Options

Heavy data and calls user - best deal on the market?

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »
    Take your pick from the end of 2008!
    http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/spectrum/mobile-wireless-broadband/cellular/coverage_maps.pdf

Three and Orange were close and much better than Voda/O2/T-Mob. I think Three still edged it over the entire period and in any case at that point they were HSDPA where as Orange still had loads of original R99 3G (even Voda had long been 100% HSDPA by then).

Good point actually. Even though Orange did have a very large network, Three had more HSDPA masts than Orange.
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I remember in 2009 Orange were running billboard ads saying they were the biggest 3G network, the only problem is the ASA asked them to substantiate it and they couldn't! The ASA ruled it to be untruthful and misleading. I'm pretty sure Three were the biggest back then.

I don't doubt that. Orange often made these claims and in any case by 2009 it was really crap 3G.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Good point actually. Even though Orange did have a very large network, Three had more HSDPA masts than Orange.

It really is no wonder that combined the coverage between T-Mobile/Orange/Three is so good. In fairness a lot of orange masts are still basic 3G. It will be a brilliant 3G network when MBNL is complete.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    It really is no wonder that combined the coverage between T-Mobile/Orange/Three is so good. In fairness a lot of orange masts are still basic 3G. It will be a brilliant 3G network when MBNL is complete.

MBNL are targeting 18,500+ sites and 99.2% total 3G coverage by 2015.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I remember in 2009 Orange were running billboard ads saying they were the biggest 3G network, the only problem is the ASA asked them to substantiate it and they couldn't! The ASA ruled it to be untruthful and misleading. I'm pretty sure Three were the biggest back then.

This is the one:
    Because Orange had not shown that the population coverage data they had supplied for their competitors networks was collected and reported on the same basis as their own, we considered that the claim "covers more people in the UK than any other operator" had not been substantiated.

We concluded that the ad was likely to mislead.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/06/30/asa-slaps-orange-over-uk-3g-mobile-broadband-coverage-claim.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MBNL are targeting 18,500+ sites and 99.2% total 3G coverage by 2015.
    Is that an official % claim as I've only ever seen > 99% quoted. If so then that that is an admission that they will fall behind the 2015 claim for Voda/O2 as there is no way 99.2% outdoor would equate to 98% indoor. It is generally reckoned you have to be well past 99.5% outdoor to reach 98% indoor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is that an official % claim as I've only ever seen > 99% quoted. If so then that that is an admission that they will fall behind the 2015 claim for Voda/O2 as there is no way 99.2% outdoor would equate to 98% indoor. It is generally reckoned you have to be well past 99.5% outdoor to reach 98% indoor.

It's what i've been told. No idea if it's changed since June. But it's what they're targeting by the end of 2014. Tbh i have no idea how they even work out the % numbers.

DC-HSPA+ coverage is at 85% right now with Three.
    And HSPA+ coverage is at 98% right now with Three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's what i've been told. No idea if it's changed since June. But it's what they're targeting by the end of 2014. Tbh i have no idea how they even work out the % numbers.

DC-HSPA+ coverage is at 85% right now with Three.
    And HSPA+ coverage is at 98% right now with Three.

Ah but then your 2015 is end of 2014 where as Voda / O2 is a year later at end of 2015 so they can still argue over who has the biggest :D

I would expect mbnl 3G coverage to still be in the lead at end of 2014. Probably Cornerstone will overtake them in 2015 just because 3G900 will be everywhere (even though it will be slower).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah but then your 2015 is end of 2014 where as Voda / O2 is a year later at end of 2015 so they can still argue over who has the biggest :D

I would expect mbnl 3G coverage to still be in the lead at end of 2014. Probably Cornerstone will overtake them in 2015 just because 3G900 will be everywhere (even though it will be slower).

Yeh, sorry for the confusion. I meant January 1st 2015 when i said 2015. Basically end of 2014. So a year from now and we should have 99.2% 3G coverage on 2100Mhz for EE and Three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In fairness it probably isn't even possible to get 98% indoors on 2100MHz simply because of the frequency. If 99.2% is managed outdoors that is only going mean only extremely remote areas aren't going to get coverage. Vodafone/O2 are likely going have better indoor 3G but should be slower till they turn of 2G.

Thanks for the date Jabba.

That leaves a question hanging though if they can manage 99.2% on 3G couldn't they also get that on 4G as well? I know both EE and Three are claiming 4G at 98% by end of there rollouts seems odd to claim a lower percentage on 4G as 1800MHz has a slightly longer range and that isn't counting 800MHz in rural areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 98% represents the end of 4G rollout especially for EE. Maybe just the end of a particular phase. No reason for it not to push on and match or surpass 3G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think 98% represents the end of 4G rollout especially for EE. Maybe just the end of a particular phase. No reason for it not to push on and match or surpass 3G.

This.

EE have said a target of 98% by the end of 2014. For Three its the end of 2015.

No doubt they will continue filling in gaps well after that as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This.

EE have said a target of 98% by the end of 2014. For Three its the end of 2015.

No doubt they will continue filling in gaps well after that as well.

Your right I should of considered that I apologise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Your right I should of considered that I apologise.

Why are you apologizing...? :confused:

But yeh, I'm sure 4G will get to 99.2%+ much quicker than it has for 3G
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you apologizing...? :confused:

But yeh, I'm sure 4G will get to 99.2%+ much quicker than it has for 3G

Not exactly sure honestly I just thought I should. Seems government representatives set down with 3/4 of networks in uk to discuss filling in black spots so you likely right. Though honestly I never thought we would ever be at 99.2% outdoors population coverage so it brilliant to hear that. Out of curiosity does anyone know how that transfers into geographical coverage imagine it must be 80-90%.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So I'm thinking of ditching EE - I just wondered who offered unlimited calls and over 3GB data reasonably? It looks like Vodafone under their 4G package are doing some good offers?

Unfortunately it has to have a mix of 2G and 3G as I live in a rural area so Three is ruled out.

Don't just rule out Three because you live in a rural area.

There are many areas in the country where you can no 3G coverage on O2/Vodafone but full 3G on Three.

Try out a Three PAYG sim card and see how the coverage works for you as they are the best network for data and voice quality is far superior on Three than it is on O2/voda
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity does anyone know how that transfers into geographical coverage imagine it must be 80-90%.
    In general based on current UK coverage amongst all the networks and Ofcom's research then you can get to 99.2 pop with a bit less than 80% (say 78%) geo. 90% geo really needs around 99.8 pop unless you specifically covered areas with zero population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In general based on current UK coverage amongst all the networks and Ofcom's research then you can get to 99.2 pop with a bit less than 80% (say 78%) geo. 90% geo really needs around 99.8 pop unless you specifically covered areas with zero population.

Wow didn't realise that 0.6% of a percent would make such a difference. Thanks for the information I appreciate that so we are going be lucky in UK if any network covers 80-82% geographical coverage.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I concur with the others who say not to rule out Three in rural areas. I use my Nexus 4, tethered to my Smart TV, laptop and tablet. I use 50 gig a month streaming Netflix etc and don't have any issues. Search for postcode LA2 0DY and you'll see I'm pretty rural.
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vodafone 4G- £26pm
    Unlimited Mins/Texts & 6GB Data
    (£157 Cashback= £7.90pm)

How the heck did you come up with that amount?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oatstie wrote: »
    How the heck did you come up with that amount?

Sorry! Should be £12.90pm
  • Options
    oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry! Should be £12.90pm

No worries - I just wondered if it was my bad maths or yours! :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oatstie wrote: »
    No worries - I just wondered if it was my bad maths or yours! :p:D

I was thinking of the £21pm deal when i was typing that. Forgot to add £5pm for the £26pm deal.
  • Options
    roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems Three are poor in North Norfolk. I get H along my journey, but no actual bars on the signal bar so I wouldn't be able to make calls.

Vodafone and O2 didn't fair much better with no 3G.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So it seems Three are poor in North Norfolk. I get H along my journey, but no actual bars on the signal bar so I wouldn't be able to make calls.

Vodafone and O2 didn't fair much better with no 3G.

If you're getting H then you'd be able to make calls most likely.
    Did you try it?