Is Johnny Depp really that good?

2»

Comments

• bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved him in Edward Scissorhands and also thought he was brilliant in Pirates of the Caribbean. But is he one of the best actors of his generation? Probably not.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I do think he was wonderful as Joe Pistone but he does tend to take on unconventional characters which probably do not appeal to the mainstream.
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he's not a particularly great actor, certainly not in the last 10 years.

He revels in oddball/strange characters where he can 'act' strangely and oddly, rather than any characters where theres a requirement for creating a 'normal' person who shows emotional range.

Theres many, many actors which I would feel better than him, Clooney, Pitt, DiCaprico, Gordon-Levitt, Tom Hardy to name but a few.
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember watching a poll on TV a few years ago and he came out as greatest or 2nd greatest actor of all time...ahead of De Niro, Pacino etc....:eek:

When I think about it, I've never been to the cinema to see nor purchased anything he's been in. Seen Edward Scissorhands and Chocolat on TV, which were both average AFAIAC...
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Remember watching a poll on TV a few years ago and he came out as greatest or 2nd greatest actor of all time...ahead of De Niro, Pacino etc....:eek:

The teen girl vote? :p
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Obviously none of you have seen Depp's absolutely superb performance in The Libertine.
  • LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I didn't rate him as a particularly noteworthy actor until Edward Scissorhands and most of the films he's done since then.
    Didn't rate him in 21 Jump St. :D
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Obviously none of you have seen Depp's absolutely superb performance in The Libertine.

I have, back in my megafan days when everything he did was gold in my eyes. Not so much now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pre-Pirates sequels I would have said yes.

But over the past five years all of his roles have been too similar or "kooky"
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggyman wrote: »

I have. Yes I have to say - he was brilliant in that :)
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's not a bad actor by any means. He's quite good.

But I agree that he's overrated when you compare him alongside some of the very good actors who are out there or who have been around for the last twenty or so years.

He has charm, charisma, and is quite engaging, but I wouldn't put him up there as a great actor. I just haven't seen him in a role that seems to demand that much of him or stretch his capabilities or emotional range as an actor.
  • musicjukebox123musicjukebox123 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me his greatest was What's Eating Gilbert Grape? he played the part underplayed but perfect and a great performance.
    I found Jack Sparrow annoying after the second film and i think like Jack Nicholson the Johnny Depp persona now comes into his every film/performance an extension of his personality and not soley the character
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think unfortunately he has gone off the boil in recent years with his film choices and people have forgotten how good he is. In his roles in the 90's, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and Donnie Brasco, he was fantastic.

A couple of people on this thread have said Clooney is better than him, I simply can't agree, and I like Clooney a lot!
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I often hold up Leo Di Caprio as an actor that I found patently unwatchable before. Now I have seen my mistake as his performance in Blood Diamond really impressed me and quite frankly, since then, he has gone from strength to strength. However can diCaprio pull off a J M Barrie in one film and a mad cannibalistic barber in another. Not so sure myself.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a huge fan of his but I liked Blow and Edward Scissorhands is his best ever.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leading man looks with the soul of a vaudvillean character actor-yes his choices might not please all, but i have a suspicion his best work is ahead of him.

And Brando-who was quite a good actor i hear-absolutely respected him;look at their scenes in DJ de Marco.marlon eschews his usual scene-stealing and effeectively jams with his co-star.