Options

Help on Three Contract!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi im thinking of getting a contract phone from here:

http://www.onestopphoneshop.co.uk/mobile-phones/sony%20eric./sek770i/three/mnm500

I would get the £18 plan which is 500mins & 500 texts.

If anyone has a contract and could help me out please with the following: :D

1. With Three can i go on any internet site on my phone? - I thought i seen somewhere that internet on 3 is limited - is that true?

2. If my coverage isnt good, do i have any right to cancel my contract? I've checked the coverage map on the three website and i seem to be near the border of the 3g video coverage area. I want to be in the 3g area to get high speed internet. If im not then there is not point getting a contract because i can at least get EDGE coverage with o2 at the moment.

3. Is onestopphoneshop reputable?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help ;)

Comments

• Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep the Internet is unlimited if you get the add on the 3 signal is very strong and from January it will be using t-mobile transmitters to make them even stronger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Im on the O2 simplicity tariiff at £20 a month 400mins 1000texts, Plus im not tied into a contract can cancel on a monthly basis.

Dont know if that helps you any??
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Answers to your questions.

1. Yes 3's Internet is fully open and available. It's £5 a month to use 1GB on the phone display or £10 a month for 1GB of phone and modem use on a laptop.

2. Coverage is quite variable on 3's network and I have found that Internet sevices can often be difficult even 1/2 a mile from a base station. Things will improve when they share with T-Mobile but it will take over a year to complete that work so if you find out the signal strength is not great where you are - don't risk having to wait! Also remember that when T-Mobile and 3 combine 3G coverage they will be decomissioning 5000 cellsites and who knows how each individual customer will be affected. Also remember if you are on a fringe area and in some buildings your voice calls will drop when 3's coverage becomes unusable and the handset roams to Orange. (You wont notice any problem with data use though as it is packet switched). 3 has the latest version of 3G (HSDPA) which can suppossedly deliver up to 2.8Mb/s but the best I have managed sitting 50 yards from a transmitter is about 750Kb/s which is not bad for browsing the net. There is NO 14 day trial period. If you use the handset to make or receive a call or take a photo or video you are locked into the contract for the full term.

3. OSPS is part of The Carphone Warehouse but recently all the best deals on 3 have been direct so check out their website and use the on-line chat facility to get a voucher code for some extra value :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi
    thanks very much for your help everyone :D

i think i might just wait until the coverage gets better, no way im risking a contract, and then find out that i dont get good 3g coverage :(

i do get 3g coverage though where i live - but im not sure its very good. my brother did have a '3' phone before but i remembered that it used to switch to 2g a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3. OSPS is part of The Carphone Warehouse but recently all the best deals on 3 have been direct so check out their website and use the on-line chat facility to get a voucher code for some extra value :)[/QUOTE]

hi well the deal on OSPS is only £15 a month for 300mins/texts or £18 a month for 500mins/texts.

On the three website you have to pay an extra £3 monthly to get the k770i phone.

Also i did use the online chat facility to find out about the coverage but it wasnt that helpful.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a04188 wrote: »
    hi
    thanks very much for your help everyone :D

i think i might just wait until the coverage gets better, no way im risking a contract, and then find out that i dont get good 3g coverage :(

i do get 3g coverage though where i live - but im not sure its very good. my brother did have a '3' phone before but i remembered that it used to switch to 2g a lot.

If your brother's phone did swich a lot and you rely on yours for voice calls then it really is not worth the risk. It's often said that newer handsets perform better holding the 3G signal but I have two of 3's latest offerings and whilst they are a bit better than others from a few years ago they still drop calls when they switch to roaming. This does not happen when you use a network that has it's own 3G/GSM networks (Voda/T-Mobile/02/Orange) as they do switch seamlessly between services.

Go with whoever has the best signal in your area I think. (PS for data Vodafone has HSDPA with up to 7.2Mb/s - bit pricey just now though).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go to Three, download Opera Mini onto your phone as your web browser.

I get far more web content using Opera. I can even get hotmail through www.live.co.uk.

A tip - if Opera doesn't load onto your phone, try downloading it to the phone's memory card if it has one. It worked for me.

Three is supposed to be getting the N95 8gb in Feb 2008 according to their local store.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tn2000 wrote: »
    If you go to Three, download Opera Mini onto your phone as your web browser.

I get far more web content using Opera. I can even get hotmail through www.live.co.uk.

A tip - if Opera doesn't load onto your phone, try downloading it to the phone's memory card if it has one. It worked for me.

Three is supposed to be getting the N95 8gb in Feb 2008 according to their local store.

i have opera ... its amazing :D

i use it on o2 currently and its not bad with edge but unlimited internet with o2 costs 7.50 a month on top of my £10-£20 a month for my 300-500 texts and calls. Hence i want a contract...
  • Options
    chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you could go on 3 pay as you go its like contract now all phones available you wont be stuck with a contract. http://www.three.co.uk/personal/price_plans_/pay_as_you_go_/what_it_costs.omp