Will we ever see the other time lords again?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They have dug-up most of the better old enemies and they reinvented The Master and seem to enjoy time lord storylines (we have seen Rassilon as well), but conspicuous by their absence are many of the old time lords such as The Rani, The Monk, Drax, Borusa etc.

I wonder if we'll ever see these again? Some were really great characters :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to see the timelords again, depending on the way they are brought back. Done correctly it could be very good for the series, as the timelords would provide a very effective counter balance to the Doctor.

Benefits of bringing the timelords back would include:

A reason for the Doctor to be on the run again. The timelords would certainly want to punish the Doctor for trying to wipe them out.

A limit to the Doctors remit, he would no longer be the 'ultimate' power as such, but would have to watch his step.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the Monk would need to be recast of course but I'd love to see him again. The Rani, I think, was a fairly limited character and I doubt we'll see her again. As for Drax, he now appears to be working as a Police pathologist in Midsomer...
  • IRKarlIRKarl Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    For the Timelords to work they had to be vague and mysterious but by the end they had lost all mystique.

SInce it was named Gallifrey quickly became a silly place

Maybe have a few surviving Timelords show up.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IRKarl wrote: »
    For the Timelords to work they had to be vague and mysterious but by the end they had lost all mystique.

SInce it was named Gallifrey quickly became a silly place

Maybe have a few surviving Timelords show up.
    This ^
    (And maybe have them be rather annoyed with the Doctor and try to kill him)
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    I think they should bring back that guy in the bowler hat hovering in mid air surrounded by a sea of bad CSO!
    Now that was a Timelord!
    :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I think they should bring back that guy in the bowler hat hovering in mid air surrounded by a sea of bad CSO!
    Now that was a Timelord!
    :D

the valeyard?
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the Time Lords will be back. I suspect - given what we've seen so far of Moffat - that he'll bring them back completely rather than have them pop-in and out again. Having brought them back, I reckon he'll then leave them on the back-burner - they'll exist but won't be used to any great extent - much like earlier DW. They'll only appear as and when a plot really needs them but they may get a mention or be tied into a background story such as the Tardis degenerating over the course of a couple of series and needing to return to Gallifrey to die (that's one series I'd love to write - I already know the ending)

Inidviduals like Rani, Monk, Omega - they can easily appear if only because most current viewers have no idea who they are or - at best - only know them by name. Even the worst character ever can become a hugely popular one today - because it's just a name that get's re-used (and a very loose, general connection to the original to maintain "canon").

Can't say I care if they do or don't appear. To me, if a plot needs a particular type of villain or threat, there's little difference which of them gets the role - as long as it is well made. I wouldn't object to the Rani being this series badguy anymore than I'd object to it being some completely new enemy. For me, it would be better to have, for example, the Rani than to have the Sontarans as the "big bad" for series 6 because the sneaky stuff - kidnapping, copying people, stealing babies - would be out of character for the warrior race but about right for her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    the valeyard?

No, the guy in the bowler hat was long before the valeyard. He came to warn the Doctor that the Master was on the scene. Early in the 3rd Doctor's time on Earth.

Even without the Timelords there are still a few adversaries that could be ressurected. We could find out that the Ice Warriors were not from Mars, as originally thought, but only using it as a base from which to launch attacks. We never really saw an end to the Great Intelligence behind the yeti robots. The Krotons were a race dedicated to conquest, but were thwarted by the Doctor.

I still agree that the Timelords should come back, if only to be an occasional thorn in the side of the Doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Bhobtoo wrote: »
    No, the guy in the bowler hat was long before the valeyard. He came to warn the Doctor that the Master was on the scene. Early in the 3rd Doctor's time on Earth.

oh that one in terror of the autons yes?
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the Time Lords will be back. I suspect - given what we've seen so far of Moffat - that he'll bring them back completely rather than have them pop-in and out again. Having brought them back, I reckon he'll then leave them on the back-burner - they'll exist but won't be used to any great extent - much like earlier DW.
    Personally I might be a bit disappointed if they messed up the theme of the Doctor being the last of his kind because I like that :)
    They'll only appear as and when a plot really needs them but they may get a mention or be tied into a background story such as the Tardis degenerating over the course of a couple of series and needing to return to Gallifrey to die (that's one series I'd love to write - I already know the ending)

Inidviduals like Rani, Monk, Omega - they can easily appear if only because most current viewers have no idea who they are or - at best - only know them by name. Even the worst character ever can become a hugely popular one today - because it's just a name that get's re-used (and a very loose, general connection to the original to maintain "canon").
    However I'd also enjoy that idea, sounds very...er... interesting. :o :cool:
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone mentioned Omega yet? He normally pops up very quickly in these sorts of conversations.
  • MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Has anyone mentioned Omega yet? He normally pops up very quickly in these sorts of conversations.

I did - it would be rude not to :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only ones i'd be interested in seeing again really are the Time Meddler (ting moment of pedantry: he was only posing as a monk. He isn't actually one! It made no sense when he was still dressed like that in The Dalek's Masterplan) and Romana. But it would have to be a very particular actress to do the part justice. I wouldn't want to see a generic 'Doctor's Daughter' type of actress play the role. Mary Tamm and the Honourable Lady Ward set the bar high. Someone like Alex Kingston would be perfect in fact!

Matt Lucas would be good as the regenerated Time Meddler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    oh that one in terror of the autons yes?

That's the guy. He stood in mid-air and spoke with the Doctor, then he was gone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bhobtoo wrote: »
    That's the guy. He stood in mid-air and spoke with the Doctor, then he was gone.

I liked him, what little we saw of him. He was at least more entertaining than the one in Genesis of the Daleks part one, who seemed to have just come straight from starring in an am-dram production of The Seventh Seal.
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    sticking to the original tital of the thread,
    so....do we think that the Gangers/Flesh could be used as a way of returning the timelords? after all wasnt their essence DNA sorta stored on the cubes in the Doctor's Wife -
    just a thought mateys - don't shout me down

newman
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newman2005 wrote: »
    sticking to the original tital of the thread,
    so....do we think that the Gangers/Flesh could be used as a way of returning the timelords? after all wasnt their essence DNA sorta stored on the cubes in the Doctor's Wife -
    just a thought mateys - don't shout me down

newman

No. The cubes contained telapathic imprints, effectively recordings they had made with their minds, not DNA.
  • newman2005newman2005 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    No. The cubes contained telapathic imprints, effectively recordings they had made with their minds, not DNA.

did the doctor put his hand in the flesh to get his ganger then - just thinking.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeley Hawes for Romana, David Mitchell for The Monk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newman2005 wrote: »
    did the doctor put his hand in the flesh to get his ganger then - just thinking.

Yes, I think that was essentially what happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did - it would be rude not to :)

Respect!

I would love to see the Time Lords come back, but with an interesting plot that has them doing stuff, rather than kicking back on Gallifrey. I'd love to see Time Lord society fragmented, with lots of small factions making do, rather than the high society it was before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Keeley Hawes for Romana, David Mitchell for The Monk.

Now that is worthy of a chuckle :)

Keeley Hawes is perfect in my eyes, and as long as the Monk/Mortimus is played as a lovable rogue, then Mitchell would be a good choice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 259
    Forum Member
    This ^
    (And maybe have them be rather annoyed with the Doctor and try to kill him)

It wouldn't surprise me if this is what Moffat is building up to, to be honest. Perhaps Kovarian is a Time Lord in disguise, Moffat likes disguises. But then that would be a bit too much like The Master in RTD era.

I really do think he could bring back a couple of Time Lords for the 50th.
  • DogmatixDogmatix Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Will we ever see the other time lords again?

Yes.

Somewhere, somewhen, somehow....
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Graeme Garden appeared as The Monk in several Big Finish CDs