Options

iphone noob questions...

OneManTagTeamOneManTagTeam Posts: 3,943
Forum Member
✭✭✭
im sick of my vodafone contract so going to just cancel (hopefully, if they dont bugger it up as usual) & go back to o2.

the iphone looks interesting but wanted a few questions answered before deciding...

looked on a few threads but they tend to stray into "my phone's better than yours arguements"

1. Do you get a stylus to use with it, like the ds?

2. Is it really the full internet? e.g can i read hotmail, watch videos etc like you tube or south park from allabout-sp.net?

3. Do you get a cover with it? when i got my ipod nano, i got a wee protective slip case with it

4. Is it easy to use? i.e do you go into applications by accident? i have a u600 just now and keep deleting msgs by accident.

5. How big is it?

6. Is the £35 tarriff any good? im not a big mobile user but this phone sees interesting especially as my nano broke & if it has proper internet

sorry for all the questions!

thanks, mark

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im sick of my vodafone contract so going to just cancel (hopefully, if they dont bugger it up as usual) & go back to o2.

the iphone looks interesting but wanted a few questions answered before deciding...

looked on a few threads but they tend to stray into "my phone's better than yours arguements"

1. Do you get a stylus to use with it, like the ds?

2. Is it really the full internet? e.g can i read hotmail, watch videos etc like you tube or south park from allabout-sp.net?

3. Do you get a cover with it? when i got my ipod nano, i got a wee protective slip case with it

4. Is it easy to use? i.e do you go into applications by accident? i have a u600 just now and keep deleting msgs by accident.

5. How big is it?

6. Is the £35 tarriff any good? im not a big mobile user but this phone sees interesting especially as my nano broke & if it has proper internet

sorry for all the questions!

thanks, mark

1: No - fingers
    2: Yes - although it doesn't have flash so no video sites like that although their is a youtube app. It's full in so much as it's the same as safari on Macs, which I use everyday with no issues.
    3: No idea
    4: Yes - very
    5: About this big. Have a look at apple.com/uk
    6: It's not brilliant (or even good) but there are worse plans. If you make use of the data plan it may pay for itself but it's really a question of what your useage will be across the board. Personally I'm not a heavy phone user so would want the data most - that said, the vast majority of my daily locations have wi-fi so £35 for emergency data access (even if it were 3G) is excessive.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3: No you have to buy a case for it yourself. They do give you a charging cradle with it though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in my local store I looked a t a iphone. And I know theres no flash. IO looked at the bbc site it would not play the videos is sky news the same What sites can you play video clips your answer means ill get one
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably only ones that support quicktime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However you can download video podcasts via iTunes that play fine on the iPhone. For example, Sky News has one updated a couple of times a day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No but to be honest you don't need one, the screen seems almost unscratchable, I've not got a single scratch on it and I've had it since launch day.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing you would need a cover for is protection from dropping it. The screen is damn near unscratchable and the back is not the mirror-like nightmare of the iPod Classic.

I go raw though. No shield :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    The only thing you would need a cover for is protection from dropping it. The screen is damn near unscratchable and the back is not the mirror-like nightmare of the iPod Classic.

I go raw though. No shield :D

got mine yesterday and dropped mine yesterday!!
  • Options
    MarkyMarky Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i've had one since september, dropped it once getting out of the car, the screen is fine still, a couple of little scratches on the back, but nothing to worry about... its a great phone, no need for a case, as it will double the size, and a stylus won't work.. the screen is a proper touch screen, and responds to the moisture of a human finger..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I've been using one for quite a while. Brilliant little device, only a few things i would change, then it really would be the killer handset! Can we have a camera with a flash and some more megapixels, gps and a 3g modem please Mr. Jobs?

james
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Another question please. Is the free data wifi only or also on...erm ...the other way (don't know the tecchy term.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another question please. Is the free data wifi only or also on...erm ...the other way (don't know the tecchy term.

Thanks

Yes the unlimited data is GPRS/EDGE and wi-fi.
    02 T&Cs wrote:
    Data and Wi-Fi fair usage policy
    Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK's Edge/GPRS networks and The Cloud's UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card in any other device, or use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio/video content, enable P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers. If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Yes the unlimited data is GPRS/EDGE and wi-fi.

Thanks very much! Off to 02
  • Options
    LukeyboyLukeyboy Posts: 1,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting one for Christmas, I can't wait! :D