Options

Is it natural to feel so sad?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
Forum Member
I had two beautiful tom cats, they were twins, however, I had to have one of my cats put to sleep a couple of months ago. I had them inoculated and thought that they were immune to all ailments so when I took pity on a stray outside I and let it into the house I thought it wouldn't hurt.

My one tom became very ill the vet thinks the stray gave my lovely cat FIP, apparently you can not inoculate against it. I have never heard of it before.

I feel really upset. I know it is only a cat but I feel like I have lost a relative. Horrible.

Comments

• Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I ask myself that now, 4 months after my own cat died. I always knew it would be hard losing my cat but the feeling of sadness affects me like no human death ever has.

I'm really sorry for you. I know you feel guilty taking in a stray cat which may have led to your cat's illness and death but you weren't to know, you were being kind. Have you considered talking to a pet counsellor? It's good to express your thoughts and grief and they can help with coping mechanisms.

Lots of people here state how they grieve more intensely for their pets. I think it's because our pets are so dependent on us and look to us to make them better - but we often can't help them :( Humans have more understanding of what is happening when they are ill and dying.

I am sure you gave your cat a very good 12 years and he won't have blamed you for his illness. You and he were just terribly unlucky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the kind and understanding reply. You are right I do feel guilty. He was a very happy and healthy cat but that changed when I took in the stray. He was the most timid of the two toms and found the new cats presence very stressful

The vet said because he was stressed he was susceptible to the infection - probably. The vet also said that older cats do not usually develop it because having developed a natural immunity to it. Just unlucky I guess.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    I'm still sad about my kittycat dying, he died a year ago. but I'm happy in the knowledge that he's not in pain any more, and I buried him in my mum's garden and planted a tree over him - so to me he lives on forever in that tree ^_^

It's always tough losing a pet, especially because they're always more than just pets - they're friends.

Sorry for your loss, but try to remember the happy times.
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is completely natural and normal. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

We all go in the end, even animals, it was her/his time to go and the chain of events was the lead upto it..

Don't feel guilty, you were not to know..

My Rat Winky passed away not so long ago. The house feels so empty, she left such a massive impression on us....but that is life....

in the end, we are all animals...and Cats, dogs, rats, etc all have feelings just like us, but cannot express them as much as we do, so sometimes we think.."its only a rat"...but it is just like us, a living breathing creature of this Earth, just like you and me...

Feel sad, cry if you have to, let it out and but rest assure you are not to blame for what happened....

Take Care

Peace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lost my Gini 3 years on the 28th July and i still cry and get very sad when i think of her .. My friend said i should grow up and it was only a dog .. But she was more than to us a family member.. I now have 3 dogs and still miss here ,,

I have a plaque on her grave "Pets leave paw prints on our hearts forever missed"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I am glad I posted on here I have found your words very comforting:)
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No such thing as 'only a cat' they are family members, ovcourse it's normal to feel like that.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is natural to feel so sad. I lost my beloved little cat eighteen months ago and I still get upset on at least one occasion every day. I am not really in a position to have another cat at the moment, so make do with my fourteen year old mad spaniel while he is still with us.

No pet is 'only a pet', you love and miss them as much you do a human
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,579
    Forum Member
    Awww I am so sorry for your loss, and please try not to feel guilty about the stray, you are obviously a very loving pet owner and took pity on the homeless cat. You were never to know what the outcome was going to be. bless.

And never, ever feel guilty for your grief. It is raw and hurts like hell. Everyone of us on here can vouch for that feeling. I had my Percy PTS 3 years ago this September, and although I can now speak openly about him, if I allow the memories of that day and the feelings and grief that I felt that day seep back into my mind I am a tearful wreck, even after 3 years. When he went I cried and cried, far more than I ever have for a human. He was my life and I loved him so much. It got to the point where I felt as though I couldn't tell anyone other than my hubby that I still cried months after he went because I felt I should have been over it, but I know and people will agree, I will never, ever get over the loss of him, and the feelings and grielf which went with that decision. Although it is the the kindest and most loving decision you can ever make for your pet, it still hurts so much.

<<hugs>>
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anonimouse wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I am glad I posted on here I have found your words very comforting:)

Don't forget to SMILE

Take care of yourself....

peace
  • Options
    brillopadbrillopad Posts: 3,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat died over 30 years ago and I never had another one - I visit the pets forum as it reminds me of the fun times I had with my Mog.