Options

Fastershire

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 84
Forum Member
Has anyone got this to provide quicker speeds for their home? It's seems more negative comments on Facebook than good. Seems strange how openreach deemed Gloucestershire with 650000 population compared to Herefordshire with 180000 population just as uneconomic.

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrgs1 wrote: »
    Has anyone got this to provide quicker speeds for their home? It's seems more negative comments on Facebook than good. Seems strange how openreach deemed Gloucestershire with 650000 population compared to Herefordshire with 180000 population just as uneconomic.

Not sure what you mean. Fastershire is a way to get FTTC to places that would never get it normally. Speed depends how far away you are from the FTTC
    Most of the money is coming from tax payers, BT is putting some in.

Where about are you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. Fastershire is a way to get FTTC to places that would never get it normally. Speed depends how far away you are from the FTTC
    Most of the money is coming from tax payers, BT is putting some in.

Where about are you?
    I mean how good is it ? From Facebook page it's pretty much all negative cabinets not being upgraded, housing estates, trading estates whole villages being left out etc . I just wonder if anyone is getting a fast service from this partnership? It just seems strange BY not rolling out more than bare minimum here in Gloucestershire even leaving out a suburb like bishops cleeve in Cheltenham which has a larger population than Tewkesbury and not even covering them properly, I bet in the south east towns and villages of the same size were covered, we seem to get a raw deal here. And stroud residents having to pay £30000 for openreach to upgrade a cabinet in charfold!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean how good is it ? From Facebook page it's pretty much all negative cabinets not being upgraded, housing estates, trading estates whole villages being left out etc . I just wonder if anyone is getting a fast service from this partnership? It just seems strange BY not rolling out more than bare minimum here in Gloucestershire even leaving out a suburb like bishops cleeve in Cheltenham which has a larger population than Tewkesbury and not even covering them properly, I bet in the south east towns and villages of the same size were covered, we seem to get a raw deal here. And stroud residents having to pay £30000 for openreach to upgrade a cabinet in charfold!

Fastershire is just a way to get FTTc and broadband to places where it will not go without some tax money given to BT. the service will be the same as anywhere else, in fact better in some places as some are getting FTTH, which is a lot faster, but will cost more.

How they decide i have no idea, I know a few people who live int he sticks and I would never have thought in a month of Sundays they would FTTC, never mind FTTH, but that is way they are going to get, eventually, when it is switched on.
    I presume that for the places around here the fibre will come from the Hereford Exchange, which should mean they will have more choice of providers, like Talk Talk and Sky who have their own equipment at the exchange.

Saying that the BTOR man told me it could come from Birmingham if they found a need to do so.

It will get there, but it takes time, too much time sometimes I agree, i do not know anyone of yet who is connected, the first date for someone I know is around March, but that can change. I keep looking online.
    Have you gone to the Fastershire web site?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't comment on Gloucestershire specifically but down here in Cornwall it's fairly normal practice to leave cabinets/areas out and come back later. Some areas will have issues that hold up a rollout (e.g. planning or getting electricity/fibre to the cabinet) so might appear to be left out while others get it sooner.

I guess it's also possible that an area might be due for fibre to the premises, so no new cabinet appears and people may think that nothing's happening when there really is.

What's even more irritating is the totally random and patchwork choice of technology. One street may be deemed worthy of fibre to the premises, others with similar "demographics" aren't (and especially not streets where layout means people at one end are going to get very subpar FTTC speeds), other places see half the road get FTTP and the other half FTTC.

Today I was driving around some very rural backwater and noticed that despite the incredibly low population density, BT has installed FTTP. I'm not even sure some of the poles even have any copper customers on them, let alone fibre. People in other similarly rural areas get sold "not doing anything, sorry, have you thought about satellite internet?"

(which is what grinds my gears when BT shareholders like to claim large scale FTTP is too expensive - their own company is doing it anyway in totally unprofitable areas where they want to!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to have gone belly up around here. A mate of mine been waiting for age and I thought FTTC was going to happen in March, now when I check their is no date,, just that we are working to bring Fibre to you.

so something have gone wrong somewhere.
  • Options
    rjmachinrjmachin Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping that doesn't happen to me again. I am currently due sometime between March and June. However, it was originally May last year, which kept being put back and back again several times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjmachin wrote: »
    I am hoping that doesn't happen to me again. I am currently due sometime between March and June. However, it was originally May last year, which kept being put back and back again several times.

That was my main reason for Skipping FTTC until now and if my ISP was still giving me the speed I wanted I would still not be with FTTC.

My ADSL connection was never great and having Netflix I just wanted that bit of extra speed, FTTC date was moving further away and no one knew when it was going to happen, even if the cabinet was standing there all ready to go. A local provider that used a Wireless network, was in town one day and I decided that was the answer. Only 10Mb/s top speed, but better than ADSL and available there and then.

So I went for it and for the most part it have been great, a couple of niggles, but it done what I wanted.
    Sadly I think they over estimated the amount of people who would use them, mainly because they are more for people in the sticks who can not get or have naff broadband.

A few months back, say December i suppose, speed started to fall off, it went to 5Mb/s, which is still ok, but then as time went by I was stuck at 2mb/s sometimes, which is not good.
    They are updating the network, but it could take until July or August and while I do not need super douper speed i do need something that is stable.

So sadly, last week I changed to FTTC, I been given little choice and yes I admit the super high speed is nice to have.
    Once my old provider have sorted things , I will still recomend them to people who can not get broadband any other way.

Will I go back? I did say I would in 18 months, but I am not sure now, depends how reliable plusnet is.
    For me there is less choice if Plusnet do not do what I want. While I know Plusnet is part of BT, and i really did not want to go back to Bt, it is a separate part. Talk Talk, I can not see myself going for them, but I did think about it, Sky is just over priced and also it have Murdoch stain on it.

But to be honest, i would have preferred to stay with who I was with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    That was my main reason for Skipping FTTC until now and if my ISP was still giving me the speed I wanted I would still not be with FTTC.

My ADSL connection was never great and having Netflix I just wanted that bit of extra speed, FTTC date was moving further away and no one knew when it was going to happen, even if the cabinet was standing there all ready to go. A local provider that used a Wireless network, was in town one day and I decided that was the answer. Only 10Mb/s top speed, but better than ADSL and available there and then.

So I went for it and for the most part it have been great, a couple of niggles, but it done what I wanted.
    Sadly I think they over estimated the amount of people who would use them, mainly because they are more for people in the sticks who can not get or have naff broadband.

A few months back, say December i suppose, speed started to fall off, it went to 5Mb/s, which is still ok, but then as time went by I was stuck at 2mb/s sometimes, which is not good.
    They are updating the network, but it could take until July or August and while I do not need super douper speed i do need something that is stable.

So sadly, last week I changed to FTTC, I been given little choice and yes I admit the super high speed is nice to have.
    Once my old provider have sorted things , I will still recomend them to people who can not get broadband any other way.

Will I go back? I did say I would in 18 months, but I am not sure now, depends how reliable plusnet is.
    For me there is less choice if Plusnet do not do what I want. While I know Plusnet is part of BT, and i really did not want to go back to Bt, it is a separate part. Talk Talk, I can not see myself going for them, but I did think about it, Sky is just over priced and also it have Murdoch stain on it.

But to be honest, i would have preferred to stay with who I was with.
    I real chance for giving everyone a more level playing field for broadband has been messed up! We really do get a raw deal here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I real chance for giving everyone a more level playing field for broadband has been messed up! We really do get a raw deal here!

What annoys me is that almost every single one of these projects have gone to BT. i can kind of understand why, because people get a choice of providers, but it still annoying that the tax paying is supporting a multi billion pound company.

I think here, once BT have decided where they are not going to put broadband, any money left should go and support Allpay with their Wireless service. I know they have problems at the moment, but I am sure they will be sorted and their system works and I bet it cheaper than sticking fibre in the middle of no man's land.

Yes, i know they are a another company and yes they are want to make money out of it, but without them, a lot of people would be internet less.

i am talking local here, but I am sure there are other wireless based providers around, in fact I know there is.

It would be great if everyone had fibre coming into their property countrywide and we could just choose the provider we want, with or without phone, but it is not to be and i doubt it will be for years.