Options

Uni essay - question about the charity sector

jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello

I don't often come on here for essay advice, but I had a quick question.

Does anyone know of any charities out there which don't collect donations on the street or anything like that, they simply rely on wealthy donars and businesses. I'm writing an essay in Stonewall, and this seems to be their strategy. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kittleskittles Posts: 4,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A look a stonewalls most recent audited accounts suggests fees account for the biggest portion of their income

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/documents/stonewall_equality_ltd_2013.pdf

The charity sector is hugely diverse encompassing everything from grant making trusts like City Bridge to eton as well as the ones more familiar eg Red Cross . Yes there will be some who rely on donations/legacies but there aren't many
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    I suppose you might try the Charities Aid Foundation and the Charity Commission to see if they can point you in the right direction plus you can approach individual charities directly in the sectors that you are interested in (http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/charities).
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any places you might visit:
    Catherdrals, English Heritage, National Trust.

Depends on how you are defining charities, as it is a very diverse sector.
  • Options
    NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Royal Opera House
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    jde-tv wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any charities out there which don't collect donations on the street or anything like that, they simply rely on wealthy donors and businesses. I'm writing an essay on Stonewall, and this seems to be their strategy. Thanks!

There are loads of them.

Why not flick through the lists of charities on the charity commission website and see if there are any you recognise.

Locally, we have a charity called "Fusion" that runs our local swimming pool.