The Speakmans

124»

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could see where Nik was coming from though. She claimed one of the main reasons she feared dogs was because of the way that they look but yet she could still view pictures of them. I think, like with the other people they've treated, it was intended to highlight how irrational her thoughts were. Dogs don't look different in real life to how they look in photos so if you're not scared of looking at them in one of those contexts, you shouldn't be scared of looking at them in the other.

I suppose so. I find it confusing, what we're meant to take away from it.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    Todays show was even more bizarre than usual - the girl with the dog phobia, she wasn't thought of as genuinely phobic of dogs at all because she wouldn't mind looking at photos of dogs, which Nik said a real phobic would run a mile from? (because everyone is exactly the same after all(!)) :confused:

Sounds like complete nonsense to me. When confronted with a photograph of anything, no matter how horrific the subject matter, you know it is just a piece of paper. The corollary is saying you would fine in a real military battle because you could watch Saving Private Ryan.

Sounds like a right charlatan to me. Surely you need professional qualifications to treat these phobias, even if some of them do sound a bit fanciful.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day?! I asked for clarification, do they genuinely only spend one day with each person, or just one days worth of filming perhaps? but they haven't replied. I'm sorry but if its one day per person filming or not, I don't believe you can permanently overcome a life long fear or phobia in one day. Maybe the thing is im thinking of my self confidence/low self esteem and slight depression, rather than a specific phobia - perhaps its different with phobias than such general things like confidence and depression? I don't know. I'd love to be proven wrong that you can get over things so quickly but my head is telling me its just not like that.

I think what I'm taking from the show is that a phobia in the people's minds (I don't know exactly as I don't have any but I have fears) but a phobia literally convinces them their life is danger and that would put their body into a fight or flight mode so they've be thinking they're going to die, so the panic attacks and shaking starts.

Where as a fear or a situation just sort of makes you feel uncomfortable and for me I'd hate it but I could still do it, I beleive I could do survive it, I wouldn't think I was going to literally die or be hurt if I do that thing. So when these people have a phobia it looks like they just change them enough that they stop thinking that they're going to die if they come in contact with the fear so I can believe that is possible.

The girl today with the dogs had never touched a dog but was at the end of the day so it obviously is working and that is a big deal if you consider she never stroked a dog like that. But again her life isn't really in danger from dogs and logically once she figured that out I think it's true that would be gone.

But fears of situations and things like that are different and since they don't cause real panic they can stay around longer because I can relate when I watch the show to having fears but actual phobia's seem slightly more intense.

When I watched todays and the girl said it was since she was 4 and it reminded me of my niece who's 5 now and she was afraid of my guitar the first few times she saw it and I tried to show it to her but the noise scared her and she ran away but after a few days I showed her how it worked more and let her touch it and use it an now when she comes to my house she sits and strums it...I think it's sort of natural to have apprehension at first about things even when you're a kid, so I guess this girl had some fear of dogs but never confronted it when she young and her brain kept her in that thought pattern.

I'm going to bare that in mind when it comes to new things in future because logically making something ok seems like it changes everything!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what I'm taking from the show is that a phobia in the people's minds (I don't know exactly as I don't have any but I have fears) but a phobia literally convinces them their life is danger and that would put their body into a fight or flight mode so they've be thinking they're going to die, so the panic attacks and shaking starts.

Where as a fear or a situation just sort of makes you feel uncomfortable and for me I'd hate it but I could still do it, I beleive I could do survive it, I wouldn't think I was going to literally die or be hurt if I do that thing. So when these people have a phobia it looks like they just change them enough that they stop thinking that they're going to die if they come in contact with the fear so I can believe that is possible.

The girl today with the dogs had never touched a dog but was at the end of the day so it obviously is working and that is a big deal if you consider she never stroked a dog like that. But again her life isn't really in danger from dogs and logically once she figured that out I think it's true that would be gone.

But fears of situations and things like that are different and since they don't cause real panic they can stay around longer because I can relate when I watch the show to having fears but actual phobia's seem slightly more intense.

When I watched todays and the girl said it was since she was 4 and it reminded me of my niece who's 5 now and she was afraid of my guitar the first few times she saw it and I tried to show it to her but the noise scared her and she ran away but after a few days I showed her how it worked more and let her touch it and use it an now when she comes to my house she sits and strums it...I think it's sort of natural to have apprehension at first about things even when you're a kid, so I guess this girl had some fear of dogs but never confronted it when she young and her brain kept her in that thought pattern.

I'm going to bare that in mind when it comes to new things in future because logically making something ok seems like it changes everything!

I guess that makes sense. When I was a child, I was scared of balloons because of the noise they made when popped but I had noise sensitivity and saw an occupational therapist to help with that. I also couldn't stand the noise of a hoover and had to listen to a cassette tape of those noises, a little bit every day, until I became desensitised from it and could at least stay in the same room as the noise. Even so, I still feel nervous if I'm in an enclosed room and a load of balloons are released or something, as I'd worry they might be popped. Its a bit ridiculous but there you go. It doesn't ruin my life or anything, I just feel very uncomfortable if I see people pulling or messing about with balloons(!).

I'm such a fun kind of a person eh?! lol *shrug*
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like a right charlatan to me. Surely you need professional qualifications to treat these phobias, even if some of them do sound a bit fanciful.

I actually did thought of that one time, however this is old fashion thinking. These days you have NLP and Hypnotherapy.

Even the world renowned life coach Tony Robbins doesn't have a professional qualification and he's successful.

Infact he helped someone to get over their stuttering.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess that makes sense. When I was a child, I was scared of balloons because of the noise they made when popped but I had noise sensitivity and saw an occupational therapist to help with that. I also couldn't stand the noise of a hoover and had to listen to a cassette tape of those noises, a little bit every day, until I became desensitised from it and could at least stay in the same room as the noise. Even so, I still feel nervous if I'm in an enclosed room and a load of balloons are released or something, as I'd worry they might be popped. Its a bit ridiculous but there you go. It doesn't ruin my life or anything, I just feel very uncomfortable if I see people pulling or messing about with balloons(!).

I'm such a fun kind of a person eh?! lol *shrug*

I think you might qualify for the next series with that!!

I was browsing twitter and the girl who was on today was tweeting their praises and said they changed her life, so that's someone maybe other people who were treated are on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/charlot90674561

Martin - I think it's more important you trust someone whether they're qualified or not, how many times as our friends and family helped us etc or there are plenty of people with qualifications I don't trust, I guess it's just more a law thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow #TheSpeakmans Amanda's nearly died 5 times. Her phobia of medicine is killing her as she's been on dialysis 25 yrs & needs a kidney

https://twitter.com/the_speakmans/status/494578784285519872

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you might qualify for the next series with that!!

I was browsing twitter and the girl who was on today was tweeting their praises and said they changed her life, so that's someone maybe other people who were treated are on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/charlot90674561

Martin - I think it's more important you trust someone whether they're qualified or not, how many times as our friends and family helped us etc or there are plenty of people with qualifications I don't trust, I guess it's just more a law thing.

Thats good to hear - I hope it stays that way for her :) it was disturbing to hear of her making her breasts bleed :(

nah I wouldnt qualify lol well some of my fears/phobias might but the balloon one isnt really something that affects me in day to day life, its just something im a bit squeamish about. I have phobias of using the phone (though I've worked on that a little bit) and probably more worrying for me realistically is my hypercondria, worrying about things I spot and not liking going to the doctor - I'll leave it until I know its unavoidable :blush: having said that I have already been to see a doctor about 4 times this year so far, so its not like I never go.
    There's that plus the confidence issues and more general stuff, blah.

Trust must be very important, if you dont believe in what their telling you, then how can you really take it in and change the thought patterns that are making you fearful/scared?.
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what you mean, I recall I attended a class on trading the financial markets and one of the instructors revealed that some of the author who wrote books on trading have never traded in lives.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know quite a few people who don't like balloons, you are not alone Izzy.so don't worry.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like complete nonsense to me. When confronted with a photograph of anything, no matter how horrific the subject matter, you know it is just a piece of paper. The corollary is saying you would fine in a real military battle because you could watch Saving Private Ryan.

That's not the same thing at all.

Finding blood and gore scary in real life but not via a photo or movie is more of a similar comparison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats good to hear - I hope it stays that way for her :) it was disturbing to hear of her making her breasts bleed :(

nah I wouldnt qualify lol well some of my fears/phobias might but the balloon one isnt really something that affects me in day to day life, its just something im a bit squeamish about. I have phobias of using the phone (though I've worked on that a little bit) and probably more worrying for me realistically is my hypercondria, worrying about things I spot and not liking going to the doctor - I'll leave it until I know its unavoidable :blush: having said that I have already been to see a doctor about 4 times this year so far, so its not like I never go.
    There's that plus the confidence issues and more general stuff, blah.

Trust must be very important, if you dont believe in what their telling you, then how can you really take it in and change the thought patterns that are making you fearful/scared?.

The balloon stuff is sort of logical though because it's an unexpected uncontrollable noise and the same can be said of phones, you can't control when someone is going to ring.

Maybe if you implement some of the Speakman techniques it might help you work on it a little bit.
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Finding blood and gore scary in real life but not via a photo or movie is more of a similar comparison.

I find it quite funny that that comparison is made on a tv forum where everyone here watches disturbing stuff, if it were traumatizing then we'd all be traumatized by the amount of murders, abuse, bullying, fear and disturbing images that are shown every day but we all continue to see these things without being affected because we're safe behind a tv, like a picture isn't real either so it's safe to look at.

Looking forward to the next episode anyway, I wonder if it will get another series as I only started watching it this week so I'll need to catch up. It's a good concept but ITV don't tend to make the most of their original shows.
  • Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Where was that place with the transparent lift? I was only half paying attention but when I saw it, I thought 'ive never seen a lift like that in my life'!.

They're two of the most peculiar people I've ever seen. Mind you, so are a lot of TV people! (I believe the lift is at the National Football Museum somewhere in Manchester.)

This episode annoyed me somewhat - I also suffer from claustrophobia and get what they were saying about having control and locks being on the inside, etc. But they didn't address the problem she had with trains/planes and you have no control at all over those. I am OK with trains but haven't been on a plane since the 1980's. And lifts make me shudder, transparent or not. This is drastically over-simplifying the therapy process.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though this is edited I have to admit that if they say they can do something then show the person doing it at the end, they've achieved what they claimed they could do, especially when in situations like the girl today who hadn't taken medication in 25 years was putting a pill in her mouth on camera and had been medicating since. I can't really fault that, the evidence is there.

How they got there and achieved it could be worth expanding on but I think the idea o the show is to give people a glimpse into the possibility of curing a phobia because even people with phobia's watching won't be cured watching the show, they'll have to go and get help and find out it takes more than an hour.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That woman has a new party trick, the crowd were loving watching her popping pills. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though this is edited I have to admit that if they say they can do something then show the person doing it at the end, they've achieved what they claimed they could do, especially when in situations like the girl today who hadn't taken medication in 25 years was putting a pill in her mouth on camera and had been medicating since. I can't really fault that, the evidence is there.

How they got there and achieved it could be worth expanding on but I think the idea o the show is to give people a glimpse into the possibility of curing a phobia because even people with phobia's watching won't be cured watching the show, they'll have to go and get help and find out it takes more than an hour.

Thats a good point - I hadn't really considered that. Its fine to give hope to others, as long as they can pursue it and hopefully achieve what others apparently have, for themselves.

I hope that girl managed to get a kidney and it wasn't rejected(!).
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Which, ironically, was precisely my point. :D
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ess_Bee wrote: »
    They're two of the most peculiar people I've ever seen. Mind you, so are a lot of TV people! (I believe the lift is at the National Football Museum somewhere in Manchester.)

This episode annoyed me somewhat - I also suffer from claustrophobia and get what they were saying about having control and locks being on the inside, etc. But they didn't address the problem she had with trains/planes and you have no control at all over those. I am OK with trains but haven't been on a plane since the 1980's. And lifts make me shudder, transparent or not. This is drastically over-simplifying the therapy process.

Very, very, very peculiar people. :o. Anyone could do their job. :D. Keep saying the same thing to your "patient" over and over again and put a bit more emphasis in each time. Hugs and kisses. Job done.
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    Ess_Bee wrote: »

I agree; I also thought that was a bit odd. Of course, it's brilliant if that has resonated with the lady and cured her, but with claustrophobia generally, it's more than that. There will be scenarios in life where you do not have any control, and you cannot simply 'unlock the door'. It's one of the main reasons why I am frightened to go on a plane because once that door shuts, you are in until you reach your destination.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What lady are you's talking about? The one who's sister had been murdered got on a plane as they showed that at the end of the episode so they must have helped with that. But I think you mean the older lady who has locked in the room to stop sleepwalking, if she didn't go on a plane, then they can't really report back on that.

The guy from today was great, the only thing I didn't like was when they were all eating cakes and buns, I've heard before that in parts of the World were people aren't eating a diet of processed foods, if the were to be fed our type of food they would probably spit it out too as their body wouldn't be used to it.

So, I would have thought it would have been better for him to continue with the pineapples and fruit that are purer but they sat him down in front of a load of cakes...just seems like a harder challenge to eat than a pineapple of something, hopefully he can move on from that though and eat what he likes.

Looking on twitter today, the sister of the guy from today's is tweeting about how the Speakmans are amazing people and her brother is getting better and better since the show.
  • emjemj Posts: 6,737
    Forum Member
    What lady are you's talking about? The one who's sister had been murdered got on a plane as they showed that at the end of the episode so they must have helped with that. But I think you mean the older lady who has locked in the room to stop sleepwalking, if she didn't go on a plane, then they can't really report back on that.

Yes, I was meaning the older lady who was locked in her room as a child. I got the impression that she became frightened following her childhood experience because she did not have any control over the lock on the door to get herself out. Therefore, telling her that she does have control now will logically make her feel more at ease, but I just wonder about scenarios where she would still not have control as an adult i.e. a plane, a train etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed on todays show, it said at the end that they were still offering on-going support to Ross, as he is/was still having issues eating some food I think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which, ironically, was precisely my point. :D

Yes, but you expressed it incorrectly. Enjoying watching SPR meaning you'll be good in a military battle isn't quite the same thing. :D