Options

Sheila Hancock

BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Please do not think I am being insensitive. I really do not mean to be, but I've read a series of interviews with Sheila Hancock over the last few weeks and I am getting extremely fed up with her self-pity. Yes, she lost her husband at a tragically young age and I'm sure it was devastating, but we have all lost loved ones (me included). That's not even the issue I have with her.

She goes on about being alone, but she has a family, a good job and money in the bank. There are lot of bereaved/elderly people who have nothing and no-one to turn to. She is reasonably healthy and working at the age of 81. She talks about travelling the world. There are a lot of elderly people who have to choose between eating and staying warm.

Again, I'm sorry if being I'm insensitive but she needs to stop feeling sorry for herself and count her blessings. Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this?

Comments

• Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link to these self-pitying interviews?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the point is that no matter how much money or family members they have, a lot of elderly people feel alone and lost behind closed doors when they've lost their partners.
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably. Looking back, I regret what I wrote. We've all lost people. I lost someone very close to me and it hurt. She's entitled to hurt as well. They say it gets easier but it doesn't, you just get used to it. It doesn't matter how much money you have. Please accept my sincere apologies. I hope I haven't caused any offence.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr- hasnt it struck you that shes CONSTANTLY asked about John Thaw in interviews and is just answering the questions?
    Journo's are lazy & will relentlessly ask celebs about juicy or interesting aspects of their lives?

I also agree that she has a right to be lonely, miss him & verbalise this. Better this way than bottling it up & hiding it.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably. Looking back, I regret what I wrote. We've all lost people. I lost someone very close to me and it hurt. She's entitled to hurt as well. They say it gets easier but it doesn't, you just get used to it. It doesn't matter how much money you have. Please accept my sincere apologies. I hope I haven't caused any offence.

Don't worry about it. It's just a rant and we all need one from time to time. I don't intend for that to sound patronising. I've had a horrendous day (worrying about losing a parent who is seriously mentally ill) and just want to have a scream about those who are seemingly in a better position, sometimes. We're human. Just like Sheila.
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Don't worry about it. It's just a rant and we all need one from time to time. I don't intend for that to sound patronising. I've had a horrendous day (worrying about losing a parent who is seriously mentally ill) and just want to have a scream about those who are seemingly in a better position, sometimes. We're human. Just like Sheila.

@BritFlicks1 - 100% what Dorydaryl (beautifully) said. :cool:
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    When she was on Room 101 she came across as a bitchy person.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »

She was in a stage show last year with Keeley Hawes. Keeley left before the end of her contract because of the bad relationship between her and Sheila. Unusual step for an actress to make. It was a rubbish show though so perhaps that created a certain amount of tension.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People seem to forget she lost a husband before she married John. She was young at the time with a small child. So she has lost two husbands, outliving them both.

The thing with Keeley, it wasn't just Sheila who bitched about her. She was classed as a TV actress who had never done live theatre before and wasn't up to the strain.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I have no idea why, but I've never taken to SheilaHhancock, even from years ago, not just recently.

OP, no need to apologise, you are entitled to your opinion, no matter what others may think.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She doesn't come across as a nice person to be honest. Never have liked her.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was in a stage show last year with Keeley Hawes. Keeley left before the end of her contract because of the bad relationship between her and Sheila. Unusual step for an actress to make. It was a rubbish show though so perhaps that created a certain amount of tension.

BIB I liked it and thought Keeley Hawes was very good in it. IMO although she' s also very good, Sheila Hancock has an inflated opinion of herself as an actress.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That show rather invites people to be bitchy.
  • Options
    cotton tailcotton tail Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    I always had a soft spot for John Thaw but for some reason have never been able to take to Sheila Hancock.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    That show rather invites people to be bitchy.
    But she was bitchy to the other guests not just her nominations.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never taken to her either, could never put my finger on why exactly, interesting to read that others feel the same.

We're all obviously picking up on something, wonder what it is? :confused:
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never really taken to her either and I think it's because she's not very 'mumsy' even at 81. Jude Dench always gives off a warm mumsyness about her even though she's an actress of the highest calibre. That's my reason anyway 😎
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    People seem to forget she lost a husband before she married John. She was young at the time with a small child. So she has lost two husbands, outliving them both.

I respect her in that when she and John met (they were in the same play) there was an immediate attraction, but nothing came of it because she was married and committed to her husband. It was some time after his death that their paths crossed again and this time she was free.

I've read her book 'The Two Of Us'. Her first husband died from cancer so imagine how she felt when John was diagnose with it too. In fact, if I remember right, it was even the same kind of cancer.

People will always ask her about John. It's because of him that I read the book (I loved watching him in Morse and enjoy the books too). I haven't read her subsequent book, about her life as a widow.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PoppySeed wrote: »
    I've never really taken to her either and I think it's because she's not very 'mumsy' even at 81. Jude Dench always gives off a warm mumsyness about her even though she's an actress of the highest calibre. That's my reason anyway 😎

Fair enough if you just don't like someone, but not very 'mumsy'! :o

Are there any male actors who are not 'dadsy' enough for you?
  • Options
    PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I just like the old ladies to be warm and cuddly and mumsy, 😄😄 😄 I guess it's because that's what I had in my own family😉
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this hubaloo between Sheila Hancock and Keeley Hawes last year springs to my mind about Bette Davis, Hollywood film star of the 30s & 40s. She took an instant dislike to Sheila Hancock when they both starred in a film called 'The Anniversary' and wanted another actress to replace Sheila. Sheila found out about this by listening to the ageing star's argument with the director through the wall of her dressing room as Ms Davis had her dressing room next to hers.

It's a pity that Sheila seems to have forgotten how she felt from this incident and should have shown empathy towards the younger Ms Hawes out of this but she didn't. I know Sheila can be blunt sometimes but unfortunately it gets interpreted as her being bitchy that way.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's on Jonathan Ross tonight, mentioned her husband within the first 5 mins, unprompted ;-)
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw that and couldnt believe what I was watching, she was horrendous to the young comedian (who actually has OCD type anxiety) and very personal about him.
  • Options
    chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    She's on Jonathan Ross tonight, mentioned her husband within the first 5 mins, unprompted ;-)

Yes she did.
    You can add me too..I've never 'liked' her either (not that shes worried about my opnion)

I can't say what it is either...it could be the endless interviews she's done talking about her pain, loneliness, widow hood on and on.
    My dad's been widowed 20 years btw mum was 47 when she died. She talks like she's the only one
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't particularly like her, but by most accounts the show she was in with Keeley was dreadful. Sheila has done plenty of plays and musicals without any hassle so surely Keeley must take some responsibility?

P.S. I don't agree about judging someone on their 'mumsiness' just because of their age and/or sex.