Options

External hard drive wiped??

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just noticed that quite a lot of my pictures on the external hard drive have gone. I can still see them in the folders but when I click on the folder to open it, nothing is there. Is there anyway of getting them back?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't worked, it said it had recovered over 6000 files but then they wouldn't open. Any other things I can try?
  • Options
    Eye SeaEye Sea Posts: 4,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »
    It hasn't worked, it said it had recovered over 6000 files but then they wouldn't open. Any other things I can try?

You could take it to a computer shop that deals with repairs and the suchlike.

As long as you don't mind others looking at your pics.

Do a Google, see if there's any software that might help retrieve the pics.:)
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean there is absolutely nothing happening at all when you double click on a picture or is Windows asking you what programme you would like to open them in?

If you go into the drive in My Computer and select Details view what do you see in the Size column? If everything is just zero then the file system could be corrupt. Which it could be anyway.

If you are using XP then try running CHKDSK on the drive. (not sure if it's the same in Vista). Open a command prompt and type

CHKDSK X:

then press Enter. Change the X to whatever drive letter the external drive is (don't omit the colon though). If that reports errors then try

CHKDSK X: /F

again change the X to whatever your drive letter is. This will attempt to fix any file system errors. If you are lucky that will get things back.
  • Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try plugging the external drive into another PC or laptop. You never know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you mean there is absolutely nothing happening at all when you double click on a picture or is Windows asking you what programme you would like to open them in?

If you go into the drive in My Computer and select Details view what do you see in the Size column? If everything is just zero then the file system could be corrupt. Which it could be anyway.

If you are using XP then try running CHKDSK on the drive. (not sure if it's the same in Vista). Open a command prompt and type

CHKDSK X:

then press Enter. Change the X to whatever drive letter the external drive is (don't omit the colon though). If that reports errors then try

again change the X to whatever your drive letter is. This will attempt to fix any file system errors. If you are lucky that will get things back.

I can see all the photos in the folders, but when I click on the folders they are empty with no pictures inside, its like an empty folder. Its just strange because I can see the pictures on the outside if you know what I mean, theres just nothing in it.

I'll try what you've said.
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    I can see all the photos in the folders, but when I click on the folders they are empty with no pictures inside, its like an empty folder. Its just strange because I can see the pictures on the outside if you know what I mean, theres just nothing in it.

I'll try what you've said.

Have the photos been hidden?

Switch on hidden files by going to:

TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS / VIEW

and select 'SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS'

Click OK
  • Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    the photos on the outside are generated from the thumbnail file, its separate from whether the original files are still there.
    did you write to the drive after corruption?
    did you do the deep scan or whatever? i haven't used recuva lately but recovery utilities generally have a second mode that takes far longer and does a more exhaustic search. i'd also reconnect the drive as internal and remove usb from the equation. assuming a corrupt usb controller created a mess of things. usb corruption is known to happen sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Have the photos been hidden?

Switch on hidden files by going to:

TOOLS / FOLDER OPTIONS / VIEW

and select 'SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS'

Click OK

Done that and nothing happens
    frasera wrote: »
    the photos on the outside are generated from the thumbnail file, its separate from whether the original files are still there.
    did you write to the drive after corruption?
    did you do the deep scan or whatever? i haven't used recuva lately but recovery utilities generally have a second mode that takes far longer and does a more exhaustic search. i'd also reconnect the drive as internal and remove usb from the equation. assuming a corrupt usb controller created a mess of things. usb corruption is known to happen sometimes.

I don't understand that though. When I hover the cursor over the folders its telling me all the names of the files inside and telling me the size of the folder aswell like 40mb. Why would it say all that?
    I haven't written anything to the drive since. I've done the scan twice and its recovered some but the others won't open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand that though. When I hover the cursor over the folders its telling me all the names of the files inside and telling me the size of the folder aswell like 40mb. Why would it say all that?
    What Windows reports as the size of a folder need not bear any resemblance to what the real size is.

Basically the database that stores all the details about the files and folders on the disk can become detached from reality and report all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff. And the pointers to the physical location of the files in the folders could become messed up as well so Windows doesn't know where to find the files.

A lot of these errors can be fixed by running CHKDSK. I would run CHKDSK before attempting any other processes.Preferably it should have been run before you used Recuva on the disk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you explain in simple language how to do this CHKDSK thing? I'm not very technical. Where do I do this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    click start then run then type cmd type chkdsk e: /f
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What version of Windows are you using?

In both XP and Vista open the Start menu then All Programs then Accessories. Locate the Command Prompt entry.

In XP just click on it

If using Vista right click on it and select Open As Administrator.

A simple black window appears. Type

then press Enter. change the X to whatever drive letter your external drive actually is.

This will run the check and attempt to fix any errors
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right it says it has checked the file system and found no problems.

It says theres 64,416 KB in 271 hidden files...What does this mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly what is says. There are 271 hidden files on the disk with a total size of 64MB (ish).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think theres anyway of getting back over 6000 pictures then is there? I've tried all the things suggested and nothing :( Oh well. Its just so annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you ran CHKDSK did you end up with something like this
    39078080 KB total disk space.
      17477686 KB in 88880 files.
         31956 KB in 7491 indexes.
             0 KB in bad sectors.
        203891 KB in use by the system.
         65536 KB occupied by the log file.
      21364547 KB available on disk.

512 bytes in each allocation unit.
      78156161 total allocation units on disk.
      42729094 allocation units available on disk.

This is from my C: drive. As you can see it tells me I have 39GB allocated to C: of which 17GB or so is taken up by 88,880 (rather a lot of 8's in there :D) files

If Chkdsk really did report no errors then it should have reported how many files it found and how much space they take up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if this will work in Vista but it should work in XP.

Open the Command Prompt again and type the following

ATTRIB -H -S X:\*.* /S

Then press Enter. Change the X to the letter of your external drive as before. If there are any files hiding from you on the drive then this command might just reveal them. Bit of a long shot but you never know.

By the way there is a space between ATTRIB and the -H and between -H and -S, and -S and X then no spaces till the second * then a space and /S Make sure you get the \ and / right as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    488,264,768 KB in total disc space
    64,448 KB in 271 hidden files
    33,856 KB in 1058 folders
    21, 981,376 KB in 4665 files
    466,184,576 KB are available

32, 768 bytes in each allocation unit
    15,258,274 total allocation units on disc
    14,568,268 allocation units on disc

I've no idea what any of that means.

Its just really annoying because on 'My computer' when I put the cursor over the hard disc it says how much is used on it and around 20GB has been used. Are the files hidden somewhere or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this will work in Vista but it should work in XP.

Open the Command Prompt again and type the following

ATTRIB -H -S X:\*.* /S

Then press Enter. Change the X to the letter of your external drive as before. If there are any files hiding from you on the drive then this command might just reveal them. Bit of a long shot but you never know.

By the way there is a space between ATTRIB and the -H and between -H and -S, and -S and X then no spaces till the second * then a space and /S Make sure you get the \ and / right as well

I typed that and nothing has happened in the Command prompt.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Chkdsk claims there are 4665 files on there somewhere. These are taking up the 20GB or so that Windows is telling you is in use. That is the line

21, 981,376 KB in 4665 files

Now as to why you can't see them.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I typed that and nothing has happened in the Command prompt.
    Nothing much will happen but if it has worked than any files that used to be hidden should now be visible in my Computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well they haven't appeared. I think i'll just have to admit defeat :( Thanks for all your help anyway. Do you think its worth taking it to shop?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is Chkdsk is telling you there are 4000 odd files there. So they have to be on the drive somewhere. One thing that might reveal where they are lurking is Treesize. http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

This is a simple little utility that you can run which basically shows you where your disk space is being used. It doesn't need installing, just download unzip it and run. Click the SCAN menu and select the external drive.

It will then produce a simple graph showing what folders have what amount of files. If they exist then Treesize will point you to where they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, i'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know how I get on ;) lol