Options

Great British Railway Journeys-Series 3

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easy viewing and very informative as usual, MP is very good and it's a pleasure to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tinkie wrote: »
    Thanks OP you have made my hubby happy as he didn't spot this in our TV guide

It's been sadly under-advertised by the BBC, which is a shame, as it's a very good programme.
  • Options
    DoubleDoomDoubleDoom Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    caught it by fluke and it was a very good episode to start us off.

I dont think running out of railways is an issue as there is actually very little coverage of the railways itself but rather a single snapshot of an item in a village or town.

Take tonight, nothing about Berney Arms. Haddiscoe could offer a bit, Lowestoft was a 10 second segment. Beccles is a lovely place and could have had lots of coverage in different areas. So, basically, he can revisit lines again and catch the stations missed in between or pick a different local business or activity.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live near Great Yarmouth, and had no idea about the "corpse trade".

Excellent series as usual. Isn't it lovely to have a gentle, informative programme with such an enthusiastic presenter? I look forward to every programme in the series.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nealry missed this just a pity the BBC did not promote it better. The last two series have been excellent amd Portillo is an excellent presenter. I have recorded it and about to see the first one programme a moment.
  • Options
    piimapoikapiimapoika Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    So a pauper's corpse was worth £12? Probably more money than he had seen all the time he was alive.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good opening episode.

I suppose there are areas he could revisit or some lines which may double up on others. He could do more in Scotland and Wales I'm sure and what about Ireland?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well up to standard. And 24 more to come. Lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well up to standard. And 24 more to come. Lovely.

I agree, it's good how MP just picks it up, so naturally from the previous series and he never looks bored and it's always interesting to watch.

My gripe is, the BBC don't promote this programme enough.
  • Options
    Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hamigo wrote: »
    I agree, it's good how MP just picks it up, so naturally from the previous series and he never looks bored and it's always interesting to watch.

My gripe is, the BBC don't promote this programme enough.

I totally agree, and I didn't even like MP when he was in politics. This programme completely changed my opinion of him from the first programme in the first series.

You are right about the programme not being promoted enough. Why I wonder? It has proved to be a hit in the past.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piimapoika wrote: »
    So a pauper's corpse was worth £12? Probably more money than he had seen all the time he was alive.

Worryingly, I expect they were worth more dead than alive to the workhouse:eek:
  • Options
    VericaciousVericacious Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    I totally agree, and I didn't even like MP when he was in politics. This programme completely changed my opinion of him from the first programme in the first series.

You are right about the programme not being promoted enough. Why I wonder? It has proved to be a hit in the past.

It doesn't bode well for a further series; this what happens when a programme is being 'run down', either lack of promotion, being delayed or being moved to a poorer place in the schedule.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a smashing programme that could easily run to an hour.
    MP is turning out to be a good "Traveller" in the Michael Palin meaning.For the future BBC should consider Foreign rail trips as well.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh absolutely. I would love a series where he travelled across foreign countries via train. Stopping off and looking at cultures. That would be brilliant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    MP is turning out to be a good "Traveller" in the Michael Palin meaning.For the future BBC should consider Foreign rail trips as well.

Michael Portillo has done a couple of travel shows about Spain a few years ago, he is a 'natural' for travel documentaries and i agree, he is a good replacement for Michael Palin.

When you consider what rubbish the BBC promote and ignore this very good and informative programme, is it any wonder why there is so much rubbish on TV.
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member

What I actually like is that, even in the third series it has resisted the temptation to be merely a travelogue by train mixed with a bit of "Down your Way".

Keeping the programme grounded in the railways through the references to Bradshaw and the snippets of social and rail history, make it special to me, though admittedly I have a keen interest in the subject - so the more of this the better.

... I'll get my anorak.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't bode well for a further series; this what happens when a programme is being 'run down', either lack of promotion, being delayed or being moved to a poorer place in the schedule.
    The programme's previous two series (and the subsequent repeats) received little or no promotion either (and were also shown in the same 6:30pm slot on BBC2/BBC HD), so I don't think there is any need to be worried on that count.
  • Options
    VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Aren't they cutting the BBC2 daytime content? I had a feeling this was one of the shows they mentioned that might suffer as a consequence.

When Ray Mears was off to ITV they didn't do much publicity for his last series, which was one of his best, about Canada. Perhaps there's a trend here.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VincentH wrote: »
    Aren't they cutting the BBC2 daytime content? I had a feeling this was one of the shows they mentioned that might suffer as a consequence.
    It's not part of BBC2 Daytime (not at 6:30pm).
    When Ray Mears was off to ITV they didn't do much publicity for his last series, which was one of his best, about Canada. Perhaps there's a trend here.
    As I said above, there has been little of no publicity for either of the first two series or their subsequent repeats.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Great start to the new series....and long may it stay, at it's regular time slot...:)

Loved the Reedham Swing Bridge.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *settles down for episode 2 :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another very good episode, time just flies by, it's that absorbing.

This series looks like it's going to be a classic.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah was another good ep that, those ships carrying 10,000 containers :eek:
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think one reason this series does work so well is the fact that it's just 30 minutes, but run every weekday evening.
    hamigo wrote: »
    Michael Portillo has done a couple of travel shows about Spain a few years ago, he is a 'natural' for travel documentaries and i agree, he is a good replacement for Michael Palin.
    Absolutely. He is obviously genuinely interested in the subject and like others I would like to see him 'branch out' (no pun intended!) into foreign countries.

Having travelled a fair bit myself in ex-eastern bloc countries, Palins excursions there interested me.

OT a bit but someone else who did a short series of travel documentaries and presented excellently was Paul O' Grady.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are fans in the kaz household.

Like others have said MP is excellent at presenting this programme.

I also watch it while having my tea.