have spoken to Jason about Arrested Development a bit more though.
  • Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy Graham Norton interviewing, he's my fave
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always loved Jennifer Aniston. I imagine for anyone on the cast of friends it must be annoying to ALWAYS be asked about it. She was very warm throughout.

Did not get why Olly Murs was on the sofa. I think bringing out Judi / Dustin straight away with Jennifer / Jason would have been much better and Olly just sing at the end.
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy Graham Norton interviewing, he's my fave

Agree, he really is amazing and should have won an award last year instead of that obnoxious James Corden. >:(
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »

The only person who I recall wasn't selling something was Thierry Henry

Great variety of guests last night. Jennifer had clearly never heard of "Ally Murs"
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Great variety of guests last night. Jennifer had clearly never heard of "Ally Murs"

Thats not true. Thierry WAS selling something.............he was selling (or shall we say promoting) "himself" as he had appeared on Match Of The Day just weeks earlier as a guest pundit and he is clearly being earmarked for a major role with the BBC when he finishes his playing career in America. If your selling a film or selling yourself to raise your profile - its all the same.

No one goes on there for a cosy chat about themselves.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

To be fair I hear lots of times about the American guests "never" having heard of the British guests on the show. Well, its exactly the same on even the biggest US chat shows. Watch a months worth of any of them and 90% are "minor" US singers or US tv stars that would hardly be known here. Its a common mistake to think that the US chat shows have Brad Pitt and George Clooney on every week. They dont. It works both ways.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Always loved Jennifer Aniston. I imagine for anyone on the cast of friends it must be annoying to ALWAYS be asked about it. She was very warm throughout.

Did not get why Olly Murs was on the sofa. I think bringing out Judi / Dustin straight away with Jennifer / Jason would have been much better and Olly just sing at the end.

I'd assumed Judi and Dustin were otherwise engaged at a premiere
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Current upcoming guest list for The Graham Norton Show until the End of the year:
    Tonight: Jennifer Aniston, Jason Bateman, Judi Dench, Dustin Hoffman and Olly murs (taped last week)
    November 28: Nicole Kidman, Julie Walters, hugh bonneville and Take That (taping next week)
    December 5: Michael Keaton, Jamie Oliver, ?, and One Direction
    December 12: Jim Carrey, Jude Law, Tamsin Greig and Nicole Scherzinger (taped yesterday)
    December 19: Ben Stiller, Ricky Gervais, Rebel Wilson and Usher.

Does anybody know what the rest of the schedule for series 16 looks like? Some tvsites say 13 episodes which mean that it may end at the end of the year, but the official site says 22 episodes.
    After this week's taping , there are 4 tape dates left in 2014 but 3 confirmed shows up to now and the first 2015 show is taping on 15 January according to SROAudiences. The episode on 19 December is dubbed "bumper episode", so i'm wondering if that is the Xmas episode.

My current thought is that the "bumper episode" will be the Xmas episode then we'll get a "Best of 2014" show for New Year's and a pre taped episode for the First 2015 episode

Looks like my prediction may be true as DS have confirmed that the episode on the 19th is the Xmas episode and that along with the cast from Night at The Museum, there will be Cameron Diaz, Jamie Foxx and Danny Dyer.

My guess is that they will follow the same pattern as last year and have three groups in this extra long episode One third will be Ben, Ricky and Rebel, another will be Cameron, Jamie and Danny and then I imagine a third group will be announced soon which may or may not include Usher (although he will be singing) .
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    To be fair I hear lots of times about the American guests "never" having heard of the British guests on the show. Well, its exactly the same on even the biggest US chat shows. Watch a months worth of any of them and 90% are "minor" US singers or US tv stars that would hardly be known here. Its a common mistake to think that the US chat shows have Brad Pitt and George Clooney on every week. They dont. It works both ways.
    Murs mentioned Devi Lovato. I've heard the name and she's some kind of US X Factor winner but wouldn't know anything about her really.

As you say, the chat shows over there can't get A Listers every night so there will be a lot of filler with minor TV and music people.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't enjoy Friday's show because I felt Judi Dench didn't get enough time to talk.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie Walters is one of my favourite people. How is she not a Dame yet?
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »

I don't know. She really should be.

She is just fabulous.
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »

This ;-)
  • mia75mia75 Posts: 9,352
    Forum Member
    I love Take That. I don't care how many there are of them! Lol
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched this for a bit for one reason or another and it was fantastic. Very funny.

Best chat show, and Graham is a very skilled and humorous host.

Julie Walters is just marvellous.
  • LolaSveltLolaSvelt Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it really annoying when he pulls the lever before the story. It's gotten boring at this point, and I'd rather hear a story instead!
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LolaSvelt wrote: »
    I find it really annoying when he pulls the lever before the story. It's gotten boring at this point, and I'd rather hear a story instead!

Same here. Did you catch what his job was?
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already know for a fact that a good 20-25 minutes of next week's show is gonna be dedicated to talking to One Direction. Much like when U2 took over the show a couple of weeks ago.

And it's gonna make me unhappy because it means Sir Ian McKellen won't get much of a word in edgeways.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    I love Julie Walters and absolutely agree she should be a Dame.

I've never seen Nicole Kidman on a chat show but I think she seems lovely.

it was a great, relaxed fun show tonight.