How are you supposed to enjoy parties?

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
If you can't dance and can't talk to people in that 'small talk not saying anything but we're having fun' way?

If you don't get up and dance people think you're a 'stick in the mud'. If you do dance they think you're weird.

Or you end up being ignored by the 'in crowd' because you can't have their type of fun e.g. inane chat and end up with the other weirdos pretending you are not really alone.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valium works.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't been to a party in years, but I always spent them in the kitchen... looking after any cheesecakes that may have been left alone in there.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcohol works wonders.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Valium works.

Not for me.

At best I just end up zombie-fied.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I haven't been to a party in years, but I always spent them in the kitchen... looking after any cheesecakes that may have been left alone in there.

Are you Jona Lewie?:D
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm always in the kitchen looking for intellectual conversation. Dancing madly whilst some bloke with bad breath tries to grope me isn't my scene :o:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »

Yes the few parties I've been to, I've preferred to find a quiet corner and chat to people.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of people agree with you and dont enjoy parties for the reasons you state.
    What gets me is when I have connected with someone, having a nice chat - and some rude idiot comes straight in, interrupting, not giving me any eye contact, and starts talking to the other person as if I dont exist and am not a relevant human being.

Gave up on parties years ago and know that I'm not missing much. Not one for small talk and being superficial I'm a one to one person - not a socialite, we are all different, thank goodness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    quatro wrote: »
    Lots of people agree with you and dont enjoy parties for the reasons you state.
    What gets me is when I have connected with someone, having a nice chat - and some rude idiot comes straight in, interrupting, not giving me any eye contact, and starts talking to the other person as if I dont exist and am not a relevant human being.

Gave up on parties years ago and know that I'm not missing much. Not one for small talk and being superficial I'm a one to one person - not a socialite, we are all different, thank goodness.

Yes that's only happened a few times to me (a few because I haven't been to that many parties).

I'm not keen on all the social etiquette about who you are meant to chat to and not to.

I saw a party on Peep Show where they had a group of girls and you just know that unless you were the alpha male you were not meant to talk to them. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that's only happened a few times to me (a few because I haven't been to that many parties).

I'm not keen on all the social etiquette about who you are meant to chat to and not to.

I saw a party on Peep Show where they had a group of girls and you just know that unless you were the alpha male you were not meant to talk to them. :(

You can talk to anyone, I wouldn't go by what happens on Peep show :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can talk to anyone, I wouldn't go by what happens on Peep show :D

Well I normally go by what happens on 'Revenge of the Nerds'.
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drugs help. Take a bag of coke to a party and watch your popularity soar.
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Drink and drink and drink go out for biff and you just go with flow.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't think about it, you just do...

Oh and plenty of booze helps.
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate the touchy feely people you get at parties. People who insist on getting too close to you and hugging you at new year.

I'm not a hugging sort of person, I don't like it when people invade my personal space.If I know them very well or it's my bf then obviously that's different. But it makes me feel awkward and nervous when people come too close.

I generally don't like parties. If it's a party where people come over, watch some films, have something to eat and drink, then that's ok. I don't like parties where you have a lot of people you don't know, and you're expected to talk, drink and stand/sit around all night long. It's very boring and I find myself getting very tired and just wanting to go home. You can drink and I guess the time is more pleasant but I'm not a big drinker anymore, so it's not much of an option for me.

Don't want to sound like i'm an old misery guts, but social situations have never been my strong point. I need to be mentally stimulated, and be actively doing something. I'm the sort of person who gets bored very easily.