Flop albums you love

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Several of the ones mentioned in this thread - Saturdays, Rachel Stevens, Little Boots, Britney. Also Sugababes Catfights and Spotlights.Also Holly Valance State of Mind - was that a flop as well?
  • ~Jane~~Jane~ Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Real Girl - Mutya Buena
    Wordshaker - The Saturdays
    Brave - Jennifer Lopez
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    The Saturdays - Wordshaker
    Little Boots - Hands
    Paris Hilton - Paris :o
    Sugababes - Catfights and Spotlights (actually one of my favourite albums ever :D)
  • Vardon78Vardon78 Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Janet Jackson - Damita Jo (completely underrated and overshadowed by the Superbowl controversy)
    Kylie Minogue - X
  • chanellexchanellex Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Saturdays - Wordshaker (bound to climb again though)
    Mutya Buena - Real Girl
    Michelle Williams - Unexpected
    Rihanna - Rated R
    Britney Spears - Blackout
    Beverley Knight - 100%
    Anastacia - Heavy Rotation
    Sugababes - Catfights & Spotlights (love this, especially Sunday Rain)
    Jordin Sparks - Battlefield
    Amerie - Because I love it
    Kelis - Kelis was here
    David Guetta - Pop Life

:)
  • RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kylie Minogue's one which I think is just eponymously titled (the one where's she kneeling in front of some rainbow-coloured cone thing on the cover), with 'Some Kind Of Bliss', 'Did It Again' and 'Breathe' on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jordin Sparks - Battlefiled (did that flop?), she does well here though seeing as she doesn't do any promotion (except singing on The Paul O'Grady Show). Get her on the X Factor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    elena wrote: »
    Agreed. But I think her problems were made worse when she initially blamed her band for the mistake, when they'd actually tried to help cover it up... :o

yeah, true.
  • If_U_Seek_AmyIf_U_Seek_Amy Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Britney - Blackout...one of the best pop albums ever!!!

Released right at the height of her downfall which meant it was totally overshadowed by what was going on in her life, especially after she was sectioned!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Amerie's 'Because I Love It'. Thought it was a wicked album nut it dodn't do well anywhere I don't think.

I saw her first album in a pound shop a few weeks ago!!
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Village Green preservation society,, done absolut shocking business but is one of the best albums ever made and 30 years later everyone still loves it :cool:
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Madonna - American Life. Although it charted well and sold respectful amounts, it's still considered a flop. It's one of my favourite Madonna albums along with Erotica

Garbage - Beautifulgarbage
    Janet - Damita Jo (If only for Sexhibition :D)
    Melanie C - Beautiful Intention (You'll Get Yours is my favourite Mel C song ever!! She is so underated and it's a shame)
    Kylie - Impossible Princess. (I'm glad somebody else has mentioned this too :p)
    Gwen Stefani - The Sweet Escape (I don't know whether this counts or not. It didn't chart hightly, but i think it has sold pretty well over time)

I also wouldn't count Britneys Blackout as a flop!
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pitman wrote: »
    Village Green preservation society,, done absolut shocking business but is one of the best albums ever made and 30 years later everyone still loves it :cool:

When I have money again, I'm definitely buying this, and similar period Kinks stuff. I heard some of it in a record shop a couple of years back and couldn't believe how really very very good it was.

Also:

Rachel Stevens - Come And Get It (stunningly good pop album)
    The Associates - Perhaps (off-kilter, dramatic euro pop)
    David Devant And His Spirit Wife - Shiney On The Inside (great songs, very Bowie)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    musicdude wrote: »
    What albums out there have flopped (in terms of sales, don't be fooled by position) which you actually really enjoyed and still like today.

For me it has to be

Britney - Blackout
    Paris Hilton - Paris
    Joss Stone - Introducing Joss Stone
    Natasha Bedingfield - NB
    Sophie Ellis Bextor - Trip the light fantastic
    Mutya Buena - Real Girl
    Jordin Sparks - Battlefield
    Taio Cruz - Departure
    Ashlee Simpson - Bittersweet world
    Gavin DeGraw - Gavin DeGraw
    Shontelle - Shontelligence
    Flo Rida - ROOTS
    Jesse McCartney - Departure

It got to No.2 in the UK and the US.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dephanix02 wrote: »
    The one which always stands out in my head is

Rachel Stevens - Come & Get It

Yes, I love Come & Get It too - couldn't believe it didn't do well when it was released. It's one of my favourite albums!

Wordshaker by The Saturdays too. It really surprises me that these two fantastic pop albums weren't particularly successful! :confused: But I suppose that leaves more for the people who do appreciate them! :D

Can't think of any others right now as I'm not really an album buyer, but if I can think of more I'll add them later. :)
  • SuperstokedSuperstoked Posts: 1,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, add me to the list, Rachels "Come And Get It" album is really good.
    "Every Little Thing", "So Good" and "Crazy Boys" can run rings around anything Chavyl Cole flings at the public.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    The "flop" albums most note arent really flops Blackout shifted a million in the US and spawned several big selling singles.

Wordshaker, whilst underperforming at the moment still has time to rebound, only 1 of 4/5 releases have come off it.

A flop would be something for example like Norah Jones who sold millions and got to #1 whilst her new album just about made the top 40
  • x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travis Ode To J Smith
    Deepest Blue - Late September - Great album
    Basement Jaxx -Scars
    Ladyhawke - Ladyhawke
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was an early seventies band called 'Hard stuff'. (John Du-Cann, ex atomic rooster, was the guitarist, along with Paul Hammond from rooster,who was the drummer. Johhny Gustavson, who later played with Roxy Music, was the bassist).
    They did, imo, a fantastic hard rock/metal album called 'bulletproof', but it didn't set the charts alight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    All We Know Is Falling - Paramore
    RIOT! - Paramore
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nate1970 wrote: »
    When I have money again, I'm definitely buying this, and similar period Kinks stuff. I heard some of it in a record shop a couple of years back and couldn't believe how really very very good it was

Face to Face, Something Else, Village Green, Arthur, Lola, Muswell Hillbillies, best runs of albums in pop history, indisputable fact :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like alot of non-commercial acts so even though they haven't sold hundreds of thousands or remaining in the album charts for months they were never expected to so i don't think of them as flops. nor would their record companies. Examples include :
    Roisin Murphy - Overpowered
    Bjork - Probably all her albums
    Tori Amos - As above
    Tracey Thorn - out of the Woods
    Brett Anderson

I could go on.

In terms of albums which were expected to be huge but weren't i'd say Janets last 3 albums and Kelis - Kelis Was here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    pharoah wrote: »
    I like alot of non-commercial acts so even though they haven't sold hundreds of thousands or remaining in the album charts for months they were never expected to so i don't think of them as flops. nor would their record companies. Examples include :
    Roisin Murphy - Overpowered
    Bjork - Probably all her albums
    Tori Amos - As above
    Tracey Thorn - out of the Woods
    Brett Anderson

I could go on.

In terms of albums which were expected to be huge but weren't i'd say Janets last 3 albums and Kelis - Kelis Was here

I love Björk. Her albums have always done quite well in the UK:

Debut: 3 - Platinum
    Homogenic: 4 - Gold
    Vespertine: 8 - Silver
    Medúlla: 9 - Silver
    Volta: 7 - Silver

It's her singles which get nowhere, which is why people don't really hear about her much in the chart.
  • Mr. E!Mr. E! Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SIA - Colour the small one - Extremely talented but criminally underrated singer!!!
  • caren197caren197 Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of my favourite albums were flops lol.

Amerie- Touch
    Ciara- The Evolution (don't even think this got a proper release in the uk)
    Britney- Blackout
    Ashanti- Concrete Rose
    Christina Milian- So Amazin'
    Danity Kane- Welcome To The Dollhouse

Prob more i can't remember