Options

There, their, they're - is it just a minority can spell properly?!

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    use cud of poosted inn teh meney over top picks aboot dis.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AaronWx wrote: »
    Oh dear, imagine if you were worried about something that actually mattered!
    Pisters on fourooms like to moon.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im apprised noun as pouted to it be an grammar no tar spealing miss tack
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, imagine if you were worried about something that actually mattered!

Do you seriously believe that using bad spelling and grammar, or even the wrong words, when communicating doesn't matter?

I don't accept the excuse that "on a forum" it doesn't matter either. It's still poor or inept use of English; and I'm sure that people who do it on forums will do it elsewhere too. I doubt that people reserve their misuse of English solely for forums!
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    is it just a minority that can spell properly?!
    Oh, thank you... that was really bugging me :D but I don't do the grammar-policing thang :p ;-)
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people do it on purpose because they think it makes them sound cool.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you seriously believe that using bad spelling and grammar, or even the wrong words, when communicating doesn't matter?

I don't accept the excuse that "on a forum" it doesn't matter either. It's still poor or inept use of English; and I'm sure that people who do it on forums will do it elsewhere too. I doubt that people reserve their misuse of English solely for forums!

My comment was merely a joke. Of all the injustice in the world, spelling is a pretty small thing to get upon a high horse about.

These grammar threads tend to be people looking down on others who maybe haven't been taught very well, or maybe have learning difficulties or other problems that have affected their education.

If somebody feels the need to educate people on spelling/grammar by posting about it on a forum, they should do it a constructive way and not a mocking/ranting/patronising way.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its certainly not up to you to educate anyone on this forum!
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did derive great pleasure from pointing out to a friend who has a University education that the 1000 business cards he had got printed included the erroneous line " No Job To Small ".

[ that is wrong ain't it ? ]

I think that's the one that annoys me the most. Surely a grown adult must have paid sufficient attention at school to know, as second nature, to distinguish between the words "to" and "too"?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

BIB1 - No it doesn't matter that much if people can bascially understand the post.
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If it happens in my posts then it's just a temporary brain fart because i'm typing too fast and not paying attention.

Doesn't mean I don't know the correct usage and life is too short to do a full spelling & grammar check on DS posts.
    BIB2 - Well I do. As explained. If it was for work or professional correspondence then I would be more cafeul in my spelling and grammar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These grammar threads tend to be people looking down on others who maybe haven't been taught very well, or maybe have learning difficulties or other problems that have affected their education.

Or thick, ignorant, stupid, etc. Let's not ignore the most likely explanations. ;-)
    If somebody feels the need to educate people on spelling/grammar by posting about it on a forum, they should do it a constructive way and not a mocking/ranting/patronising way.
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its certainly not up to you to educate anyone on this forum!

I rarely, if ever, pull people up for their mistakes. I never try to educate anyone.

My point* was, however, that the idea that it doesn't matter how you write, especially on a forum, is just not true.

* A bigger bugbear of mine is people who can't address the points being made and introduce red herrings or strawman arguments.
  • Options
    PpuncherPpuncher Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I can get past it tbf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    * A bigger bugbear of mine is people who can't address the points being made and introduce red herrings or strawman arguments.

Nothing strawman about reminding people who think its ok to pull someone up on grammar and spelling that its patronising (and against forum rules)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing strawman about reminding people who think its ok to pull someone up on grammar and spelling that its patronising (and against forum rules)!

It's not something I do so your response to me as if I do was wrong.

I was making a different point. So again, your response to me was wrong and inappropriate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not something I do so your response to me as if I do was wrong.

I was making a different point. So again, your response to me was wrong and inappropriate.

My second comment was general!
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Adam14 wrote: »
    It amazes me just how many people don't know the difference between these 3 words!

This is basic English yet it almost seems like the majority of people don't seem to have a clue. I continually read posts on these forums and other sites, where people write 'there' instead of 'their'.

I just had to get that off my chest - it just annoys me so much! Do they not teach this at school anymore?

Their is a lot of this, but I don't think there doing it on purpose. I blame they're education.
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This does drive me crazy. I have several friends on FB who haven't got a clue when it comes to using these basic words and I think to myself, I went to school with you in the '80's- we sat in the same English lessons and had it drummed into us how to use these words.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did the there their they're test once on Facebook and got 100%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My second comment was general!

I only responded to your post #59.

Claim what you like but it's there for all to see.
  • Options
    QuofanQuofan Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    I hate it when someone says "for all intensive purposes," and then gets irate when you correct them, claiming it is "just an alternative way of saying it."

It isn't. It makes no sense as a phrase. What in heck is an intensive purpose anyway? One that has suffered serious head trauma and ended up under heavy observation in the ICU?

The phrase isn't 'for all intensive purposes' as you rightly say, it should be 'for all intents and purposes.'

It literally means in 'every practical sense.'
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Quofan wrote: »
    The phrase isn't 'for all intensive purposes' as you rightly say, it should be 'for all intents and purposes.'

It literally means in 'every practical sense.'

Whoosh :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only responded to your post #59.

Claim what you like but it's there for all to see.

Claim what?
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    It amazes me just how many people don't know the difference between these 3 words!

This is basic English yet it almost seems like the majority of people don't seem to have a clue. I continually read posts on these forums and other sites, where people write 'there' instead of 'their'.

I just had to get that off my chest - it just annoys me so much! Do they not teach this at school anymore?

What about people who can't get the basic grammar and tenses right when speaking - like British footballers, managers and pundits.
  • Options
    AxGAxG Posts: 25,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who have been to the shops and say they've 'brought' something, when they mean 'bought'.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What gets up my nose is people who are snobby about things like this without consideration that there could be reasons why that person struggles.

I have no time for people like that, Belligerent attention seekers the lot of them.