Options

Hayley Cropper - most depressing storyline ever?

Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I think this has been one of the most depressing times I can ever remember in Corrie...

It's the new year and this isn't exactly the most jolly of times either. Just watching it last night I thought to myself "Why am I watching this?"

Just awful... They need to hurry up and move on from this sensational, over-hyped drivel. Hope Blackburn goes soon. Unfortunately due to this storyline being so "loved" by the press and critics, this looks unlikely for a long time.

Comments

• Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    I think this has been one of the most depressing times I can ever remember in Corrie...

It's the new year and this isn't exactly the most jolly of times either. Just watching it last night I thought to myself "Why am I watching this?"

Just awful... They need to hurry up and move on from this sensational, over-hyped drivel. Hope Blackburn goes soon. Unfortunately due to this storyline being so "loved" by the press and critics, this looks unlikely for a long time.

I couldn't tune in to watch it as I didn't even find it entertaining. It was just a very depressing SL that dragged on for far too long. I know this will sound bad but I was relieved when Hayley died!

I know other soaps do death SL but they do it in an exiting or an emotional way whichakes the veiwers watch, but for weeks Hayles's SL wasn't on an emotional level with veiwers it was just depressing which got boring and dragged to watch.

Just my opinions.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Adam14 wrote: »

I have found it to be a fascinating SL and I have really admired the performances by David Neilson and Julie Hesmondhalgh, it has been extremely painful to watch at times especially when relating the story to real life and it has also been very emotional (again due to the two main performances). I think in my case watching the story unfold was particularly painful because it seemed/felt so real to me.

I can however understand if others have found it depressing (and I know lots have) but I also think it created a lot of talk about the issues featured.

I don't think I could manage to watch this sort of story on a regular basis though.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I didn't find it depressing as such, just very boring, badly written and badly acted sensationalist rubbish. But lets not fret she is finally gone now, just have to contend to Roy moping around for the next year with Fiz and her bellend boyfriend following him around.
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    I thought it was devastating, especially considering how much Roy depended on Haley. Would have been much better, however, without Fiz's involvement.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Roy is hopeless now on his own..He can't even do up his tie or shoe laces without Hayles..He will be moping about the place in every scene..not to mention shouting and sending the customers on their way
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I didn't find it depressing as such, just very boring, badly written and badly acted sensationalist rubbish. But lets not fret she is finally gone now, just have to contend to Roy moping around for the next year with Fiz and her bellend boyfriend following him around.

The climax was very unreal. It's almost like they were taking the mick out of suicide with Hayley's quick death. On that basis, I couldn't take the aftermath and funeral in anyway serious even in a fictional sense.
  • Options
    spotty_catspotty_cat Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevon1 wrote: »
    I thought it was devastating, especially considering how much Roy depended on Haley. Would have been much better, however, without Fiz's involvement.

For sure. Fiz is a really annoying character anyway and it's spoilt the story for me a bit.:(
  • Options
    Busy_LizzieBusy_Lizzie Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Is she dead yet?- I haven't watched it for two weeks as I absolutely couldn't stand any more of it! Boring beyond endurance!
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The entire SL was woeful , my wife watched it and cried buckets I went on my laptop and had a laugh.

Since Blackburn came on the scene Corrie has gone down the toilet big time.
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is she dead yet?- I haven't watched it for two weeks as I absolutely couldn't stand any more of it! Boring beyond endurance!

Yes thankfully she is no longer around to bother us with her woeful over the top acting. I celebrated with a bottle of wine and chicken kievs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    In the middle of the funeral..... That silly girl Sophie Webster was chasing around after some down and out! Terrible storyline! :(:(
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter/Carla/Tina/Leanne/Nick is a lot more depressing.

As well as Fiz, Anna and Carla's inability to give Roy a minute's peace.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a Corrie viewer so i can't talk about Hayley's death.
    However, i did endure the Jackson suicide in ED a few years ago, and that was by far the most depressing story i've seen in a soap.

The death of a character in the movie Fried Green Tomato's At The Whistle Stop Cafe moved me tears, whereas prolonged, heavy going stories in soaps just bores me to tears.
  • Options
    QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the acting was fantastic, other than that the entire storyline was AWFUL, well from when they introduced the 'right to die' involvement to the storyline
    Hayley looked as though she was going to die anyway, I don't understand why they didn't just let her die naturally, and it turned her so unlikable that I personally felt more sorry for Roy than what I did Hayley
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Yes thankfully she is no longer around to bother us with her woeful over the top acting. I celebrated with a bottle of wine and chicken kievs.

that made me chuckle :D
  • Options
    sunny daysunny day Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Characters have died in soaps before obviously but this was the worst and most depressing ever..there was one episode since she was diagnosed that wasn't Roy and Hayley...the most depressing part was her bedroom scenes, that bedroom is awful,dreary and just horrible..I stopped watching and feel a lot better for it
  • Options
    ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    The climax was very unreal. It's almost like they were taking the mick out of suicide with Hayley's quick death. On that basis, I couldn't take the aftermath and funeral in anyway serious even in a fictional sense.

Entirely agree with both posts. I often find myself affected by poignant scenes, but this storyline and it's playing out left me totally unmoved.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So boring at the moment
  • Options
    MyBeautifulHairMyBeautifulHair Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was treated for cancer for the first time when we were treated to that farce about Maria's breast cancer 'scare', which I found
    was done poorly and in a very rushed, uninformative and misleading way. I hated the way she got extricated so quickly. Any of us that have had that experience know that these things sometimes seem to take forever.

However, the automatic, and frankly just mostly unemotional manner in which Hayley reacted to her diagnosis did not ring true. Where were the tears? When was she shown night after night sitting up worrying? Where were the intrusive thoughts and almost never ending dread. How long was she supposedly having chemo? Simply putting bigger cardies on her to signify weight loss wasn't much of am effort either. The only meds she took were painkillers? Where were the steroids and anti-nauseants? Did anybody ask anybody who'd actually lived through cancer? My guess would be a resounding NO. They just slapped the right to die issue in there for sensationalism and possibly scheduling.

Yes, my username is a little joke that I used to help us get through. Cause I didn't have any hair.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was unnecessarily depressing. I mean why did they want to bring the suicide element into it? Just made it more depressing and made Hayley very unlikeble by not considering Roy's feelings at all.
  • Options
    _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was treated for cancer for the first time when we were treated to that farce about Maria's breast cancer 'scare', which I found
    was done poorly and in a very rushed, uninformative and misleading way. I hated the way she got extricated so quickly. Any of us that have had that experience know that these things sometimes seem to take forever.

However, the automatic, and frankly just mostly unemotional manner in which Hayley reacted to her diagnosis did not ring true. Where were the tears? When was she shown night after night sitting up worrying? Where were the intrusive thoughts and almost never ending dread. How long was she supposedly having chemo? Simply putting bigger cardies on her to signify weight loss wasn't much of am effort either. The only meds she took were painkillers? Where were the steroids and anti-nauseants? Did anybody ask anybody who'd actually lived through cancer? My guess would be a resounding NO. They just slapped the right to die issue in there for sensationalism and possibly scheduling.

Yes, my username is a little joke that I used to help us get through. Cause I didn't have any hair.

We did see her react emotionally to the diagnosis? I thought the episode on boxing day when she found out she had weeks to live was really emotional with her breaking down in the panto queue and outburst at Kylie. Very sorry to hear about your cancer but with all due respect, everyone will react differently to it so whilst it may have been frustrating for you to see it played out in a way that didn't ring true to yourself, it could have been more similar to somebody else's experience with cancer.
  • Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Agree with most points. The storyline was not a succes IMO (and that's absolutely no reflection on the acting of those who play Roy and Hayley).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »
    We did see her react emotionally to the diagnosis? I thought the episode on boxing day when she found out she had weeks to live was really emotional with her breaking down in the panto queue and outburst at Kylie. Very sorry to hear about your cancer but with all due respect, everyone will react differently to it so whilst it may have been frustrating for you to see it played out in a way that didn't ring true to yourself, it could have been more similar to somebody else's experience with cancer.

That is very true and I had meant to include the fact that I am aware that all cases are different. Indeed, sometimes it's all that gives one hope, that it will be different. The truth is that nobody knows what it's actually like unless they've been in or very close to possible death at the hands of this intruder. And it was my opinion in both cases, that the stories were given short shrift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    It was unnecessarily depressing. I mean why did they want to bring the suicide element into it? Just made it more depressing and made Hayley very unlikeble by not considering Roy's feelings at all.

I agree totally, Danyell. At a time when there should have been love and support in evidence, instead the arguments and strife and Hayley' desertion of Roy at a time when he was in unbearable emotional pain was unbelievable to me.
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    In the middle of the funeral..... That silly girl Sophie Webster was chasing around after some down and out! Terrible storyline! :(:(
    When Sophie is on heat there is no stopping her, she stalks her sexual prey, waving her bible to catch them off guard; a distasteful storyline at any time. The Hayley story could have been pure pathos, but it was spoiled by the intrusion of Fiz and Carla; both good actresses, but not needed in this storyline.