I think my laptop has a virus... please help

124»

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Google toolbar, I doubt it is causing your problem. I thought you said the cursor had stopped blinking ?
  • Scrufox86Scrufox86 Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LION8TIGER wrote: »
    Google toolbar, I doubt it is causing your problem. I thought you said the cursor had stopped blinking ?

Well I thought it had but I noticed it do it a few times since I said it had stopped. It isn't every 30 seconds now though. It just seems to be random.

Which is why I have been trying to sort out the start up programs as someone said it was probably the cause.

I did a sfc scan now in the command prompt and it came back clear with no violations earlier today.

Oh I don't know what is causing the cursor to blink. The laptop has no viruses etc. I might just have to put up with the blinking.
    Forum Member
    I think you have done this already but close all programs and do the following ....
    Right click taskbar, click task manager, click the processes tab and tick 'show processes from all users'. Maximise the page and look under the cpu heading for anything popping up and using the cpu.
    With nothing running 'tskmgr.exe' and 'System idle process' should be using cpu and maybe 'system' ..... is there anything else using much ?

Edit: it may be easier to have task manager running and minimized so you can quickly go to it when the blinking occurs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have done this already but close all programs and do the following ....
    Right click taskbar, click task manager, click the processes tab and tick 'show processes from all users'. Maximise the page and look under the cpu heading for anything popping up and using the cpu.
    With nothing running 'tskmgr.exe' and 'System idle process' should be using cpu and maybe 'system' ..... is there anything else using much ?

Edit: it may be easier to have task manager running and minimized so you can quickly go to it when the blinking occurs.

Ok I tried what you suggested. It didn't blink for a while and then when I opened explorer it blinked and the cpu usage went up quite high. But now it is opened it is only saying anything from 1-18% being used.

Another thing that happened just now. I tried to type in websites in the address bar and it kept coming up with an error page saying it couldn't connect to the website. I closed and re-opened explorer and it still did this. I tried in the google search bar and it went to the websites. What is going on with this now????

Oh and I can now type in the address bar and it works....

Very confusing.
    Forum Member
    It is normal for the cpu to spike up to 100% when opening a program but only for a second (or less).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is normal for the cpu to spike up to 100% when opening a program but only for a second (or less).

Oh ok. It did go back down after a few seconds.

I think what happened before may have been a temporary connection problem. I don't know I haven't seen the cursor blink for a while now. It doesn't seem to be as much since I disabled a lot of start up programs. I still think it is because I downloaded internet explorer 10 with that update though. But I read that there is no choice about having it as Microsoft made it compulsory in the update for windows 7 users.

I wonder if I may have to use system restore.... and possibly go back to IE9 (but as said how when Microsoft are making IE10 compulsory?)
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrufox86 wrote: »
    Oh ok. It did go back down after a few seconds.

I think what happened before may have been a temporary connection problem. I don't know I haven't seen the cursor blink for a while now. It doesn't seem to be as much since I disabled a lot of start up programs. I still think it is because I downloaded internet explorer 10 with that update though. But I read that there is no choice about having it as Microsoft made it compulsory in the update for windows 7 users.

I wonder if I may have to use system restore.... and possibly go back to IE9 (but as said how when Microsoft are making IE10 compulsory?)
    AFAIK IE10 is not compulsory. You can choose not to install the update.

Here's how to remove IE10:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Remove-IE10-and-Get-Back-to-IE9-on-Windows-7-308998.shtml
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    AFAIK IE10 is not compulsory. You can choose not to install the update.

I read that was only some trial version that was released last year sometime but that now it is being made compulsory for windows 7 users. I am only saying what I read. It came in an update but ever since last week I noticed the autocomplete thing was suggesting random websites and it made me think I had a browser hijacker. And now this cursor is blinking for no reason... well there is but I just don't know what reason. Oh why did IE have to be so annoying. I have been told before about just ditching it and downloading firefox because apparently it is better?

I've always stuck with Internet explorer as it came with the laptop. Never really had problems with it until this IE10.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that was only some trial version that was released last year sometime but that now it is being made compulsory for windows 7 users. I am only saying what I read. It came in an update but ever since last week I noticed the autocomplete thing was suggesting random websites and it made me think I had a browser hijacker. And now this cursor is blinking for no reason... well there is but I just don't know what reason. Oh why did IE have to be so annoying. I have been told before about just ditching it and downloading firefox because apparently it is better?

I've always stuck with Internet explorer as it came with the laptop. Never really had problems with it until this IE10.
    You can go into Programs and Feature, Installed Updates and remove IE10.
    Forum Member
    I have been told before about just ditching it and downloading firefox because apparently it is better?

There is no harm having another browser installed in fact it is a good idea. You don't have to use it as IE will still be there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You can go into Programs and Feature, Installed Updates and remove IE10.

Really? I always thought you couldn't uninstall it because it came with the laptop. But then I have read that if you uninstall a version it reverts to the one that was previously installed so in this case internet explorer 9.
    There is no harm having another browser installed in fact it is a good idea. You don't have to use it as IE will still be there.

At the moment I do have opera installed but I have not used it much. However this cursor blinking does it when not using internet explorer. And weirdly it is not doing it much. There are times when it does though. Like just now I opened the laptop and as it came back from being in sleep mode it did have the blue circle for a few seconds but then hasn't done it.

So I am wondering if the fact I stopped programs from running on start up may have helped with the less blinking cursor? If so then it proves it is the programs running that is the cause.