Options

Plusnet

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    There's nothing in the manual to say why the label under the ETH4 socket has a pink border around it. :confused:

What router did they send you? In the manual i got for the Sagecom, it says on page 5, to connect a ethernet cable to lan 1 socket on the BT modem and connect the other end to ETH 4, marks with a red ring on the back of the router.

But it is more pink than red
  • Options
    witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    I changed from Plusnet to TalkTalk. Plusnet were charging me £7.99 a month for 10GB of download, I now get unlimited download for £1.75 a month, (same speed).
    It was very hard to leave Plusnet and they would not stop taking my monthly subscriptions after I called to cancel my contract (monthly).
    I eventually stopped the DD payments and they started sending me aggressive emails saying that the money would be recovered by a debt collector and I would be put on a blacklist. I eventually paid the arrears by cheque.
    I have not had any more communication with them – good riddance I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    witham1 wrote: »
    I changed from Plusnet to TalkTalk. Plusnet were charging me £7.99 a month for 10GB of download, I now get unlimited download for £1.75 a month, (same speed).
    It was very hard to leave Plusnet and they would not stop taking my monthly subscriptions after I called to cancel my contract (monthly).
    I eventually stopped the DD payments and they started sending me aggressive emails saying that the money would be recovered by a debt collector and I would be put on a blacklist. I eventually paid the arrears by cheque.
    I have not had any more communication with them – good riddance I say.

Unlimited broadband on Plusnet is a tenner normal price, so not too expensive really, unless you have broadband only and it is £12.49. Not being with plusnet at the moment I do not really know what their service is like, my mate seems happy with his most of time, but he is on Fibre.

The problem is if talk Talk is doing broadband for £1.75, then something have to go and with Talk talk it is the customer service and sometimes their internet service.
    Even plusnet being a tenner for ADSL is super cheap compared to what it have been and I can not see them making much money on that.

I hope I do not have any problems with plusnet, but to me it seems to be the best one out of the large providers, even if it is owned by Bloated Toad. Thankfully it seems to be run as a separate company .
    But if Talk Talk works for you, then fine, but to be honest I don't think I would use them.
    but i did think about it before I went with plusnet.

Anyway this may only be a temp thing, I may end up going back to my old provider in 18 months if they get things sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was paying £7.99 for a 10GB a month download for many years, but I saw the promotion from TalkTalk and signed up (£1.75 a month for a year and £3.50 afterwards). The service works very well and seems slightly faster than Plusnet.
    What scared me was the aggressive attitude of Plusnet. I was also with BT for the phone and they just sent me a final bill. I wish I could say the same for the way Plusnet treated me.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    What router did they send you? In the manual i got for the Sagecom, it says on page 5, to connect a ethernet cable to lan 1 socket on the BT modem and connect the other end to ETH 4, marks with a red ring on the back of the router.

But it is more pink than red
    It's the Sagemcom 2704N. I'm on ADSL, I take it you are on fibre.

witham1...I considered TalkTalk as well, but even though their broadband charges were cheaper than Plusnet, their phone charges were dearer. I compared the following before deciding on Plusnet:-

Line rental saver with TT is £180.36 compared to PN £155.88
    Anytime call package with TT is £7,50 pm compared to PN £5 pm.
    Call setup fee with TT is 16p compared to 15p with PN.
    Call charges with TT are 11.5p/min compared to 9p/min with PN.
    ...and a £50 connection fee with TT compared to £0 with PN!
    And I couldn't find anywhere on TT website about the cost of callerID add on.

TT contract is also 18 months compared to 12 months with PN.

My Sister is currently with PN for broadband & BT for phone. She is also on the old 10GB £7.99 package. I've told her to phone up PN & discuss taking their phone package, providing they can offer her a deal on her broadband as well (unlimited with a 12 month discount).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zenith wrote: »
    It's the Sagemcom 2704N. I'm on ADSL, I take it you are on fibre.

I will be, when it is connected.

If you are on ADSl that explains why they say nothing about the lable on ETH 4.
    The router is a ADSL router, but for fibre, plusnet but some hacked up firmware in it so the ETH4 port will work as a WAN.
    That is one of the things I do not like about their routers, but it will do as a spare.

witham1...I considered TalkTalk as well, but even though their broadband charges were cheaper than Plusnet, their phone charges were dearer. I compared the following before deciding on Plusnet:-

Line rental saver with TT is £180.36 compared to PN £155.88
    Anytime call package with TT is £7,50 pm compared to PN £5 pm.
    Call setup fee with TT is 16p compared to 15p with PN.
    Call charges with TT are 11.5p/min compared to 9p/min with PN.
    ...and a £50 connection fee with TT compared to £0 with PN!
    And I couldn't find anywhere on TT website about the cost of callerID add on.

TT contract is also 18 months compared to 12 months with PN.

i did look at Talk Talk and yes it would have been slightly cheap over 18 months than plusnet, but it is Talk Talk and to be honest i have had enough of talking to their customer service on behalf of other people and seeing problems other people have with them I just could not cope with it, certainly not at the moment.

I know of a couple of on Plusnet and they seem to be ok, one did have a few problems, but Plusnet, ok he was with MAD AS A FISH then, which belongs to plusnet, got BTOR out and they fixed the problem, so not a plusnet issue. It was a naff phone line issue.

I just could not bring myself to go to Talk Talk, it is hard enough me going to plusnet as it belongs to Bloated toad.
    My Sister is currently with PN for broadband & BT for phone. She is also on the old 10GB £7.99 package. I've told her to phone up PN & discuss taking their phone package, providing they can offer her a deal on her broadband as well (unlimited with a 12 month discount).

It is cheaper to take them both, since i will not be using my phone I thought i would just go with it, I can change after 18 months if need be.
    My mate have BT for phone and plusnet for fibre, he says it works out cheaper as he have BT for international calls.

I do not know what packages Plusnet offer on their phone, I just went for their cheapest option.

I just hope it all goes ok, two days to go and I should be on fibre.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have never used Plusnet for the phone, my contract was with BT.
    I only use TalkTalk for the internet. I have a mobile phone contract that I use for all phone calls.
    I was considering getting rid of my landline altogether but I do not a very good 3G/4G where I live.
    I have only been with TalkTalk since last October and so far I cannot fault them. I have not needed to phone their call centre. The ADSL modem they supplied only cost me £5 for the postage and it set itself up when switched on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only use TalkTalk for the internet. I have a mobile phone contract that I use for all phone calls.
    I was considering getting rid of my landline altogether but I do not a very good 3G/4G where I live.
    I have only been with TalkTalk since last October and so far I cannot fault them. I have not needed to phone their call centre. The ADSL modem they supplied only cost me £5 for the postage and it set itself up when switched on.

I am sure Talk Talk is fine for a lot of people, they must be otherwise they would not keep going or it is because they are so cheap people do not care. But when things go wrong, boy it can be a pain in the neck to get things sorted.
    i also myself not that fond of Talk Talk as a company, well I am not fond of their parent company or what was their parent company. they now have merged with Currys, but even then the same people got their hands in the pot.

Saying all of that I do know a couple of people who are happy with Talk Talk, and a lot that is not or was not happy.

As for a landline I have been without one for over 2 years, I been using a local company that does broadband over a wireless network and until recently it have been ok, but they are over loaded and the quality of the service is not what it once was.
    i know they are getting it updated , but it could be June or July and because I my video entertainment is all online with Netflix, I can not really wait that long.

But I will not knock them because they do a great service for people who can not get broadband and for them even 5Mb/s is fantastic.
    If they get their service working and if maybe they could offer a bit more speed for the price I would think about returning after my contract runs out for plusnet.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I moved from BT to TT a few years ago and cannot fault the service they have delivered to me and also friends and family who switched to them. I won't knock BT but the fact is they failed to solve connection issues I had and the switch to TT did indeed solve them.

I do pay extra for things like 'free' international calls and calls from my landline to mobile networks, it still works out as fantastic value for money.

That said I'm only loyal to good service, if TT messed me about I'd move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My problem with Plusnet was when I tried to leave them for another company.
    I have changed energy companies a number times and it is very easy.
    This should apply to phone/internet suppliers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My problem with Plusnet was when I tried to leave them for another company.
    I have changed energy companies a number times and it is very easy.
    This should apply to phone/internet suppliers.

That was one of the problems I had with BT, because at the time they had auto renewal of their phone service and trying to get out of it was a nightmare.
    I done it in the end, thankfully Auto renewal have been stopped, should never have been in the first place.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet is owned by BT, I understand it's their low cost sub division set up to enable them to compete with the other cut price suppliers so standards are very similar.

I've been with them several years now and the service is excellent - UK call centres with people who actually know what they're talking about. No of this read it off the computer crap and ask questions. The tech help advisor's generally know computers and networks and don't need to run through reams of pre-set questions, just simple diagnostic questions to help.

Only downside to Plusnet, is BT is constantly raising prices atm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet is owned by BT, I understand it's their low cost sub division set up to enable them to compete with the other cut price suppliers so standards are very similar.

I've been with them several years now and the service is excellent - UK call centres with people who actually know what they're talking about. No of this read it off the computer crap and ask questions. The tech help advisor's generally know computers and networks and don't need to run through reams of pre-set questions, just simple diagnostic questions to help.

They are still one of the cheapest apart from Talk Talk and Talk only works out cheaper over the first 18 months, after that it is not difference.
    I know that Talk Talk offers TV, mobile phone, international and landline to mobile phone calls all for a extra cost, but I do not want any of that.
    the few international calls i make I do so with skype, not interested in TV. I have already got a mobile phone and a sim only contract,

Customer service is pretty important to me, not that i want to use it, but if I have to, I want it to be good. My current provider, offers a great customer service, but it is only there in working hours, saying that if there is a problem out of hours they know about right away and get it sorted.

It is a shame that plusnet is part of BT, but at least they are pretty independent.
    We will see how it goes.

Mr BTOR man have been and sorted out phone line, now he have gone to the cabinet to connect fibre and he will be back to connect modem. He got to come back, he left his bag here. :)

We will see how it goes, interesting person to speak to and he seemed to like having a chat.
  • Options
    pinkprintpinkprint Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

that sounds heavenly to me, as i have been with talktalk for a year and they drive me absolutely loopy !!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »
    that sounds heavenly to me, as i have been with talktalk for a year and they drive me absolutely loopy !!!

They drove me loopy and I am not even with them and never have been. :)

My Fibre modem is now installed, blinking away and synced, but broadband is not working yet I don't think it will be until tomorrow after noon, going by the overview of my account,.
    That is fine i still have broadband for another 2 days from my old provider.

BTOR guy said it was synced at 70, which chocked me as I thought around here we would only get around 40Mb/s. But plusnet will put it to 38 anyway as that is all I have paid for. If I known different I may have upped the speed. Oh well, I do not need super high speed anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They drove me loopy and I am not even with them and never have been. :)

My Fibre modem is now installed, blinking away and synced, but broadband is not working yet I don't think it will be until tomorrow after noon, going by the overview of my account,.
    That is fine i still have broadband for another 2 days from my old provider.

BTOR guy said it was synced at 70, which chocked me as I thought around here we would only get around 40Mb/s. But plusnet will put it to 38 anyway as that is all I have paid for. If I known different I may have upped the speed. Oh well, I do not need super high speed anyway.

If your not with talktalk why do you derail pretty much any talktalk thread? You said you hated BT but have gone back to BT via plus net. You have also said many times you don't need faster FTTC but you have now done so:confused:
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinkprint wrote: »

Don't get me started on talktalk slow website to navigate, awful customer service i'm well shot of them.
    Just today i was trying to sort out getting talktalk tv for my sister and the site was so slow, my sister tried ringing them numerous times and they kept hanging up on her. She is moving to plusnet once her TT contract is up.
    I've been with plusnet for just under 6 months now and can honestly say i'm very happy with them, as for tv plusnet told me to watch this space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    If your not with talktalk why do you derail pretty much any talktalk thread? You said you hated BT but have gone back to BT via plus net. You have also said many times you don't need faster FTTC but you have now done so:confused:

Because Talk Talk bugs me, even if I have never been with them, they still bugs me. I have had so many waste of time chats with their customer service over the years on behalf of other people I feel like i have knocked my head against the wall thousands of times.

I do hate BT and yes I am aware that plusnet belongs to BT, but thankfully they are still set up as a separate company and chatting to their customer service when they confused me with the dates was fine. at least their accent is British and based in the UK not in Outer Mongolia or some place like that.

Plusnet was one of the better ones out of the larger suppliers at a price I am willing or able to pay at the moment. Believe me, if I had a choice I would have gone for one of the smaller providers. Plusnet is as close to BT as I want to be and that is a bit too close.

As for needing a faster speed, i don't need anything faster than what my old supplier should be providing me with, but since they are over subscribed, they are not coping very well at the moment and my speed can go from a great 11Mb/s down to half a meg certainly in the evening when i want it for Netflix. Try watching Netflix on a network where the speed keeps changing.
    I can not wait until July until they get it sorted, I can assure you if i could I would. They should have seen before that they was getting close to capacity and tried to get it sorted before.
    but saying that, they still offer a service for people who can not get broadband any other way and I am sure once they get things sorted and at the moment it is with BT to get the lease line up and running, they will return to their normal good service.
    I may even go back to them after 18 months

I have said before if my ADSL was around the 10Mb/s I would have stayed with ADSL and not even looked for another provider.

We will see how this goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Don't get me started on talktalk slow website to navigate, awful customer service i'm well shot of them.
    Just today i was trying to sort out getting talktalk tv for my sister and the site was so slow, my sister tried ringing them numerous times and they kept hanging up on her. She is moving to plusnet once her TT contract is up.
    I've been with plusnet for just under 6 months now and can honestly say i'm very happy with them, as for tv plusnet told me to watch this space.

Not bothered about TV, I do not watch TV anyway. As long as they don't bug me about Tv, then fine.

Speed is a bit iffy at the moment, but it takes up to ten days, it have gone up from 5Mb/s when it was first activated to about 20 now, that is fine for me, if it goes any faster then great, if not then I am not bothered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Offcom complaits about TT the last time I looked were (IIRC) around 0.26 per thousand customers.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bothered about TV, I do not watch TV anyway. As long as they don't bug me about Tv, then fine.

Speed is a bit iffy at the moment, but it takes up to ten days, it have gone up from 5Mb/s when it was first activated to about 20 now, that is fine for me, if it goes any faster then great, if not then I am not bothered.

I wont be taking tv if they do launch it, i'm quite happy with my xfinity login, netflix, hbogo and nbcsports aswell as the 4 catch up tv players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Offcom complaits about TT the last time I looked were (IIRC) around 0.26 per thousand customers.

They are getting better, I think maybe Fibre have something to do with that as they have little control over it, they also getting better with their customer service, Friend phoned them a couple of weeks ago disputing her bill, she said she spoke to someone with a English accent, and they sorted it out there and then.
    So that made her happy, she was dreading it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wont be taking tv if they do launch it, i'm quite happy with my xfinity login, netflix, hbogo and nbcsports aswell as the 4 catch up tv players.

I did not take anything I did not have to, just fibre, phoneline because i have no choice, which include evening and weekend calls and that is it. No extra needed or required.

I only stuck a cheap wired phone onto the phone line for Mr BT man to test, it will be taken off now as i will never use it.

If Plusnet does TV, I doubt it will be competitive with BT TV service, BT would not allow that. But you never know.

My sister in law was asking me about plusnet yesterday, they are on BT and the contract is coming to the end. They just want something cheaper as they don't use any of the extras on BT and she says they do not use the landline these days either.

At least it should be easy for them to change as they have already got fibre.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    I ended up with PlusNet as they took over / rebranded from a couple of earlier incarnations.

They have been very good. I was only getting about 6meg but that was sufficient for my needs.

At the turn of the year I starting experiencing regular drop-outs. Plusnet monitored the line and confirmed this and sent me a router (foc) to see if that would cure it but it didn't. So they then arranged an Open-reach engineer. They appeared at the appointed time and having realised that BT had probably never visited the property since the original install, (mid 70s) fitted a new master (test) socket with a built-in filter and moved it to the room where I have the computer, (It had been in the front porch).

I now get a reliable 10meg!:) (And a nice crisp phone line that was crackly before).

I think I have one of those technicolor modems, but my wi-fi is fine. It has to be as I listen to internet radio.

And you can get BT Sport cheap (about £6 I think) with Plusnet.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My upload speed almost halved yesterday & it's still the same today. Just 0.46Mbps compared to 0.81Mbps when the service started last Friday.

I'm still within the 10 day DLM period, so I'll wait to see how it goes.

I notice that the instructions with the router tell you to not switch it off over this 10 day period, which conflicts with the Plusnet support page, which tells you the exact opposite..."You can help the testing process by rebooting your router (switch it off and on again) three or four times over the first 10 days. You'll get better results if you can do this in the morning."

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/speed_basics.shtml#speedChanges