Options

Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many killers attract large followings of women who want to support them for some strange reason.

Yes - something which I have always found inexplicable.

There was a documentary on death row prisoners recently and I think one of them had a wife who had married him since his conviction. Bizarre.
  • Options
    candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Saying that as a fan, you're feeling sad that OP is in the situation he is is perfectly fine. Given the adversity he has had to face and what he has acheived to overcome it, most people would admire him. And to find him brought this low (through his own actions, mind) is tragic.

But as a fan please spare a kind thought for Reeva, her family and friends. They are going through their own hell as well.

That's all people are trying to say.

Fan, the clue is in the word - fanatic....not worthy of responding to. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who would date Pissed-off-ious now?
    Many killers attract large followings of women who want to support them for some strange reason.

Yes, and men too. Didn't Amanda Knox receive many letters from admirers after she was convicted of Meredith Kercher's murder?

If he is released after trial, I have no doubt he will still have many women willing to date him.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's the case that 3 cartridges were found in the bathroom, 1 in the walkway, and 1 in the toilet (used by the defence to show the police as incompetent), then that is definitely more than 4 shots. Either we are wrong about the number of cartridges and where they were found, or the defence may have already destroyed their client's case.

Edit: Re-reading back in the thread, it may be a bullet they found in the toilet. That makes more sense. Never mind, carry on. :D
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Can you explain that tourista, I've no idea about guns.

I am no expert, and certainly hope others here who are far more knowledgable on firearms, but will try to answer to the best of my limited abilities.

A semi automatic pistol once fired ejects the used cartridge, and most weapons I understand ejects the used cartridge from the right hand side of the weapon. This would mean that the firer of the pistol in OP's case would have had to have been in the toilet itself for the cartridge to end up where it seems it did.

Sorry its a wiki link, but this article gives you a basic idea of what I am rambling on about. wiki link

The second picture shows the ejection "port" where the spent cartridge comes out of the weapon..
  • Options
    egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would the cricket bat be "covered" in blood? OP admits bashing door in with it-that occurs outside the toilet obviously-no reason for him to take it into toilet cubicle to come into contact with blood.
    Ok so he drops it and it get some blood as he carries Reeva out maybe,but covered in it? I cant see a reason for this.
  • Options
    GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It says in that graphic that 3 cartridges were found in the bathroom and 1 in the hallway, but didn't someone claim that a cartridge casing was found in the toilet bowl?

Mr Nel told the court that Pistorius fired into the door of a small bathroom where Steenkamp was cowering after a shouting match. He fired four times and three bullets hit Steenkamp, the prosecutor said.

I am not a firearms expert, so can only guess that 3 of the bullets went into Reeva's body and the fourth went into the wall..although I am sure a more expert opinion will be offered for explanation. So that slug in the toilet basin..was it from passing through Reeva's body? Or was the slug still in the wall? We won't know until the trial.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    That was me. It would have been cool/chilly at night compared to day temp.

Another question I have is, if they were sleeping, why was she found wearing shorts? Or as they said, 'dressed'? Unless they were loose shorts it is uncomfortable to sleep in them.

Thanks for the info.:) I was wondering what the temp was, too.

It could be those silk lingerie type things you can wear at night as opposed to close fitted cotton shorts.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oy DP, you are more likely to know about guns, is the casing found in the toilet bowl a game changer, or do casings end up anywhere?.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    I am no expert, and certainly hope others here who are far more knowledgable on firearms, but will try to answer to the best of my limited abilities.

A semi automatic pistol once fired ejects the used cartridge, and most weapons I understand ejects the used cartridge from the right hand side of the weapon. This would mean that the firer of the pistol in OP's case would have had to have been in the toilet itself for the cartridge to end up where it seems it did.

Sorry its a wiki link, but this article gives you a basic idea of what I am rambling on about. wiki link

The second picture shows the ejection "port" where the spent cartridge comes out of the weapon..

Thanks for that, appreciate it - will go and have a read.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Oy DP, you are more likely to know about guns, is the casing found in the toilet bowl a game changer, or do casings end up anywhere?.

I've not really read enough detailed information, if it is there, about this, but clearly a casing could not be ejected through a closed door into the bowl.

Whether it could have caught in the clothing of Pistorious, who carried it into the toilet when he entered, I dont know.

Hopefully the forensic teams will clear that up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not really read enough detailed information, if it is there, about this, but clearly a casing could not be ejected through a closed door into the bowl.

Whether it could have caught in the clothing of Pistorious, who carried it into the toilet when he entered, I dont know.

According to this, it was the actual slug/bullet found in the toilet basin, not the spent cartridge.

Testimony by Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha of the South African Police Service left prosecutors rubbing their temples, only able to look down at their notes as he misjudged distances and acknowledged a forensics team left in the toilet bowl one of the bullet slugs fired at Steenkamp. However, Botha still poked holes in Pistorius’ own account that he feared for his life and opened fire on Valentine’s Day after mistaking Steenkamp for an intruder.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    According to this, it was the actual slug/bullet found in the toilet basin, not the spent cartridge.

Testimony by Detective Warrant Officer Hilton Botha of the South African Police Service left prosecutors rubbing their temples, only able to look down at their notes as he misjudged distances and acknowledged a forensics team left in the toilet bowl one of the bullet slugs fired at Steenkamp. However, Botha still poked holes in Pistorius’ own account that he feared for his life and opened fire on Valentine’s Day after mistaking Steenkamp for an intruder.

That makes much more sense than a casing being there.
  • Options
    KathySparkKathySpark Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have read a few reports that the defence say that they found a bullet in the toilet that had been missed by police. I cant seem to find a word for word transcript. Is there one. A bullet in the toilet could mean a bullet in the room or in the bowl itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »

Thanks that was what I was trying to find out.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So is it one of the bullets that passed thrugh Reeva's body?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    So is it one of the bullets that passed thrugh Reeva's body?

I suppose we wont't know for sure until the trial, but that could be the case.

Being naturally suspicious, I do hope it has been handed over for forensic examination - otherwise couldn't it just have been 'found' in the toilet bowl to back up OP's account of events?(Particularly since the police didn't appear to see it when they searched). And anyway, what were OPs 'team' doing snooping around a potential crime scene - since when has a prime suspect been able to have their associates paddling around the crime scene doing separate investigations?

And if (as they are claiming) OP used a separate 'phone to call the emergency services, why hasn't this been passed straight to the police? Surely if it corroborates OP's story it would be one of the quickest ways to clear up any 'misunderstanidings'
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Either we are wrong about the number of cartridges and where they were found

I love the way we have all turned into Columbo/Frost/Morse/Lewis/Miss Marple/Poirot :D

I'm a Columbo ..................Erm... Just one more thing... :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I love the way we have all turned into Columbo/Frost/Morse/Lewis/Miss Marple/Poirot :D

LOL and we have the case solved even though we only have 1/100 of the evidence and information:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd like to be Endeavour...thinking it over with music and a pint!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm afraid I blame my mother. These are the programmes I watched regularly on TV whilst growing up:

A Man Called Ironside
    Z Cars
    Dixon of Dock Green
    Quincey
    Cannon
    The Sreets of San Francisco
    Columbo
    Kojak
    The Expert (about forensic science helping to solve crimes)
    Starskey & Hutch
    Hawaii Five-O
    Cagney & Lacey
    Any Agatha Christie dramatisations.

So, I just can't help picking at stories/statements if they don't feel or look right.

I have to say, I'm not sure how much of a sleuth one has to be to smell a rat in this particular situation.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    If this is the amount of information coming out at the bail hearing, the main trial is going to be a circus.

I dont see how this trial can be remotely fair or any judge and/or jury independent.
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    If this is the amount of information coming out at the bail hearing, the main trial is going to be a circus.

I dont see how this trial can be remotely fair or any judge and/or jury independent.

No jury, just judge(s).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »

Trials in SA do not use a jury, only judge/magistrates.

The assumption is that a trained member of the judiciary will decide the case on the evidence and will be less likely to be influenced by media etc.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Although I doubt his version of events, given he has no lower legs, it's reasonable to think he may not be able to shove a door with a shoulder like a nondisabled person would, and would need to use the bat instead to smash the panels.

The toilet would no doubt be drenched in blood, so the bat could have easily becomed bloodied.

I now wonder if the bat was used first to get Reeva out by banging on the door and when she didn't come out he came back with the gun :( The blood could get on the bat that way.

Seems OP has done a good job of destroying most of the evidence.

Had it been me I would have grabbed my partner and gone down the stairs with gun in hand. It would have been the fastest route and least life threatening.
This discussion has been closed.